Aussies Living Simply

Pathetic Potatoes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    katerina

Ok, so i need your advice, sometimes things just go wrong, even for a so called professional ahem…

This is the first time i have grown potatoes, and i expected it to be a sinch. I guess that is where it went wrong.

I have not been as attentive as I would like but one thing after another has occurred.

First they got desecrated by looper caterpillars, then I think they also dried out and I think they are also experiencing some rot from the tubers coming into contact with fertilizer.

So should i give up and replant the bed with other crops? or should I persevere with what is left… you know see it through to the pathetic end?

this is what yhey looked like in the beginning

katerina

potatoes

katerina

This is what they look like now

katerina

by the way, that nice green healthy one in the middle is actually a self sown tomato.

Did they flower at all, Katerina? How long between the ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots? I wouldn’t give up yet, unless you know what things are like underneath the mulch. I’d leave them ’til they all die off and then see what sort of harvest you get.

P

marigold

Choose one to dig up – if its totally no good, cut your losses and plant something else – if it has some small ‘tatoes, leave the others to get bigger. I assume that they are not actually finished? Its hard to tell from the pic – how long were they in for?

katerina

I planted them at the begining of Spring, so about 3 months ago and they have not flowered.

marigold

Potatoes do not necessarily flower – 3 months probably means they are ready to dig:D:tup:

Happy chipping

katerina

Hi everyone and thanks for your advice,

well it looks like it wasn’t a failure after all. Silly me did not even think they would be ready for harvest. What a great surprise.

Any now i can use the bed for other things.

What a great crop, I am very pleased with it. Some are a bit small, but it is all good and i can’t wait to try them now. Yum :tup:

Lady Bee

Oh well done, Katerina. They look wonderful. I always think small potatoes are better, just scrubbed and steamed in their skins. More attractive and better food value than peeled spuds.

What varieties are they?

katerina

thanks lady B

pink ones are potiac and yellow ones are nicola.

I wasn’t able to source anything more exotic, but i will be on the look out for more old fashioned varieites for next year.

lynnie

hey katerina,

Good job on your crop of spuds… I am completely jealous!!! There be lots o mash tatas at your house

darls

Wow! That’s a bumper crop!!

Enjoy your mashed tatoes over the next year, eh? πŸ˜‰

Cheers! :hug:

Nice crop. I always get a number of small ones amongst mine too. As long as there are some big ones as well, I’m happy. Can’t see any green ones there so you’ve obviously mulched them well. For a first time potato grower you’ve done very well :clap:. Wait until you taste them, they will be far superior to what you can buy in the shops, especially those Nicolas, I love Nicolas.

P

katerina

Now does anyone have any good storage advice for me?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.