Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Pickled Peppers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Due to special request here is the pickled peppers recipe :p

My Dedda always made them with those long, big, light green ones, but really anything from the capsicum family can be substituted for this, the fleshier the better. He also made chillies this way aswell which are a bit more fiddly (again, the long ones with more flesh than seeds are the best.) and it doesn’t really matter which colours you use and a bit of variety is always good for colour. You could really even use a variety of different types (capsicums, chillies etc)

These are usually made for special occasions, but because I love them so much my Dedda always made them espesially for whenever we visited. When I learned to make it I found it was the simplest/easiest recipe and now make them whenever I find the peppers for sale at the markets.

You will need:

– at least 1kg of peppers – I’ll give this recipe using the long, green ones I described.

– Salt

– 1/2 cooking oil 1/2 olive oil mixture

– 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water preserving mixture (or if you like more vinegary things you can use all vinegar).

– lots and lots of garlic (about 8 cloves at least) chopped into quarters.

Method.

– Chop your garlic and let it sit in a bowl of white vinegar mixed with a pinch of salt whilst you prepare everything else

– Have your oven preheated to 180 degrees and put your peppers in for half an hour, or until the skin is charred nicely an looks like it’s mostly bubbled away from the pepper flesh – This might require turning them halfway through cooking.

– The flesh of the peppers should now be very soft and as cooked as it can get without falling apart. actually, it nearly will be falling apart – but this is okay.

– Once this is done, take the peppers out of the oven and leave them in a plastic bag or under cling wrap to sweat for 15 minutes.

– Unless you have chefs hands and can handle the heat, you might now want to leave them to cool a bit before starting on this next step.

– Take your peppers and gently pull the skin away from the flesh, trying to keep the flesh intact as much as possible. The thinner the flesh is, the more difficult this is, this is why chillies are a bit fiddlier, but it’s really okay if they don’t look perfect anyway. They still taste great.

– Heat up your vinegar and water mixture to kill the bacteria, add salt to taste (I like mine pretty salty! but that’s not for everyone)

-let that mixture cool a little, so as it wont cook the peppers anymore.

– drizzle some oil over your peppers, not much just to give a bit of an oily texture to each pepper

– Get your sterilised jars ready and place the peppers in neatly, along with the pieces of garlic that have been sitting in vinegar.

– Pour over the vinegar/water mixture to cover the peppres and then screw the lid tightly onto each jar.

Place in the fridge for at least a week before eating. As with any pickled things, the longer the better.

About the garlic, after a few weeks, the garlic loses it’s harsh flavour and becomes really deliciously crunchy and yummy. This could almost be a pickled garlic recipe, as your family will probably be fighting for these little gems, once you discover just how good they are.

Oh, and by the way, I didn’t specify how to chop the peppers. If you are using the long ones I described – or chillies or any smallish pepper, keep them whole! and don’t take the seeds out.

If anyone has ever experienced the heart of an artichoke, you will appreciate this and will find that if you scrape most of the seeds off of the heart of the peppers, the texture and flavour of what remains is absolutely to die for! – okay, maybe not great, but you might want to have a try. chewing on pickled pepper tops after a big sunday lunch of roast chicken is one of my favourite child-hood memories of visiting my grandparents house.

Bon appetite 🙂 (This is a Yugoslavian recipe, but I don’t know how to say enjoy, in that language)

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:hug: Thanks so much for the recipe Littlechief, its such a long recipe for you to have written out, so it is greatly appreciated.

Only 1 question, do they have to be kept in the fridge??

I look forward to trying this out, Im going out to pop a few Caps/Eggplants seeds in today.

Cheers

Lizzie 🙂

mauzimauzi

Thanks for the recipe. One we will be using.

Cheers

Mauzi

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.

Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers?

If Peter Piper Picked a peck of pickled peppers,

Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

busylizzie post=321290 wrote: :hug: Thanks so much for the recipe Littlechief, its such a long recipe for you to have written out, so it is greatly appreciated.

Only 1 question, do they have to be kept in the fridge??

I look forward to trying this out, Im going out to pop a few Caps/Eggplants seeds in today.

Cheers

Lizzie 🙂

Hi Liz, I’m not too sure, I know that my grandad always kept them in the fridge and I keep all my pickled things in the fridge aswell, so for safeties sake, I’d say yes :). But in saying that, I suppose if everything is kept sterilised and your jars are air tight, I think you might be able to keep them in the cupboard. (please don’t rely on this though as I’d hate it to be my fault if something went wrong :p)

AuroraOzAuroraOz

This recipe sounds fantastic! I will have to try this one out thanks for sharing :hug:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.