Aussies Living Simply

Planting Garlic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    ccBearccBear

want to get the garlic panted today so do you put the pointy end down or up.

Cheers 😀

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

The pointy end goes up.

What variety are you planting?

ccBearccBear

Thanks Lady b not sure what the name is ,received them from TT. They are a large white and that’s about all I can tell you.

OK of to plant them.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

What or who is TT???

mum2twinsmum2twins

Tassie Tiger :tup:

ccBearccBear

Right on M2T :metal:

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Ah right! Now I understumble!

mbstewartmbstewart

You might find this interesting. http://stewarts-vg.blogspot.com/2009/03/garlic-part-1.htmlGarlic Part 1

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

That’s OK LB M2T got it right for CCB:lol: Yup pointy end down:tup: The variety is commonly know as Oz garlic but I like to think of it as “Sandford Sweet” You can call it what you like CCB. Hope grows well for you. I will be planting ours this weekend as we have had some decent rain and the soil is now nice a moist.

marzmarz

Tassie Tiger wrote:

Yup pointy end down:tup: … .

Noooo! Pointy end UP or it will come out in China 😀

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

marz wrote:

Tassie Tiger wrote:

Yup pointy end down:tup: … .

Noooo! Pointy end UP or it will come out in China 😀

Perhaps that’s why all we seem to see in the supermarket is Chinese garlic….. 😉

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Just checking just checking :shy:

Good LiferGood Lifer

:lol::lol::lol:

theateamtheateam

Okay, so does that mean that Garlic goes in the ground in May and gets harvested in Spring?? I live somewhere with light frosts now and am feeling confused about when to plant/harvest. Is it basically the same as onions and carrots that like a bit of chill over winter to get good roots growing?

Ta, Amy

ccBearccBear

You did not say what region which will help give you a correct answer. I live in the hinterland of Caloundra, Sunshine Coast Qld and we also get frost here. Last year when had 3normal frost and one bad black frost.

Here I have been told plant April early May and harvest when the leaves start to die back. I grow mine in a wicking bed which has 30% shade cloth over it, I am hoping this will protect from the frost here.

This is my first year planting garlic and will be interested in seeing how it goes. All the segments I planted have sprouted so so far so good.

Thanks to TT for all. :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.