Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Our Patch

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 1,020 total)
  • Author
    mauzimauzi

Judi, they are beautiful photos. Serious camera envy. I am relegated to my mobile phone at the moment. :D:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

There are storms everywhere on the radar but I’ve had enough rain so it can all go somewhere else.

I have re-done a raised garden bed to be a self watering garden a bit like a wicking bed but without the pipes etc…. and put in some cucumbers, carrots (fingers crossed) never had much luck but the seed was given to me and may as well plant them.

I did a bit of a clean up of my seed collection and am planting whatever even if it is out of season…

Beans are growing nicely, put in some old pea seed and they are sprouting :tup: so probably not too old, zuchs are starting to look better, tromboncino are flowering now, with the rain there is self seeded rocket and asian veg coming up everywhere, I did a little weeding and turfed out a few hunderd triffids, found some tree onions hiding amongst the tall weeds.

I checked out my fruit trees and 2 where I haven’t got round to weeding have birds nesting so they will wait, 3 of my fig trees are covered with fruit the 4th has a few and the 5th has been sacrificed (unintentional) 🙁 I have several trees looking a bit sick and I’m not sure why maybe to do with the flooding earlier this year.

I’ll try and get some photos tomorrow.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I have been busy in the garden weeding and picking slime mould off :angry: back breaking work.

I have also been reading up and playing with the new camera :laugh: does some interesting stuff today I did a panorama of the garden.

I still have lots to weed but everywhere I tried to weed yesterday there was a bird starting to make a nest so I moved along so the birds have some cover there are silvereyes, honeyeaters and wrens both varigated and red backed…. I look on them as cheap pest control and they are also pretty and entertaining.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:tup: Love panorama shots Judi, they look great. Are the beetles in previous pics a xmas beetle, we had some swarms of them a couple of years ago defoliate half our birch trees and a neighbours gum (which later died)

Dont over do the back breaking work of slime picking up, pray for sunshine to dry it up instead. 🙂

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’m still learning/playing with the camera went out and took some shots of the moon last night.

I’ll have to look up my book I keep a record of everything, the beetles they defoliate quite a few trees, they are not what we call christmas beetles but they are very pretty.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’m still learning/playing with the camera went out and took some shots of the moon last night.

I’ll have to look up the beetles in my book I keep a record of everything, the beetles they defoliate quite a few trees, they are not what we call christmas beetles but they are very pretty a bit like baubles on the (naked) tree :laugh: .

The days are sunny but the dew of a morning is so heavy I think that is what is keeping the moulds going.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Well it has been nearly a year since we first had damage to the driveway and we have been trying to get quotes so the insurance can at least get someone in or we get it done and they pay us … we had to make a decision about what to do…. without the drive nothing can change here and we knew that we needed larger pipes in the gully so we paid for larger pipes to be delivered there goes most of our tank money took us about a year to save up, we will have to get back onto the insurance in the new year and hope that they will get their finger out so we can move forward, otherwise we may have to spend what little we have left to do the drive ourselves and pray that the insurance will pay us.

If nothing happens soon I’ll have to start buying drinking water from the supermarket and showering in town.

mauzimauzi

Oh Judi, what a nightmare this has been for you. Lets hope the new year brings movement and better things. Have a Merry Xmas.

BlueWrenBlueWren

:hug: :hug: :hug: Really hoping 2012 is a much,much better year for you both.

roundthebendroundthebend

Ironic, rain washed away your access last year and this year not enough to drink…………come on mother nature be nice to Judi send her some rain but not all in one go!

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

roundthebend post=333512 wrote: Ironic, rain washed away your access last year and this year not enough to drink…………come on mother nature be nice to Judi send her some rain but not all in one go!

Thanks for the kind thought but it isn’t the rain we need what we need is a tank the tank here is leaking, had 10mm last night but it went in and is slowly coming out by tomorrow it will be back down to midway where all the rusty holes are…. plus too much rain and they wont be able to do the driveway the creek is still too wet.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

The garden is growing quite well not just the weeds but the stuff I planted :ohmy: I don’t know how that happened but it has.

Beans: snake and purple king are starting to climb, the butter beans are just about to flower.

I let some asian greens go to seed and didn’t get to harvest them now I have a asian greens patch all over the place including the lawn.

Zuchinni and Troboncino are doing really good will have 4 zuchs and 2 trombies to pick tomorrow.

Cucumbers are getting nearly big enough to pick.

Choko is coming back I was worried that it would rot with the soil being wet for so long.

I found several surprises while weeding about 15 strawberry plants and 20 egyptian walking onions … tree onions whatever you call them.

I have just about finished weeding a patch about 4metres square which I will be planting potatoes.

But the thing I’m cautiously optimistic about is the raised bed with carrot seed starting to sprout… this might not seem a biggie to some but for me it is I’ve never been able to get carrot seed to sprout here I’m thinking the raised bed which is a bit like a huge self watering pot is the reason.

BlueWrenBlueWren

That’s all good news Judi! May it continue. :tup: :clap: :tup:

BelBel

That’s great Judi :tup: Sounds like things are really looking up in your garden. Had a laugh about your Asian greens. Similar things happen here – we have a self-sewn parsley grove at our place at the moment. I hope your carrots keep growing – nothing like home grown carrots.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

BlueWren post=333482 wrote: :hug: :hug: :hug: Really hoping 2012 is a much,much better year for you both.

Nice thought … can I start the year over again :huh:

The year is only one week old and not looking too good…

Sunday 1st… DH tells me he has a strange sensative feeling on his skin and felt sore like muscular pain around his chest/rib area.

Monday 2nd… went to town got some clove oil spray, milk and bread, got home and took the milk out of the esky and bumped the bottom well I’d put a hole in it rush around get the jug out of the fridge pour out the cold water and put in the milk.

Wednesday 4th… had to put the toothbrushes and shaving gear in the fridge as it is the only place the ants can’t get.

Thursday 5th… went to bed and the yapper was at it till 3or so in the morning, but I did get to hear the Koala.

Saturday 7th… I took some photos and was coming inside when I suddenly I felt like I was going down… hang on I was going down the stair tread went and so did I now I have a bruise on my knee and a very sore heel which when I walk hurts like hell.

Can I start over and have a better year please.

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 1,020 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.