Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Pickled Eggplant

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

This is for anyone who ends up with surplus of eggplants 🙂 It’s an Italian recipe I learned from my nonna. I really have faith that they’ll do her justice, as they’re absolutely scrumptious stirred through pasta or just on their own or on an antipasto platter. -It’s hard not to eat them all!

Presice measurements are difficult because everyone will be using different quantities, but I’ll just give this recipe for 2kgs of eggplants and you can adapt it depending on how many you have. A quick tip, these are really, really morish so you might want to make as many jars as you can :p.

You will need:

– Peeled Eggplants (at least 2 kgs)

– Salt (about a handfull per kg)

– Fresh or dried thyme (a gnerous amount)

– Bay leaves (about two per jar, for decoration/flavour)

– about 6- 8 cloves Garlic (sliced into coins)

– Chilli flakes or ground pepper (optional but delicious!)

– A mixture of half olive oil-half canola (the canola is to stop it setting in thr fridge)

– A Mixture of 1/2 vinegar – 1/2 water (enough to cover the eggplant whilst boiling.)

– Sterilised Jars

Method!

– Slice the peeled eggplants into 1/2 cm slices. Then slice those into little strips (I like to make the strips about 3 – 7 cms long and different thicknesses.This is for variation and so you can decide which you like best.)Try to average about 1/4 – 1cm wide.

– Place the eggplant into a colander in the sink or over a bowl in the fridge and toss the salt through. You will notice that all the liquids begin to drain away. Put a plate on top and press down hard with your body weight. Put a big can of something on top and leave over night or at least 4 hours to drain. This step is important as it gives the Eggplant that juicy, meaty texture.

– Take the plate off and give another big squeeze with your hands to remove some extra juice.

– Have a pot boiling on the stove with your vinegar/water mixture and put the eggplants in in batches and boil for 1 – 2 minutes, then strain.

– Have a big mixing bowl ready, add in the garlic and thyme and pepper/chilli flakes if using.

– Then the oil mixture – This is important – Don’t add too much so that the eggplant is swimming in it, just enough to give it a good, thick, glossy coating.

– Have your prepared jars, I think 2 kgs makes about 3 jars. Spoon in the Eggplant and pack tightly, pushing out as many air bubbles. Also now is the time to stick some bay leaves, chillies or fresh thyme sprigs to the inside of the jar for presentation.

Cover the tops with a bit of the oil mixture and screw the lids on tightly.

– Last step – This is the hard bit – Leave the jars for at least a week in the fridge, the longer the better really. I made mine about a month ago and they’re really at their best now. 🙂

Ps. I have photos but for some reason uploading them isn’t working. I’ll try get it figured out asap :).

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Thanks Littlechief, I will be printing this one out to give it a go when or if I ever get any Eggplants to grow successfully down here. Might actually go out this weekend and plant seeds in the hothouse :tup: Have find the best recipes are those tried, tested and handed down over time 🙂 (wouldnt have one for marinated Capsicums by any chance :whistle: )

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Thanks for that LittleChief. I hope to have lots of snowy eggplants this year and will be looking for recipes to preserve them. :tup:

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

busylizzie post=321115 wrote: Thanks Littlechief, I will be printing this one out to give it a go when or if I ever get any Eggplants to grow successfully down here. Might actually go out this weekend and plant seeds in the hothouse :tup: Have find the best recipes are those tried, tested and handed down over time 🙂 (wouldnt have one for marinated Capsicums by any chance :whistle: )

Actually, yes I do! 🙂 and it’s from my Dedda (serbian) on my mums side, so it’s actually also handed down :tup: . It works for any kinds of peppers. I’ll make a post about it. Should be up in about an hour 🙂

baringaparkbaringapark
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.