Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Palm Fronds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    SnagsSnags

I got a few palms and lots of fronds…..I have been useing them as mulch but they are piling up as they dont break down real fast and it looks a bit snakey……Was thinking  of getting a shredder for the smaller ones and maybe build a pizza oven for the bigger stuff…..Does anyone have a good shredder that will do fronds,I know the 2 arent best friends?

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

even the tree loppers wont shred them, they tend to clog up the works

SnagsSnags

Theres an electric shredder at Bunnings that people on whirlpool are liking,its does palms  apparently says it on the front”shreds palm fronds”…people on whirlpool say they are happy with its palm shredding…https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-2400w-silent-electric-shredder_p3380292….it has a different action more up and down than round and round so it doesnt clogs as much….it wont do the big fat ends just the stems and leaves if dry…..I might give it a go…I think they have decent warrantys…..once I reduce the mountain,I should only have a few fronds a month.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

all you can do is try it

SnagsSnags

The alternative is too much snake habitat,lots of fires or getting a trailer…..Ozitos usually have a 3 year return warranty

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

gotta do what you can do and hope it works,
    is it cheaper than a trailer??

SnagsSnags

I would have to rent a trailer, so probably …A lot more convenient too.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I guess I am naughty as I just burn the blighters.

SnagsSnags

Thats the other option…I always wanted to build a wood fired pizza oven and they would make good kindling,and I would then cook something based on fuel load.

TropicalRoseTropicalRose
    Participant

Hi snags. Don’t know if you remember me? Good to see you are still here.
    If you are on a property like I used to be you can put them in the paddock and then when the slasher comes through it shreds them nicely. Not an option for everyone I know.

SnagsSnags

Im on a suburban block in a small town but I could they them out when they mow the neighbours lawn but its just a guy on a ride on I dont think he would be happy,they keep throwing stuff towards the edge and are part of the build up problem…though there is a heap of rocks they keep throwing I was going to build something with…maybe the base of the oven.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Far to rocky here to get a slasher on. Here is a question, my ride on is too low even on the highest setting,darn rocks, would it work if I could get larger wheels to put on it?

LioraLiora
    Participant

Larger wheels would give you greater clearance, but too much larger may make it underpowered because of the effort required to turn larger wheel.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

That is a point. I am a bit worried about its centre of gravity being to high

SnagsSnags

Are the rocks are loose and small enough to move?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.