Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

peanut Butter Tree

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bdm6125bdm6125

I have one that is growing happily in a pot. It flowers over and over but never sets fruit. Does anyone grow these??? I was told they are self polinating, but am at a loss as to why I never see fruit! 😐

starrubystarruby

Ive never seen a Peanut butter tree sounds interesting..off to google it .:geek:

SonyaSonya

We’ve got a few here – our’s are fruiting at the moment and they are self sowing around the place.

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/peanut.htm

Sonya

marzmarz

Just found some seeds of this tree (Bunchosia) that we saved from fruit we ate near Mackay a few years ago. I didn’t know it was called Peanut Butter tree.

Will the trees grow from these seeds?

SonyaSonya

Should do, ours self sow under the mature trees and the seedlings handle transplanting well.

Sonya

zippyzippy

Oooh! How well do they handle movement? Postable *wink wink?;)

Our sole peanut butter tree fruited after about 4 years. Red pods with delicious red paste inside which is very similar to peanut butter. I now also have started one from seed in a pot.

I am very excited to have a pineapple I grew from a “top”. The fruit started as a brilliant red while small, plus all the foliage around it also turned red. Now that it is larger it has reverted to normal colour. It is the largest one I have ever grown and I have covered it with a bag so that we will get to eat it. I think it is the smooth pineapple comparing it to varieties in Supermarkets. I am even more motivated to keep planting tops, even if it does take 3-4 years to produce and only about 50% of them at that. We have 2 acres and gradually adding more edibles, approx 100 fruit trees, veg and lots of herbs over the ten years we have been here. Our biggest problem seems to be the gum trees which take up a lot of the moisture. We love the wildlife here at Delaneys Creek, but they do eat more than their fair share so we need to cover most of the fruit. First post so have not yet worked out how to use this site properly yet, but will learn eventually.

ErthgirlErthgirl

Sounds like paradise ediblelandscape :wave:

Edited to add… Brigitte, do you think it’s because our climate is not tropical enough?

Might be a little too cold?

bdm6125bdm6125

Not sure erthgirl. Mind you, I have one loney fruit on it at the moment, so maybe it just wasnt old enough????

Fingers crossed next year there will be…2????? 😐

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.