Aussies Living Simply

Pear & Cherry Slug!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Pear & Cherry Slug!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    plumtree

I spray with pyrethrum but find them on the plant or trees the next day. It is an endless and mucky job to squash them but still they appear. What do others do? Is there a secret, very effective potion?

forest

I have no idea if this would work in that situation, plumtree, but have you tried beer traps? Maybe leaving a jar of beer, tilted on its side in the mulch at the base of the tree, might lure them to their groggy death.

Geoff

Wood ash is my favoured remedy for these critters. Give the tree a dusting of fine ash and it dries them out.

stark

Geoff is spot on …wood ash cleans them up big time

Polly

We used wood ash on our three year old pear trees and quince tree for the first time yesterday and we looked a picture by the time we had finished. We just stood back and threw handfuls of the ash at the leaves and almost cleaned ourselves up in the process. πŸ™‚

Is that the way it is done and is it usually only necessary to do it the one time each year or are we likely to get more of those slimy little creatures as the ash disappears?

stark

more than likely will have to do again

Polly

Oh dear. Thanks Stark, I’d better keep a close eye on it then.

bushy

Polly, if you dont have access to ash, plain flour will work just as well, only prob it tends to stick on the tree longer. Hit them as soon as you first notice them.

plumtree

Thanks Forest but these are an insects rather than slugs in the usual sense and because they have little interest in beer that leaves more for me. My ducks happily take care of any of the usual snails and slugs. These pear & cherry slugs look like tiny slugs and are just as unpleasant to handle. They are not going to kill a tree or shrub but they will make a mess of it very quickly. When you have a largish tree with a tiny ‘slug’ on every second leaf you can appreciate the challenge. I will try the wood ash and many thanks to everyone for their help.

Anonymous

We have 10 large cherry trees, so ash and hand picking (!!!) is out of the question… We spray with Dipel immediately after harvest. Do a google search if you want to know what is in Dipel. We spray once or twice a season with excellent results.

Polly

So does that mean you don’t have to actually see the slugs when you spray or do you just ignore them until after harvest?

maggie

Oh dear! I got all excited when I read the title of this post….thought it was going to be a recipe for a pear & cherry alcoholic wine to make!! πŸ˜†

plumtree

Dear Rob6014,

Thanks for mentioning Dipel, I will try some! It sounds like it may have a few more applications. The wood ash works on the ‘slugs’ but Dipel may combat some of the other ‘things’ that are also present.

Anonymous

Polly, we ignore them until after harvest. They do a bit of damage, but not enough in that space of time to set the trees back. By the time we harvest though, it is time to kill them! (Evil slimey little horrors…)

Polly

Thanks Rob6014. I see that spraying after harvest would work well with cherries but my poor quince and pear trees would be a right mess if I waited until their fruit had been harvested 😐

Lucky you to have ten cherry trees. YUM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.