Aussies Living Simply

OK. No mandala chook systems near Kingaroy.Anywhere else?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock OK. No mandala chook systems near Kingaroy.Anywhere else?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    lavman

Hi Techno Nana, I mean BlueWren, looking at your pics really takes me back to when we started, I had a look at some old photos of our first dome, I thought I would save money and make it out of what I had which was one and a half inch black poly pipe, that turned out to be our first big mistake.

In the summer heat the dome went very limp, we had a about dozen “Gramma’s” forky sticks holding it up and in some sort of shape.

(One of my fond memories growing up on my parents farm was helping Gramma fix the fences with forky sticks, you could always tell where she’d been.)

Your dome does look very sturdy, I think I am just as excited as you to see it all come together, good luck with it all and keep the pics coming please.

kerrieb wrote

You’re set up looks great my hubby would love it. He finds my planting style a little to imformal for his taste

maybe you could try some border plants around your garden, garlic chives make a good border especially the purple flowering type.

kerrieb

maybe you could try some border plants around your garden, garlic chives make a good border especially the purple flowering type.

lavman probably will do something like that in the long run. Problem is that my veg garden edges are “temporary and moving/expanding” also it borders an area that need the paving pulled up leveling and re-laying (15-20 degree slope is a little much). Also my chook housing arrangement is up for review. After which I plan on having things a little better laid out instead of confined in chook wire for safety.

Mumchook

Looking good, BlueWRen.

Lavman, you have a worm SHED?!?! Am impressed!

😆

Ree

BlueWren

Hi kerrieb The established fruit trees are really a bit too established and rather past it :(, except for the loquats which usually bear well, but we had very heavy rain at flowering time and very few fruit set.

Thanks for owl site.I’m going there right now.

BlueWren

Hi Lavman Thanks for your interesting posts.The fact that you have run this system successfuly for ten years gives me great hope.I would think it takes a couple of years to really get it established .As you can see we have black poly around the base of the dome, and clamped the wire netting extending for the skirt between it and a second smaller diameter ring of poly, so hopefully it won’t get too wobbly in the summer! Like you we used what we had on hand – my DH is a retired plumber – so we only had to buy two lengths of white pipe. Had to buy a 50m roll of chook wire though to get 6ft high and small gauge.It was really hard to get onto the dome – lots of pleats!

Now, Techno Nana is going to try to upload her avatar! Hope it doesn’t take as long as the pics! But I’ll add a pic of our love sick koala to this one.The cockatoos give him a dreadful time in the early morning.Up to ten or even more circle him and sit in his eucalypt screeching their heads off until he climbs down the tree and slinks off into the bush. I wonder why? What possible problem could a koala be to a cockatoo? Looks like just bully birds.

BlueWren

Just checking to see if I now have an Avatar.

BlueWren

Well yes …. it is a male blue wren but it will have to do!

Kirsty

Lavman, I was so impressed I went to price poly pipe and get the other half to whip me one up but I got them to give me the price for 1.5 inch poly. What would you recomend instead? I’m sure I am suppose to know from looking at the pics but it just looks like white stuff and I know thats not a technical term:lol:

lavman

Hi Kirsty, I used 1.5 inch poly on the bottom and 19mm PVC for the rest of it, BTW I didn’t cover the whole dome with wire, only up to the tarp.

Cheers

PS I bet your other half is real impressed with me.:lol:

BlueWren

Hi Kirsty For the whole chook dome story you might like to get hold of a copy of “The Permaculture Home garden” by Linda Woodrow, published by VIKING an imprint of PENGUIN BOOKS. It’s full of very useful info about using the chook dome system and veg gardening in general.Good luck.

Judi B

BlueWren wrote:

The cockatoos give him a dreadful time in the early morning.Up to ten or even more circle him and sit in his eucalypt screeching their heads off until he climbs down the tree and slinks off into the bush. I wonder why? What possible problem could a koala be to a cockatoo? Looks like just bully birds.

We had the same problem with a koala getting attacked by birds ….. crows, magpies, peewees, butcherbirds and wagtails :shrug: and that was just in the one morning, stupid koala wouldn’t move out of the tree just kept waving his arm trying to hit the birds.

BlueWren

Hi Judi That’s interesting about the birds and your koala. Nice that we have the koalas around though, quite a privilege really. BTW, I found a site with heaps of different fox sounds on it , and it seems the sound we hear regularly is a fox on the move broadcasting that this is HIS territory.Perhaps the females call too. Beautiful animals but we see them way too often for my liking. I won’t use baits – I’m wondering if the SBRCouncil has cage type fox traps? I’ll find out, and if so I would use one if I was assured the animals would be humanely destroyed. Not just because of safety for my chooks but for all the native wild life the foxes prey upon.

baringapark
    Judi B

I had a sick Koala here late last year and DH and I rang Australia Zoo and were told they didn’t have a capture crew available that day but could come the next day… long story cut short… we decided to keep watch on him and I was to take first shift there was another over the road it roared the one we were watching started to come down and we captured him, called the wildlife carer who came at 10pm to get him, took him to the vet where Judy Irwin picked him up and then he went to Australia Zoo hospital and it has a happy ending he came home earlier this month :clap: 😀

BlueWren

Great story Judi! Another one saved.We need every one we can.Can’t imagine Australia without koalas.

Thanks for the links baringapark. I’ll be checking them all out.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.