Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Picking Mangoes today………

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jmcal41jmcal41

and I need to know, what is the best way to wash sap off picked fruit. For some reason this year the sap burn seems to be particularly bad. Usually I just rinse in clear water and this is sufficient but not this season. Thankyou in advance for suggestions. Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to all!! 🙂 🙂

karyn26karyn26

Dont know anything about sap but I do loooooove mangoes,I’m on my way,not to pick but to consume.LOL

I believe a mild dish detergent can be used. Also try and sit them the right way so the sap drips straight out, not all over the mango.

mudhenmudhen

I’d probably stick to warmish water, but others might have better suggestions. However as one who suffered rather severe mango burn a few years ago, I can say PLEASE be careful with that sap. I had a helper tossing me mangoes down from near the top of the tree and got splattered with sap. My face swelled up, and I had the WORST itching on face, arms and legs that I have ever experienced. I missed one of my kids yr 7 graduation that was held 5 or 6 days after our mango picking. DH assured me that even with a hat and dark glasses I would frighten small children! Mangoes are part of the same plant family as poison ivy, and the itching is probably just as bad.

GoingGreenGoingGreen

i had no idea about the sap thanks for the info, sounds like you need to be very careful when picking.

i put 5 trays of mango cheeks in the dehydrator this morning, my house smells wonderful

roundthebendroundthebend

When you pick them put them straight into a large tub of water and the sap sinks to the bottom……………..leave them for about ten minutes. The riper the fruit on the tree the less sap squirts out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.