Aussies Living Simply

Perpetual Lettuce

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    meg53

As we can’t start our vegetable gardens until we get our sloping backyard terraced and raised beds put in,:( I thought I could grow some vegetables in pots. Looking at what other people have done on this forum has inspired me.

I would like to grow lettuce that I can continually remove the side leaves from and leave the rest of the plant growing. Can anyone please recommend varieties that don’t get too bitter?

Thanks

-Meg

Tullymoor
    ccBear

If you do not want bitter lettuce remember to keep the water up to them. It does not take much to turn lettuce bitter if they do not get a good steady supply of water.

kathy

I just buy punnets of mixed mignonette the oakleaf are great for harvesting as needed and cos do the job too. I plant one punnet every 4/6 weeks so when one lot is starting to bolt to seed the next is ready to go. They do well in any sort of container mine are presently in a set of old laundry tubs.close to the house .

meg53

Thank you everyone. In the long term will try the seeds but in the short term will go to the nursery and buy some punnets of mignonette.

Cheers

-Meg

suziwong66

i’ve been growing cos lettuce in trough pots for the past 3 months and i’ve been eating from them twice weekly, they grow that fast. just cut the outter leaves and eat…it only feels like a day later there’s a heap of new leaves ready to pick again. i haven’t had any pest problems with them. i’d like to try baby spinach next and maybe some rocket too.

meg53

Thanks Sue, hopefully my lettuces will prove as fruitful as yours. I think baby spinach and rocket are a good idea they are so yummy in salads. I like the sound of pest free vegetables, makes life a lot less complicated.

Have already planted some lettuce in pots might try your suggestions too.

Cheers

-Meg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.