Aussies Living Simply

Our Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    narellehnarelleh

don’t think i like those birds either Judi 😉

We have the scrub turkey here and he/they has played havoc with some plants this yr – stripping mulch and soil out to get to the root area. They have eaten every bunch of banana’s since the cyclone last yr – not sure how i am going to stop that yet :S

But your idea of not mulching the vege garden may be an idea for me too – the bandicoots dig it all up and make nests in it – uprooting all the plants all the time – is problematic to mulch too when all plants are covered in cages as well (to stop rats eating produce)

I love remembering back – I often think back to when Dad i planted stuff together as a child – he would be horrified at how badly i grow things like corn, rosellas and choko!! But i am pretty good with beans :tup:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I don’t like the choughs :angry: , we do have scrub turkeys here but they stay in the bush only once did we see one up at the house yard. We don’t get bandicoots in the houseyard but there are heaps here what we do get in the yard is cute little bettongs.

DH has the downpipe in place and has spent the past 4 days digging to find the polypipe that some idiot buried 50cm deep today the tank should be plumbed in but there isn’t enough water in it to even reach the outlet (can’t think what it’s called today) for pumping.

Next on the agenda is to find someone else with a ute or small truck so we can get the materials to start fixing the gully.

The vegie garden is starting to look good again with all the weeds gone, but the rest of the gardens look shocking and it isn’t totally my fault as I will decide this bit needs weeding I’ll get all the stuff together and then discover there is a bird nesting in the patch of weeds so off I go looking for a place there are no nests and it is hard as we now have honey eaters, wrens and finches nesting in the yard.

I was lucky enough to have grandparents that loved gardening and my parents also had a vegie garden, chooks and lots of fruit trees.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Judi-1 wildlife-3 :laugh:

I did a heap of weeding today and was really getting into it when what should pop up in front of me but another honeyeater dashing out from its nest… so I thought I’d neaten up the citrus only to find a beautiful green frog sitting on the piece I wanted to prune off, OK over and plant the white choko :jawdrop: I dug up a frog so I moved it down to the other end of the garden and I did get the choko planted :tup:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

The wildlife is winning again I thought I’d go and get some nice compost and mulch from our huge heap only to put the fork in and pick up a pile of grass but luckily leaving the snake behind we think it was an Eastern Brown about 5ft long :jawdrop:

DH had to go to town today and as usual we de-frog the car and check under the bonnet well just as well, today as there was a nest of green grass and some other weedy stuff just behind the fan not sure what made it but we had rats in the other car and that is a story in itself just call DH Basil Fawlty :laugh: :laugh: also once had a snake in there too wrapped around the belt and fan.

This arvo I was weeding and I heard some noise, thinking it a snake I moved away from where I was and there were 4 quail in the house yard no more than 3 metres away.

I’ve got the garden growing the best it has been in years but it really needs more compost and organic matter.

I bought a tomato plant last week and put that in and it is looking good, plenty of basil on the go, I have 1 rosella up out of 7 :angry: I really need about 6 plants to get enough for chutney and jam. I was really plesed with myself about growing carrots so have put more in and beetroot just sprouting, beans should start to flower in a few days, I have to divide the arrowroot and lemongrass, took cuttings of oregano and lemon balm and elderberry finger crossed they grow.

If I can I’ll take photos tomorrow.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Thats a good sized snake!

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I did get round to some photos today, I thought I’d better take some because they have forecast 3°C for tomorrow and the night after which means probably a frost here :angry:

A pretty to start:

This rose was here when we bought the place and it struggles on every year to put out a handful of beautiful pink roses.

I also thought this sunset looked nice.

I bagged my plums not totally because of fruit fly but so the birds can’t get the fruit, you can see 3 plums inside the bag,

Purple King beans

The yacon has finally shown

I got 3 out of 4 zuchinni up

The green choko is much happier than the white choko

Here is the white one

I now have a record of what I had growing in the event we do get a couple of frosts.

BelBel

Looking good Judi. You’re miles ahead of me. Good luck with the frosts, hopefully they don’t set you back to much.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

We’ve had a little rain here which has been nice, the garden looks happier for it too.

The little plums are growing so I should get some before Christmas.

Purple king beans are just starting to flower and when I came home from getting the car window fixed I had to re-mulch the garden.

Borlotti beans are flowering.

The Yacon looks great grown quite a bit.

Zucchinis have flowers but most are two flowers on single stems.

I’m starting to think I’m not meant to grow Chokoes last week I checked the garden in the morning and there in the middle of the lawn was the green Choko fruit but the plant was OK as it had lots of roots when I planted it, today I found the mulch removed and some of the roots exposed hope it keeps growing.

I also have water chestnuts growing and they are multiplying nicely.

I bought a Cape Gooseberry and before I planted it took some cuttings well they are starting to grow roots so I’ll take some more in a few days.

Tomatoes are flowering and I have some small fruit about the size of a bean.

I will get DH to put the pump on for me tomorrow and give the garden a bit of a drink.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

:clap: picked our first tomato today.

Watered the garden today but the dam is going down really fast 🙁 so I’ll have to reduce what I water and the rest will have to fend for themselves.

BlueWrenBlueWren

I meant to pick our first tomato yesterday evening too………hope it’s still there! All my toms are self sown.After last year’s mammoth harvest from self sowns I’m not going to grow “proper” tomatoes anymore.I have dozens of self sown plants, and they grow strong and sturdy.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Here are the water chestnuts they are growing much better than I expected and the tub is full of tadpoles…. And the frogs are out there making lots more :tup: :laugh:

BelBel

Nice water chestnuts Lady B :tup: I’d love to have some water chestnuts. I’ve even got a tub I could use. Where did you get yours from? Do the frogs self-populate your water tubs?

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Bel post=351172 wrote: Nice water chestnuts Lady B :tup: I’d love to have some water chestnuts. I’ve even got a tub I could use. Where did you get yours from? Do the frogs self-populate your water tubs?

I don’t know how “Lady B’s” are going but mine are going great :laugh:

I got them from Green Harvest, but I don’t know if they have anymore also could also be the wrong time to get them.

They frogs here believe I am their slave working hard just for them, they actually drive me crazy by snuggling down into the moist potting mix and pushing out the seeds/plants :angry: they self-populate without any help from us :laugh: :laugh:

BelBel

Judi B post=351179 wrote:

Nice water chestnuts Lady B :tup: I’d love to have some water chestnuts. I’ve even got a tub I could use. Where did you get yours from? Do the frogs self-populate your water tubs?

I don’t know how “Lady B’s” are going but mine are going great :laugh:

I got them from Green Harvest, but I don’t know if they have anymore also could also be the wrong time to get them.

They frogs here believe I am their slave working hard just for them, they actually drive me crazy by snuggling down into the moist potting mix and pushing out the seeds/plants :angry: they self-populate without any help from us :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry Judi! I’ve stuffed up your name before too :blush:

I tried Green Harvest but they had sold out. Will try again next season. I’m going to try catching a few tadpoles to get my pond going. Do goldfish eat tadpoles tho?

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

WOW long time since I posted …. Time flies when you are having FUN, just waiting for the FUN.

The weather has started cooling off we’ve already had a light frost and every night I’m going out and putting the tomatoes to bed.

The water chestnuts are starting to die back so will be able to harvest them in about a month, the tadpoles had better hurry up and grow legs as the water is getting very cool and will freeze over if we get a heavier frost.

I don’t go out much anymore as it is such a hassle…. it just about doubles the distance we have to go.

Starting from the driveway you scramble upstream along a track that DH made to a ramp he also made, down to the sleepers across the gully, everything has to come across this and it isn’t much fun in the dark, then downstream being careful not to slip or twist your ankle/knee then up to the other side of the driveway.

I added photos but they are out of order …. P4240302a is the start, then P4240303a etc….

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1,006 through 1,020 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.