Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Olla irrigation

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden Olla irrigation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Has anyone tried olla irrigation? http://permacultureideas.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/olla-watering-ancient-drip-irrigation.html did it work for you? If not, what happened?

It is something that I have not seen in Australia. I know that soil type alters its effectiveness and in some types of soil it does not work. Other than that I really do not know very much about how they work in the real world. I would love to hear what people think of this.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster
    WombatWombat

Here is my go at clay pot irrigation. You have much more control if you are making the pots. I nned to update this with a couple of later photos!

http://www.underthechokotree.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=280:making-a-clay-pot-irrigator&catid=52:water&Itemid=37

Nev

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Thank you both for the replies. I am making plans for trying this, I can see some potential disadvantages but don’t know if they will be outweighed by the advantages. It will be interesting to see how it works on my property with my soil.

Nev how did it end up going over summer? Do you think it was worth the effort? Do you think that you actually used less water with this method?

Hi Mukluk. I haven’t tried this idea myself, but did hear about it on a great blog several years ago. The Dervaes family (urban homestead aka path to freedom) have been using the idea successfully since 2008. I have attached a link to one article here: using ollas. However, if you search their site (for “ollas”), you’ll find many more articles and pictures. (In fact, they are the source for the video in the permaculture ideas blog that you referenced below.) What an exciting idea!

BobbeeBobbee

Wow I had forgotten about that way of watering the garden, thanks for asking the question and thanks for the folk who added the links. :clap:

That seems to me to be so worth having a go at, even using ordinary terracotta pots with the hole in the bottom closed off and a lid on top to keep out the soil. Even not doing the connecting thingy with tubes and a central reservoir of water.

🙂

WombatWombat

Hey Mukluk,

I think it probablydid save a bit of water. The pots I used had a pretty slow throughput and if you are making your own pots I think it gives you better flexibility of design. Anyway it is worth a bit of experimentation!

Nev

Hi Wombat. I just looked at your link – it’s great to see another example of this idea in action!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.