Aussies Living Simply

Peak Oil occurred in 2008 – A must read for people interested

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Peak Oil occurred in 2008 – A must read for people interested

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author

and most people are sheep and follow thier herd master and what he says … BAA Baaaa Baaaa

that is the biggest problem we face .

grumpy3grumpy3

andre_halcyon wrote:

But in the long run it comes down to what you believe and think. In one way the result is similar and thats a complete change to the world we live in.

No, in the long run, the universe won’t care what we think. PO will/will not/has already happened regardless of what either side of the debate claim. Reality is a lot bigger than our thoughts.

But I may have missed your point so keep reading before retaliating…

Yes you got it wrong but no matter. It does not matter what the subject if the approach is wrong you are on your own with no one interested. 😐

Dennis

grumpy3grumpy3

Edited by Lady B – quotes deleted text.

(I think we’re all a bit confused with this one, Grumpy)

:geek::confused:

DB346DB346

Another Bump from me :whistle:

Peak Oil is now widely accepted to have already occurred in 2008 (Peak Oil updated Primer courtesy of Energy Bulletin) and we are now living/experiencing the early effects of a downward energy spiral in which the age of ‘cheap oil’ coming to an end, is having effects on our globalised/energy/constant-growth dependant way of life.

I found this report from the Energy Bulletin to be most interesting on this topic. If you have not read, enjoy!

What Peak Oil Looks Like:Peak Oil looks like

Personally, I am convinced that things will not get any better in regard to our old way of life; this is probably a good thing in order to fundamentally change the basis of our existing society. We will see more Companies/Govts fail and more localised and community based businesses pop up. There will be more localised effects that you see around you, increases in unemployment, larger transport/production line dependant businesses closing, higher rates and fees, increased costs in all utility services to name but a few; already happening in my parts and there for all to see….. if you open your eyes to them 😛

Anyhows, some food for thought…… :whistle:

owlbrudderowlbrudder

DB346 post=336385 wrote: I found this report from the Energy Bulletin to be most interesting on this topic. If you have not read, enjoy!

What Peak Oil Looks Like:Peak Oil looks like

That made a fascinating read, especially as I had just posted this little essay. We do, indeed, live in interesting times.

BlueWrenBlueWren

I look at grand kiddies………..and I wonder……or try not to. 🙁

GrethGreth

I remember sitting back in the 70-‘s and listening to someone say ‘peak oil will happen’ and now I think it really has, fuel prices will never go down again, Soon someone will notice that shipping stuff from China is expensive.We will see the results very very soon.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

BlueWren post=336399 wrote: I look at grand kiddies………..and I wonder……or try not to. 🙁

I look at my own kids and try not to wonder. I just try to educate them as much as I can on what we are doing and hope that puts them in good stead in their futures. It scares the living daylights out of me if I think too much about it.

GrethGreth

Big Hug misty, we have kids and we think the world may be going down the gurgler.

But it wasnt wrong to have them, we must just teach them how to really survive.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I can’t think too much about it, we can only do what we can do,

what will be will be

DB346DB346

Agreed, I don’t think those of us with kids should worry to much. :tup: :hug:

We are educating them, giving them skills and knowledge that will be invaluable in their future. The kids/grand kids of people on here are going to be far better off 20 years from now, compared to those of the general sheeple. In my opinion, things will progressively deteriorate over 20-30 years and not in 2-3 years.

I look at this as an opportunity to get ready, educate and prepare for a simpler less energy dependant life. As long you are aware of the Energy related changes happening around you, remain positive and prepare then you are setting the best example for your children. You may be considered a little eccentric or even crazy now, but in 20 years time, we will be considered pioneers…..

Will see I guess :blink:

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I have to share this:

DS1 who is 9 came up to me the other night and asked what he could do around the house to help. Now this is rare because it just never happens so something is rubbing off :laugh: . I told him we are doing what we can like using solar lights, turning of appliances when not in use, growing our own food, getting chickens, have water tanks, etc etc etc. Off he runs to our bathroom where the solar lights are kept on the windowsill as they get a fair amount of sunlight there and I don’t have to leave them outside in the weather and as he goes off for his bath takes the solar light with him and had his bath by solar light. 🙂

I am educating them, one small step at a time. Today he stayed home from going to the park for a get together with some others to help his dad build the chicken coop. I am winning!!

I was at the park and one of the dads was sharing how he is impressed with some new Apple technology gadget thing and how they don’t have enough technology in schools and have more at home and I thought to myself, our kids probably see more technology at school than at home and I LOVE IT!!! What they see at school is based on consumption and greed – I was so proud at that moment to think, “my kid is at home building a chicken coop with his dad” not running around and feeding his face with cake and holding the latest I-phone (however it’s written 😛 ). I know there is a place for technology but it is so nice to think I am educating them on other things that will prepare him for a less energy dependent life in the future. :tup:

diannedianne
    Participant

:tup: well done to you Mistyhollows. for a 9 year old that is well done. I have one so I know :S :laugh:

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Thanks dianne :tup: A proud parent yes but I did find one of the missing solar lights this afternoon under a cushion on the lounge in the study…..it’s a work in progress :laugh: I do wonder why he had it in the study though, perhaps it was DH who left it there :shrug: :laugh:

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.