Aussies Living Simply

Our Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

We went to town today and when we came home the baby had flown

the nest, bit sad to see it gone but happy that there is another

bird flitting around the garden.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Lovely photo Judi! Don’t they grow and go so quickly!

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I did the usual morning walk around the garden and thought I’d pick some of the grapefruit off bad move I nearly squished the life out of a green frog hiding between a fruit and the leaves.

I also got to see the baby honeyeater it is so nice being able to keep an eye on the babies as they grow.

I was going to prune off some of the dead wood in the old apricot and right at the top I found 3 small apricots :clap: and one of the younger trees flowered just as we got a frost and that one has no fruit but another that I thought was dead has flowers on it now…. so I may yet get some fruit.

I’m starting to feel a bit better and have been planting stuff beans climbing and bush, calendula, deep purple and all seasons carrots, zucchini, yacon, choy sum, tomato seed started and have all my other seed ready to go in.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Glad you are feeling better, Judi.

OOOOHHHHH! New smilies!! :hug:

……..although I appear to be hugging myself!! Thought that was only at my Tai Chi class……….

BelBel

How lucky you are to have frogs 🙂 I’m hoping some will move in here now that we have a pond. Glad you’re feeling better and making more progress in the garden. Good luck with those apricots :tup:

narellehnarelleh

ah a good does of garden therapy and some small chamges bring a new hope and renewing for our souls! 😛

I am pleased youa re feeling more hopeful :tup:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

narelleh post=348832 wrote: ah a good does of garden therapy and some small chamges bring a new hope and renewing for our souls! 😛

I am pleased youa re feeling more hopeful :tup:

I meant I’m slowly feeling better after nearly 2 months with the flu, not hopeful on anything.

I’m not sure much will come from the stuff I planted we only have 500gal of water for the house… no misprint 500gal is all.

We need rain to fill the tank but if it rains we wont get the drive done and we can’t get a new tank in…… so damned if we do damned if we don’t.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I got out and worked in the garden today DH put the pump on so now the garden has had a good drink and we have water to flush the toilet..

I mulched trees today and put compost around the mulberry then got some black gold for the vegie garden and did a little weeding then just before dark went and mulched the mulberry again ….. :angry: bloody birds

narellehnarelleh

which birds are those Judi? DO they scratch in the mulch like chooks?

The scrub turkey does that here but the others don’t?

You sound like us in the wet season – i love it – no running into town cos we are stranded here – not using excess $$ but then hubby cannot get to work either so we have no $$ coming in to pay for the electricity etc anyway – catch 22 hey.

Can we request light rain overnight -not enough to cause run off but enough to water garden etc so the driveway can still be done and tank installed and then a couple of nice downpours to fill said tank. Let’s all hope that you can have it both ways – for a change :whistle:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

narelleh the birds are white-winged choughs they go around in gangs and just plough up everything I really hate them getting into the vegie garden mulch is like a magnet to them but haven’t had much trouble with them in the vegies since I stopped mulching, they would just rip out small plants and the larger ones would end up with roots exposed and if we were away for a few days I’d come home to nearly dead plants.

I know others want rain but I don’t want much just now a few mm 5 would be enough, the gully has stopped running it is still seeping but as usual we’ve hit another snag “Life wasn’t meant to be easy” but seems every step we make is the wrong one DH needs some stuff and we can’t get the one he want up here so we went to Caboolture and they have the one he wants but $300 to deliver it now this is the bit that gets me all confused the stuff up in Kingaroy costs more and even getting it delivered from Caboolture works out a few hundred $’s cheaper…. we did have someone lined up to go down and get it from Caboolture but we haven’t been able to contact him so now have to find someone else :angry: and we all know our luck is going to run out… hang on that wouldn’t be so bad we only have BAD luck.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Judi B- Did you soak the rosella seeds in hot water before planting? I had no luck with germinating them until I read a snippet in a BOGI booklet about the need to presoak them. I did that and had success.

I understand your frustration about the lack of rain. We are onto tank two now and I am sure I will find out soon enough how deep the dam is because I water once a week to try and keep my gardens alive. I love gardening too and i am dismayed at how many plants I have lost due to the dry conditions (took us a while to get the pump on the dam organised). Between the lack of rain and my big boofy labradors who like to play fight and break off trees that were just starting to look good I sometimes feel like I should just find another hobby.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

GirlFriday I do know about soaking them I grew them before but I do think it was the seed I thought they looked a little thin :angry: so I just wasted time waiting I bought another pack of seed different source yesterday so I’m having another go I’m wanting to make some more chutney.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

No worries 😉 I did think you would have already known that. My kids LOVE rosella jam- I had a splendid crop last year and learnt the hard way that you pick them the day you are going to make jam- not pick them and then leave them in the bucket a day or two. Wasted all of them ;-(

BlueWrenBlueWren

Where did you get your seeds from Judi?Two years ago I had two wonderful big bushes with no problems or pests,but last year I was given seedlings but had no end of trouble with caterpillars and mildew, and none of the fruit developed properly.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

First lot of seeds I had doubts about but I ordered them anyway can’t really complain they did send me a free pack of watermelon seed, the second lot od seed are Eden seed and I got them in Kingaroy.

Planted another lot of seed this morning and for some reason my mind went back to when I was young and I was with my grandfather working in his garden planting seed of carrots, beans and even rosellas then I remembered that he would make a cup of tea sit in the garden drink his cuppa then plant rosella seeds in small pots and water with the water left in the teapot and he always had good results.

I planted some Yacon and it is finally showing its pretty green leaves, I have 3 out of 4 zucchini up, carrots are looking good, beans climbing and bush are up, cucumbers up, brown onions are starting to bulb up, potatoes are growing well, parsley in and happy….I can’t think what else is in the garden right now.

I’ve been tidying up the garden and now have 8 lemongrass plants and will probably end up with a heap more, still have several clumps of arrowroot to cleanup and divide.

Viewing 15 posts - 991 through 1,005 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.