Aussies Living Simply

Our Aquaponic Green House! (2013 and beyond!)

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Aquaponics Our Aquaponic Green House! (2013 and beyond!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone! :wave:

Its been a while and a lot has taken place in the Green House over the past few months.

I am unable to post in my original post on ALS, so I will begin a new 2013 and beyond thread.

We now have two functioning fish tanks integrated into the one water pump system with four air lifts turning over the tanks during the off cycle.

One tanks of 15 Silver Perch and 10 Eel Tail Catfish and the other of 5 Eel tail cat fish and 10 Murray Cod.

We have added four more grow beds that will be ready to use for the next growing season although they are destined for more grapes and tomatoes.

We are so very nearly finished building this system, just a few more days of clean up/tidy up for a few small jobs and I am done!

Then, it will be a matter of some monthly maintenance and get on with the producing.

I do not seem to be able to post photos at all, apparently my add file button has stepped out permanently, any ideas? 🙁

Hope your all well,

Regards

Jeff

Ok, i still can not add photos so, if you would like a look, i have posted the link to all the latest photos of our Aquaponic Green House until i can post photos here again!

http://heretical-greenhouse-aquaponics.tumblr.com/

Hope you like it!

GumnutGumnut

Wow looks great HG! Mind if I ask what you have grown so far? I’ve just started a small experimental grow bed (testing the concept to see how I go) and am wondering what grows well?

Hi Gumnut!

Nice to meet you!

We have grown the following,

Tomatoes, Basil, coriander, beans, zucchini, parsley, rosemary, celery, grapes, strawberries, rocket, cabbage, cucumbers, watercress and mint.

We are also experimenting with eggplant and capsicums that will live in the system but as yet we haven’t had a lot of luck.

I would love to see your new system! we were meant to start a little system too, however it got a little out of hand!!! 😛

Kind Regards to you,

FishfoodFishfood

Hi nice looking system just a couple of observations those clear tubs are not recommended for aquaponic s

they will get algie growing inside with is bad also your return water needs to go direct to the fishtanks

Water bridges you are asking for trouble they have a habit of failing

All in all a good start just a bit of twicking and you will have a top system

Have a look at backyard aquaponics and practical aquaponics site theres a wealth of information in there

You mite say how does this dood know what he is talking about When i was a member at those sites 125,000 people clicked on my systems and a lot asked questions

Fishfood post=353614 wrote: Hi nice looking system just a couple of observations those clear tubs are not recommended for aquaponic s

they will get algie growing inside with is bad also your return water needs to go direct to the fishtanks

Water bridges you are asking for trouble they have a habit of failing

All in all a good start just a bit of twicking and you will have a top system

Have a look at backyard aquaponics and practical aquaponics site theres a wealth of information in there

You mite say how does this dood know what he is talking about When i was a member at those sites 125,000 people clicked on my systems and a lot asked questions

I know exactly who you are Sir!

And it is an honor to have you comment on my greenhouse!

I was a regular viewer of your posts on byap, we have been growing grapes because we saw yours at the back of your greenhouse and had our first bunch this year!

Your point is well taken in regards to the aquabridges and I have taken the steps of gluing the fittings together followed by a coat of silicone over the joins, thus far we have had no failures in two years, but again it is welcome advice.

The clear tubs were an error from the beginning, not knowing any better, nor even thinking of the algae issue. We get a little bit on the wall side closest to the outsides of the GH, but i think i will in future completely enclose them and totally eliminate it.

Did you build a new system at your new house?

Kindest of Regards to you,

FishfoodFishfood

Hi its good to try ideas thats why aquaponics has developed so much over the last few years

did you leave your grapes with the main plant outside When mine grew inside it developed mould

Ha the new place theres a bit of a hybred system

Fish pond with fish and its own filtering system and i use the filter water ells where [only gold fish at the moment i am not that keen on fresh water fish ]

Then theres the wicking bed system [check the wicking bed thread ] theres quite a few innovations in it

beauty of wicking beds is if you get bugs you can spray without killing the fish

If you are ever in the sunbury area call in its worth looking at

trandtotrandto

Seems like an awesome idea, I have been following it off and on for a couple years but seems like way to much work to get it established and the external inputs ?

I would be interested in hearing from those who have had it up and running for some time, not just the advocates but those who had a go, like to hear the positive and the negative ?

I had thought of stocking our biggest Dam with fish but then a mate pointed out it would just be stripped by the visiting Cormorant …

Fishfood post=353634 wrote: Hi its good to try ideas thats why aquaponics has developed so much over the last few years

did you leave your grapes with the main plant outside When mine grew inside it developed mould

Ha the new place theres a bit of a hybred system

Fish pond with fish and its own filtering system and i use the filter water ells where [only gold fish at the moment i am not that keen on fresh water fish ]

Then theres the wicking bed system [check the wicking bed thread ] theres quite a few innovations in it

beauty of wicking beds is if you get bugs you can spray without killing the fish

If you are ever in the sunbury area call in its worth looking at

Hi FF, no, the grapes are growing inside, we have ad problems with the leaves browning and all speckled with black spots on some parts of the plants but then on the other side of the same plant it will grow beautiful and green.

I had a look at your wicking bed thread, it looks brilliant! Is it out producing the AP?

Hi Tranto, nice to meet you,

Aquaponics is no great trouble to set up…as long as you plan it out properly the first time, design the system on paper first.

IMHO, there are too many set ups that are just cobbled together and they look like crap, they don’t produce, they don’t work and people lose heart.

In a sense, your friend is correct, but there are methods for detracting predators, but again, its up to how far you want to go with it.

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/book/australian-fish-farmer-a-practical-guide-to-aquaculture/3250409/ I got this from the library and it was a great book for that kind of thing, there was a second one too but i cant find the name, i will keep looking.

My advice, if your going to go into AP, (recommend it) then make the commitment, it is so well worth it. We eat everyday from the GH in some capacity.

Cost is up to you, we went food grade wherever we could so we did pay a little extra.

I mean, if your going into AP because of your belief that the food today is too processed etc, then its pointless to use IBC’s/barrels etc that have had petro-chemicals in them for example.

We chose to do this because of various reasons, most of them ethical, but it has also meant that WE, not the supermarkets, are now responsible for the quality of food our family eats, as such, food grade made the only sense.

The water preservation alone, is worth it. we top up our tanks with 80-100liters per month. I would be very interested to see a traditional dirt garden compete with that.

sorry, a little preachy, i do apologise.

Aquaponics is an investment if you do it right the first (or second!!) time.

FishfoodFishfood

Ha just clicked grapes green house Porter on byap 😆

Hi FF, what are your thoughts??

FishfoodFishfood

Hi FF, what are your thoughts??[/quo

Just clicked i thought that glass house i have seen it somewere

Maybe catch up some day would love to see your setup

BobbeeBobbee

Sounds like you two fellows might know each other or at the least, know of each other. How good is that. :tup:

🙂

Fishfood post=353843 wrote:

Hi FF, what are your thoughts??[/quo

Just clicked i thought that glass house i have seen it somewere

Maybe catch up some day would love to see your setup

Hi FF,

That’s no problems at all. I would love to show you,

I have nothing at all on on Thurs 14th March, if that’s ok with you, i can PM address and phone number to you.

Jeff

FishfoodFishfood

Hi haven’t logged on for a while [been busy] yep send me info please

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.