Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Passion Fruit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    russellmrussellm

I have a passion fruit vine that is 2 years old and about 20 metres long. It has lots of foliage and produced hundreds of flowers over summer. Some of them were fertilised and began to grow fruit but when they were about the size of a golf ball, turned yellow and subsequently dropped off. The end result has been no fruit at all. I have two boxer dogs in the yard so blood and bone fertiliser is not an option. Any ideas?

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Hi russellm :wave:

I can’t help you, other than posting a link or two:

http://www.nelliekelly.com.au/faqs-about-passionfruit-vines.html

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/forum/2/1/Growing-fruit-and-vegetables/topic/2501

But I just wanted to say WELCOME to ALS and enjoy the experience. :tup:

No doubt you will get plenty of replies shortly.

Cheers

BronBron

Have you had lots of rain? if not, they may not have had enough water. not sure of any other reasons (sorry, my mouth is still fresh with the taste of one of my own passionfruit fresh off the ground 😉 )

goodfoodgoodfood

Sorry Friend..don’t know more about this !!

caddiecaddie
    Participant

I had 20 Sunshine Special

In the beginning they were fine then trouble

At first I thought perhaps possums as there were no fruit developing, then I realised

Something was attacking the flowers, there was an opening in the base some times very small sometimes large, the embryo fruit was eaten.

We had lovely flowers, lots of bee’s but no fruit!!

I took samples to the Ag dept, they had no idea as to what was causing the damage.

I sold the property so never did find out what was the cause!!!

sue_johsue_joh

Hi,

What shape are your leaves? We had passionfruit and the rootstock took over the plant and we had the same problem fruit would start to grow then drop off. If they are small and pointy then its the rootstock, if they are nice and big and rounded at the ends its the ones you want. Good luck

Sue

COBCOB

Hello russellm,

We had a similar situation some years ago and was told we had planted the vine in a spot where it was getting too much water so the vine grew beautifully but the fruit never formed properly.

lmd80lmd80

Agree with Suejoh, it sounds like rootstock! We had to pull ours all out and start fresh!! Devastating seeing so many flowers and little fruits… To get nothing! Fingers crossed we get some next year.. 5 finger leaves are no good from what I found!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.