Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Out throw-away society

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BullseyeBullseye

Doesn’t really work in such simplicity…

For e.g. GMO crop growers affect neighbours’ “organically certified” crops, businesses and therefore livelihood.

Another e.g. People releasing non native, exotic animals, into new areas just so they can fish and hunt and or make money out of the venture, with complete disregard for the endemic animals and plants that are affected by the presence of the new species.

Humans have an effect that affects everything around them. It’s impossible to fragment and isolate into groups and become unaffected.

People need to voice their disapproval of how others trash our world. The “throw-away society” should always get a serve, i.e. “force your ideas on to someone else”, when they rubbish our backyard our neighbourhood our world.

:tup:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Being a bit broke means that you have to fix or do without, our pressure pump was having problems the pressure tank wasn’t holding pressure and the pump itself had a leak where the pipe connects so thought we’d be up for a new pump we don’t have the money for one right now so thought we’d get the pressure tank first as the leak wasn’t too bad DH put the new tank on and while he had the pump out checked why it was leaking and found a hairline crack so we checked to see if we could get the part didn’t think we’d get it as the pump is about 25yrs old…. well bugger me :ohmy: they still make the pump and the part…. now we can have a shower without the cycling just anice constant pressure 🙂

We like the kerbside stuff we even check online for where the cleanup is in Brisbane if we are going down.

Bron post=353944 wrote:

Anyone got any ideas on what I can use the inside of my front loader for? It has sheltered chooks in the rain (and if this forecast doozy flood hits us, it will do so again), but one day the floods must stop so rather than throwing the whole machine, I’d like to pull it apart, use the outside for a bench but if I could use the inside for something, that would be better.

We re-used ours by making it a fire barrel. DH attached it to an old fan stand (welded it I assume) and we put logs in there and burnt them in winter. Because it was on castors we could actually move it wherever we wanted!! LOL

Now, many years later it is used for the egg shells, we put them in there and have the kids bash them with a blunt object to crush them and re-feed them back to the chooks for shell grit. We have the best egg shells in the area! No cracked eggs when you drop them! One day we were mucking around with some older eggs and I was pretending to throw a tantrum like one of the kids…I threw my egg HARD on the lawn and it bounced quite a way and stayed intact…. hahaha, makes me gigle just thinking of that, the kids had their mouths open – not sure if that was because I was ‘throwing a tanty’ or because the egg survived!! :jawdrop:

We don’t have hard waste collection here 🙁 but I remember it in the city! We do have a ‘dump store’ at our landfill though! And several good op shops in town that deal with furniture.

We have so much ‘stuff’ here that ‘could be handy one day’ that I’m seriously considering calling in the scrap metal guy to help pay for stuff we DO need right now!! LOL

My DH fixes all manner of things with old parts or simple cheap new bits, all the farmers round about have cottoned on to this – I swear they talk! – and now he gets called out to fix pumps, motorbikes and tractors and he usually can just with the bits laying about the farm. They LOVE it!!

JinjaJinja

I love that twice a year there is a kerbside collection in my area of ‘stuff’ and I laugh the most when everything we or others put out gets taken, just love that, some before we even get back into the house (a quite good mattress a few years back that we had no room for) even an old washing machine that we had literally rolled down from our house to the verge (VERY steep block, losing bits on the way :tup), although perhaps that’s saying we put out stuff we shoudn’t, but I just want someone to use it if we’re not, no point in having it just for having’s sake and then we have one of our politicians who described people who take things off these collections as ‘scum’. Seriously… :shrug: I know who the ‘real’ people are. I’ve seen strawberries grown in washing tubs before! :tup:

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

saffa post=355963 wrote: I’m a South African interloper, so this may not be much use, but if it is a stainless steel drum, we use them here as barbecue pits, mounted on a few bricks as a base. The holes for ventilation are already there, so ya just pop a grid on it, and barbie your heart out :laugh:

What a good idea, Saffa. A plough disc makes a pretty good barbeque plate too!

Welcome to ALS. I hope you stick around.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Bumping up this thread because I am thinking of making ‘recycle, reuse, repair’ my theme for 2014.

I guess I want to try harder to repair things before they get thrown out.

Sometimes I get discouraged that when I take my stuff to people I think will repair them, they tell me it is not worth their time.

Recently I found a shoe repair shop in Perth that actually wanted to fix my heels -and charged me only $17 to do so. That was most encouraging!

KristyKristy

I decided not to replace my toaster when it died, instead using the grill, but my Dad bought me a new toaster whilst he was staying with me.

I have a old sewing machine from my Nan, but it keeps cutting the thread whilst sewing or constantly coming unthreaded. I rang for a service, but the price of the service is the same price as a new machine. What do I do?

My oven has died, the hotplates and grill still work, I have been doing without the oven, but it would sure come in handy for roasting and making bread…

I used my playstation for a few years to watch DVD’s instead of buying a new one, in the end my sister bought my a new/secondhand one that works much better with scratched disks.

I read something recently about clothes shopping and being environmentally friendly. It said the best way was not to buy any, but if you did need to buy some op shops were the next best option. I love finding clothes in the op shops, so much cheaper then brand new. My last few pairs of jeans and tops have been pre-loved.

I’m far from perfect, but trying to make better decisions. It does help to keep coming back to this forum!

mudhenmudhen

There really are so many grey areas here, aren’t there?

Kristy, I have decided that if I can live without something that is great, but like your experience with your dad and the toaster, what I can do without is not always compatible with the rest of my family! I tried using a grill for a toaster years back but with my distracted nature, burnt the toast so badly one day that my neighbours thought my house was burning down when I opened everything up to let out the smoke – lucky no one called the fire brigade. I guess doing the research to buy top quality products that will (hopefully) last the longest is the best that we can do sometimes. You can buy cheap toasters and get a new one every year when they die or buy a good one that will hopefully live a bit longer. Speaking of toasters, we saw a great short film yesterday on the ABC that explains exactly how they work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjITVjlNJkI :laugh:

Other appliances can be similarly replaced with good quality machines and the dead or broken ones can often be given away on Freecycle. You never know who might want your oven, etc who is handy and able to fix it, or strip it out for the good bits.

I’ve bought the vast majority of my clothes from op shops for the last few years and have been really happy with that. The last time I bought undies from Target they were hopeless and fell apart much too soon. I’d love to do a sewing class on making your own undergarments, I know there is one offered through the WEA fairly regularly. Or I could just try following this tutorial I pinned ages ago: http://comeandseetheseitz.com/2010/03/09/panty-tutorial-how-to-sew-underwear/ Sometimes you can get lucky and get new clothes in op shops too. If you have the money to spend, though, sometimes buying new and good quality is worth it too. One of my favourite bloggers did this post about buying organic socks: http://beingfrugalbychoice.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/the-40-socks.html

Squizzy, freecycle is your friend! Give away your handsaws or advertise them on Gumtree if you would like to sell them for a few dollars each. Or offer them to a local high school tech dept or TAFE – they might actually teach students skills like how to sharpen a hand saw! I get where you’re coming from with your business in mind. And I know nothing about handsaws, but imagine that they all go blunt at about the same rate no matter what quality you get. I saw something last year about a program that picked up used tools etc from tradies and passed them on to others who needed them. Apparently many tools (including drills and wheelbarrows) are purchased new for each job and then tossed.

mudhenmudhen

Goodness me, I didn’t realize linking to youtube would embed the video into my post! If you have time, it is a good watch though!

KristyKristy

It definitely has a lot of grey areas mudhen, an interesting topic. Just checking out your links now.

I really would like to start sewing again. Had a lot of lessons at school and from my mum, but not sure how much I will remember of it now!

KristyKristy

Undies instructions look easy enough to make. I have thought of doing something similar to make more shoulder bags. I have two I bought from the Adelaide Show and they are fantastic, but one is falling apart. Need to unpick and use it as a pattern.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.