Aussies Living Simply

operation wicking bed

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log operation wicking bed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    calliecat
    Participant

first of all, I wish to apologise, I don’t have the gift of turning a few words into a good story like bluewren does

but here goes 🙂

Bluewren got her DH to drag out the bath tubs, – she found all the stuff to make wicking beds with,

her DH put some holes into plumbing pipe that was lying around, (gotta love being married to a retired plumber) lol

first photo

of bluewren, fixing the plastic

this has pipes in place with sand as the water pit

this has some old sail cloth between the water reservoir and the soil

calliecat
    Participant

being so unfit as I am, I went home totally exhausted lol was in bed by 7.30

I will take some finished photos on sunday, 🙂

karyn26

Looking good BW.

Thanks for the pics calliecat.You werent tuckered out just taking the pics were you LOL

calliecat
    Participant

karyn26 post=337880 wrote: Looking good BW.

Thanks for the pics calliecat.You werent tuckered out just taking the pics were you LOL

LOL don’t think so – thought I had taken more photos actually 🙁

BlueWren

karyn26 post=337880 wrote: Looking good BW.

No, she measured and trimmed the plastic and shade cloth , and shovelled a lot of sand ……. now …what did I do…?? Did shovel some sand too, and I was knackered as well in the evening!! :laugh:

I have since poured six buckets of tank water down the verticals in the left hand bath, which now has soil in it.calliecat says I need a hose……..currently don’t have tank water up there so had to lug buckets from the house.Will have to smile sweetly at the plumber………. :laugh:

Those vertical pipes are both connected to one under the sand between them, with slits on the underside.Most wicking beds have only one vertical with a cap on the end of the horizontal ……DH wanted mine to have TWO “to prevent an air lock” and who was I to argue!!

To be continued when calliecat has more pics.

Wez

Sounds like perfect supervision :cheer:

Wombat

Woo hoo!,

Well done CC, nice looking set up, let us know how it all goes!

Nev

BlueWren

I have actually trimmed off the overhanging sail cloth at the back of the baths so it’s the same as at the front.Was going to leave it over to help maintain the soil level. I don’t think the cloth would wick over the edge but didn’t want to risk losing the water!

calliecat
    Participant

for some reason photobucket wont let me upload photos to here anymore 🙁

having no end of trouble

yay – thankgoodness lol

this is the next stage, hopefully when the plants grow will take some more

ballamara
    Keymaster

They look great, i love the use of old tyres to sit the tubs on.

calliecat
    Participant

so do I, thought that was ingenious

Erthgirl

Looking good girls… can’t wait to see the plants in there. :hug:

BlueWren

mmmmmmm……remember the wheelbarrow episode in my garden log a while back……? When I sowed lettuce seed and got tomatoes ? Well, I now have several hundred tomato seedlings coming up in the completed bed, which by the way seems to be draining OK.The incomplete one was not draining over the edge of the plastic until DH shoved a small piece of pipe under the plastic near the plughole.Aiming to get the soil etc in there soon .Talked to the plumber who reminded me which tap to turn off and which tap to turn on to get tank water to the tap near the baths…….so no more need to cart buckets ……should have asked him earlier!

Thanks for the pics calliecat.Did you get one of the choko between the baths?

calliecat
    Participant

I thought I did, but had such dramas yesterday LOL that I now can’t find it :blush:

BlueWren

I planted a choko between the baths,the theory being that the bed overflows would go in its direction.Have had plenty of rain to keep it growing well anyway, so hopefully it will soon hide the junk behind it! Plans are afoot with DS and DH to build a fence around the whole no dig area so I can plant it up, and to clear out the old van body to make it useable as storage.

The second bed is filled and ready to plant, and I’m wondering what to do about all the tomato seedlings! :laugh: Might transplant a few and dig in the rest as green manure.

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.