Aussies Living Simply

Planting Rosella

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden Planting Rosella

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I picked up a Rosella plant on sale today and was wondering what are the best planting conditions for them. We do get a mild frost over winter but can also get over 40 degrees in summer.

I was thinking about putting it in a new grove I am creating around the bananas as they are doing well in their location. Any recommendations as I haven’t seen any of these around in this area before :shrug:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Rosella are a Hibiscus and don’t cope well with frost if you can plant in a very protected spot or put some shadecloth over it in Winter it may survive.

My one and only surviving rosella has finally flowered, wonder what I can make with a a handful.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Thanks Judi. I have planted it in a grove next to my bananas. I figured if they have survived a couple of years where they are and are fruiting this year we may have a chance in that spot. We do have some hessian though which we covered the bananas with when they were young so I’ll probably put it over it as soon as it starts to get cold at night.

Maybe make a cuppa with your handful?

BlueWrenBlueWren

This is not the “normal” time to plant/grow rosellas as they usually like hot weather – around here we plant them in September.But having said that we had too much “hot” and way too much “wet” and my rosellas have only even started to look hopeful in the last few weeks – so I guess anything is possible! Go for it – and good luck!

BelBel

I planted some from seed this spring and they already have little fruits on them. So, do I pick the fruits and leave the plants for another year/s? Still not sure how big I should let the fruits get before I pick them…

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I usually pick rosellas before the seed pod inside goes brown, a tip I have to separate the fleshy bit you want from the seed is to use an apple corer just push onto the stem end and it will cut the fruit away from the pod.

clareccclarecc

Rosella seem hit and miss to me – had a great bush 2 years ago (some frost) nothing last year from several seedlings, one survived in community garden in Coffs (low frost) that I’m just harvesting. I use this recipe for cordial that doesn’t need you to separate calyxs from seed pod (sorry I didn’t note the origin):

Harvest a large quantity of rosellas, to fill your biggest stainless steel saucepan about two-thirds full. Wash well. Cover the fruit, seeds and all, with water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently until soft, and the red colour has faded from the calyx. Strain through a sieve, throw away the fruit and measure the liquid. Add the liquid back to the saucepan and add a cup of sugar to every cup of liquid (1 litre of juice = 1 kilo of sugar). Heat gently until all the sugar is dissolved, stirring often. Once the sugar is dissolved bring to the boil for one minute. Take off the heat; add the strained juice of lemons (depending on availability and to taste, I would add up to 10 lemons to 3 litres of cordial) then stir in 2 tablespoons of citric acid. Bring back very briefly to the boil. Bottle into clean, dry bottles and seal while still hot. This keeps at least for a year.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I planted heaps of seed I had saved and not one came up. Last year I picked a whole bucket and bought them upstairs for jam making and forgot about them so they ended up on the compost. Now I have rosella seedlings coming up everywhere.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.