Aussies Living Simply

Pips on mobile 'phone – any ideas?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Pips on mobile 'phone – any ideas?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    tipsypixietipsypixie

Hi folks

Recently when chatting with my hubster on my mobile I’ve been getting little pips on my ‘phone, a bit like call waiting but more erratic. He never hears them on his and we’ll try swapping ‘phones this evening to see if it happens again. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be.

The ‘phones are both fully charged. We are with the same carrier and receive free calls to each other as part of our plan. It doesn’t happen all the time but it does seem to me that the pips happen in a corresponding time frame to a serious issue that my hubster is involved in. Nothing illegal and sometimes amusing but serious all the same.

I know precious little about mobile ‘phones. I can make a call and receive and read a text message and that’s about it. It’s annoying and disruptive and I’d like to get a handle on what it may be before I take it up with our provider.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses.

Cheers

C.

Ave a goAve a go

No Idea:shrug:

It doesn’t happen all the time but it does seem to me that the pips happen in a corresponding time frame to a serious issue that my hubster is involved in. Nothing illegal and sometimes amusing but serious all the same.

Do you think your phone has been bugged 😉

tipsypixietipsypixie

Don’t know Ave a go, but I expect it’s possible. Have no idea how it’s done though. The pips are driving me nuts, very intrusive. Do you or anyone else maybe know if it can be done via an email address?

Cheers

C.

karyn26karyn26

On ACA a while back they did a story on people accessing other peoples mobile fones.SPYWEAR is what it was called and they can access other fones, how I dont know as I missed it but if you go to the ACA web site you might find the story there

BUT really I think a good idea would be to see your fone service and get them to look into it if someone is listening in on your conversations I think it might be illegal,and if they are taping your conversations that is a jailable offence.

ccBearccBear

Set your phone back to Factory settings and then reset what you use. If the pips are still there have your phone check out by a technician

tipsypixietipsypixie

Thanks karyn26 and ccBear – I’ll have a look at ACA and get the kidlet to set my ‘phone back when she gets home from school today. I wouldn’t know where to start and don’t want to break it altogether.

Cheers

C.

BullseyeBullseye

tipsypixie wrote:

…a bit like call waiting but more erratic..

Hi tipsypixie,

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you’re describing when you say like call waiting but more erratic. 🙂 Do you mean the pip sound itself is more erratic than a “call waiting” call sound or when the occurrence of the pip takes place is more erratic?

Could it be a call duration timer? That lets you know, by a piping-like sound (depending on phone brand) every minute of duration of calls you make. But that of course would not be described as erratic and it wont happen when someone calls you. :confused:

Resetting to factory settings as ccBear suggested will disable a call duration timer, since its not a default setting.

I wouldn’t think spyware, if activated on a phone by a spy-er, would be so obviously noticeable to the spy-ee with an annoying piping tone. Right? :tongue:

BullseyeBullseye
    tipsypixietipsypixie

Thanks heaps for those links Bullseye. Very interesting viewing and reading.

In answer to your question, it actually both. It’s definitely not a call duration timer, if it were it would happen when I’m on calls to other people, plus we don’t have that in our plan.

You’re right, it probably wouldn’t be smart to alert the listenee with a pip. Mind you, I’m old enough to remember when you heard pips on your land line telephone that it was a definite signal that your conversation was being recorded. It used to happen on talk back radio and was occasionally used when I worked for government agencies. We had to (and I believe still do) inform the other person that the call was being recorded and if we didn’t the pips were a form of alerting them as well. These days of course you get the recorded message that your conversation ‘may be recorded’ and you never hear any pips.

I really don’t think I’ve been ‘bugged’ but I’d love to know what’s causing the pips. Haven’t had the time yet to redo my settings – an awful lot of other stuff happening here at the moment and while it’s annoying, it doesn’t have a priority.

tipsypixietipsypixie

That was rude of me, I hit ‘Post Reply’ before saying:

Cheers

C.

So now I’ll have to say it again (and no, I’m really not that obsessive 😉

Cheers

C.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.