Aussies Living Simply

passata may be off

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up passata may be off

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    debbieBeal

HI all, new to this site, though is looks great. I made passata on Friday night. I used a hand operated passata machine. But I had saved the bottles over time.  I sterilsed them using water. Added the passata and slowly boiled them sealed, I think maybe not tightly enough for several hrs. Now looking at the bottles, some are bubbling. Can anyone please advise me. Thanks in advance. 

Deb
    mudhen

Hi Deb, I guess using caution is the best way for you to go with your passata.  I heat mine on the stove and then put it into hot jars and straight into a boiling water bath for 20 minutes before turning off the heat, which has worked for me every time as far as sealing the jars goes.  Sometimes you can get lids that don’t seal well, though, and that is very disappointing.  It’s important to check for seals when you take the jars out of the water bath so if they aren’t sealed you can deal with it before the contents go off.  Not all tomatoes are created equal as well, and these days a lot of the commercial varieties are not very high in acid content.  To make sure they are acidic enough to preserve safely, you can add a small amount of citric acid to each bottle before sealing.  I think it’s about 1/2 tsp per litre bottle, but you can check that online with a google search.  I hope you have better luck next time – having home preserved tomatoes is a very good feeling!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.