Aussies Living Simply

PIC in NSW and sheep!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • #257368

    I’m just wondering about PIC’s in NSW. DH and I have just got 8 ha / 20 acres in NSW, and I’m looking at getting a few sheep to try and keep the green stuff down a bit before we move.

    Looking online I saw that PIC’s are required from 1st September, so I went ahead and applied for one. I hope I’ve done the right thing! Is everyone else having to deal with it as well? What is the general feeling about it?

    The sheep we’re looking at are some wiltshire horns – anyone here have any? Do you like them?

    Thanks for any and all info! I have a feeling we’re in for a big learning curve. 🙂


    PICs are required by the DPI and its just about keeping track of animal movements in case of things like Hendra Virus etc. In many cases in order to purchase an animal through official channels you will need a PIC. Then to transport them you will need a waybill. I dont have a problelm with having to have a PIC. DPI know that I have one cow, roughly 20 chooks and two beehives. They support me by giving me information on bee diseases and the like so I think its a worthwhile trade. They are sources of good information.

    No idea re the sheep sorry


    Thanks GirlFriday! I do like the DPI website and all the good info, that’s for sure. I was a bit surprised by the LHPA part though. This is a separate organisation that’s not government but I think we pay rates to them and apply for a PIC through them. As this is my first farm, I had no idea. I assume this is a NSW only thing, or I’m sure I would have heard about them before. :huh:

    I’m re-thinking the breed of sheep. Was reading they’re not a strong hearding sheep, so maybe they wouldn’t like grazing in tight groups with electric fences. Hmm.


    Hi purple hat, I have Wiltipols, which is a polled wiltshire. Perfect for small blocks, no shearing, throw a lot of multiple births, quiet and good foragers. Sounds like nonsense to me about hearding, mine are inseperable.


    Yes, you need a PIC and you apply through the LHPA (it used to be called the Rural Lands Protection Board). You need a PIC if you have livestock on your property, even horses now are included. When you buy a sheep, techncially, the seller will fill out a Travelling Waybill, which states what PIC they were at, and which PIC they are going to. This is the document you produce if you are pulled up by the police etc, during transport. You don’t need to forward the Waybill on to anyone, you keep it (or 7 years I think LOL).

    I have Wiltshire Horns, and whilst they don’t herd like say Merinos, they do follow each other, and do come feed well and follow each other up. They are fairly low maintenance, particularly the no shearing part. I bred up my WH flock to about 15 ewes, then changed to a dorper ram, for a quick growing lamb.

    I definitely have no complaints about my WH’s, and the horns come in handy for grabbing!




    Oh wow, thanks to you both Muddyfeet and Bushy for the sheep info! Perhaps these are the sheep for us after all!

    We just came home after spending a couple of nights there, and the grass and weeds sure could do with some eating! seems like a waste to just cut it down. The fences are in good order, but a stray dog did find its way in and out of the property without issue. I imagine full grown sheep wouldn’t be in too much danger though. There is a big dam and some shade trees.

    Getting to see a farm tomorrow who are doing the Joel Salatin thing (similar in some ways to what we want to try and do), so hopefully that’ll give us some more ideas.

    I applied for a PIC, but havn’t heard anything about it yet, but then again, DH hasn’t checked his email and we didn’t have internet out at the property. (Which is the least of the issues! LOL)

    Thanks again. It’s good to know that all is normal with this PIC stuff then. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.