Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Peak Coal next year

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    alokinalokin

Peak Coal Next Year: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/09/100908-energy-peak-coal/

How is the situation in Australia? And how in China?

For the climate the news are good but the economy, our lifestyle, toilet paper, electricity…. Doooown.

RVGRVG

Errr, do a google on coal fields in qld. You’ll see, they haven’t even touched 5% of the available coal yet!

Not sure about the rest of the world.

Anonymous

yeh the japanese just bought 2.6k hectares of grazing land in central qld to dig up coal hey. coal before food.

and the chinese now with 300++ coal fired stations going to build another 300+ to add to them so they need heaps of coal, and we got it.

len

grumpy3grumpy3

In QLD the coal is very close to the surface and in a lot of places only several feet down. RVG is correct to say QLDS coal has not been touched more or less. Even where I am in SEQLD its all coal and in Nambour on the sunshine coast Petre creek has exposed the coal along its banks.

diannedianne
    Participant

DH works in coal industry and says there are not going to run out to soon, its all the oil it takes to run everything that is my consern. when oil starts to run low the price of coal will go through the roof, and along goes your elctric bills.

GgangGgang

does anyone give a thought to how burning coal is a major cause of climate change ?

roadwarriorroadwarrior

dianne wrote:

DH works in coal industry and says there are not going to run out to soon, its all the oil it takes to run everything that is my consern. when oil starts to run low the price of coal will go through the roof, and along goes your elctric bills.

Bingo! :metal:

Ggang wrote:

does anyone give a thought to how burning coal is a major cause of climate change ?

Yes. If you live anywhere near sea level you should be concerned. There’s still enough coal in the ground to melt all the ice on the planet. When the oil starts to run low coal will be converted into synthetic diesel to fill the gap. The big question is, can Australia build the conversion plants fast enough or make them financial during a global oil crisis to supply ourselves with enough fuel to run industry and aggriculture. And if the USA collapses and China doesn’t like that we are consuming more of our own coal, will they sit on their hands and watch?

So don’t live near the ocean and don’t live near coal fields.

Well bugger me, I live near both :tdown:

ccBearccBear

They are now starting to drill between Noosa and Gympie for the extent of coal deposits and have also applied for a permit to explore and drill in the mary valley.

looks like the dam may have been the better option.

grumpy3grumpy3

They have already ok’d the mining to start at Bauple 50 klm north of Gympie

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

My SIL works in a coal mine and was told last week that if the aussie dollar hits $1.05 they will shut the mine down and they will all be out of work. They told him they are currently losing about $5 million a week.:confused:

GgangGgang

roadwarrior wrote:

dianne wrote:

Bingo! :metal:

Ggang wrote:

Yes. If you live anywhere near sea level you should be concerned. There’s still enough coal in the ground to melt all the ice on the planet. When the oil starts to run low coal will be converted into synthetic diesel to fill the gap. The big question is, can Australia build the conversion plants fast enough or make them financial during a global oil crisis to supply ourselves with enough fuel to run industry and aggriculture. And if the USA collapses and China doesn’t like that we are consuming more of our own coal, will they sit on their hands and watch?

So don’t live near the ocean and don’t live near coal fields.

Well bugger me, I live near both :tdown:

but rising sea is not the only problem – what about searing temperatures – lack of rainfall etc etc

I watched a story on one of the current affairs programs through the week where people were complaining about high electricity and water bills but not one of the whingers even considered using less :tdown: one couple saying they cant pay it etc but had a great big plasma TV !

redhen2redhen2

in the southern highlands (south of sydney), there are moves to mine coal. Of course, it’s much too pretty to mine, so locals are getting nervous and forming action groups.

Again, there is NO mention of using less of anything. Indeed, some talk of getting Nicole Kidman (who has a pad in Sutton Forest) to join the fight. And who wouldn’t take her protest to produce less power seriously?

You’ve got to love a NIMBY with a range rover.

alokinalokin

Whole Australia lives on mining. And we all know that mining is awful destroys our climate, the landscape and poisons everything (as you can see in Hungary right now). If mining stops we will be all very poor, but maybe better.

Often resource rich nations doesn’t fare very well. Economy often booms and busts and there is too much foreign interest like in Iran and Iraq, especially if Australia would be the only nation with big coal reserves left. The only advantage Australia has it that it lies very isolated.

If China really wants to build all these power stations then the little tiny hope I had for our climate melts like the arctic ice.

DanHowerDanHower

Interesting thoughts in this thread.

As far as I know China is not only building 300 new coal fired power stations, but 2 new ones per week. They will not stop building after 3 years and 300 new ones. According to Bill Bonner electricity supply is the single most important point of failure for China.

Coal contributes to CO2 emissions, that’s right. I don’t know anything about climate change, and if it has effects on that. But whichever way, I have no doubt that every single bit of coal will be burned somewhere on the globe, and not be left untouched because of climate concerns.

Roadwarrior, for synthetic diesel you don’t need coal but can use worn tyres or wood chips or plastic or whatever rubbish. Catalytic depolimerization process, works very well. One day we might dig up our rubbish tips.

Australia would be in a perfect situation by selling all the fossil fuel including coal to China, happily take their money, and build renewable energy plants with that money. More plants than needed, much more plants. What happens next?

Coal and other fossils get scarce. China would then be very happy to buy solar electrictiy from Australia – if Australia has build the renewable energy plants in time.

ccBear: Any drilling nowadays should seem very suspicious because more and more they are after coal seam gas, or shale gas. I recommend watching the film Gasland which is easily found on the Internet. The fracking technology f*cks the drinking water supply sooner or later, and the whole thing must be stopped in the early stages. Government and big business still try to keep that low key in Australia, and many people don’t even know about that. They even plan to frack near the Blue Mountains where 4 million Sydneysiders get their water from.

Then there is again talking about rising sea levels. Could anyone tell me where that has happened? I am near Pittwater, and have been to Port Stephens lately. All unchanged. Since 20 years. I’d rather believe my eyes than a computer simulation of some dubious government agency like the IPCC.

And then to the last post, alokin: From my knowledge there is not enough fossil fuels to cause considerable climate change. That is not the problem.

The real problem is the end of fossil fuels, and were Australia thinking forward we could put ourselves in a win situation. Just give them what they want, the coal. And use the profits from that to use renewables for our future energy supply. That would be the greatest coup of all times.

Anonymous

g’day danhower,

what profit are we going to make when foreign investors own the coal mine? and the rail is being sold off to profit rakers.

this climate change conjecture is driving this panic type thinking, even when we have a weather event the underlying motive is the fear factor of climate change causing it instead of bad development filling in flood plains and swamps.

len

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.