Aussies Living Simply

OK. No mandala chook systems near Kingaroy.Anywhere else?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock OK. No mandala chook systems near Kingaroy.Anywhere else?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    sue e

sometimes it all gets a bit overwhelming doesn’t it bluewren. i sometimes feel that we have left our run too late. DH still has 2 years til he retires so he doesn’t have much time during the week by the time he gets home and weekends just seem to fly. i am trying to do as much as i can but seem to be slowing down a lot in the last few years. summer just overwhelms me so do as little as possible. we keep thinking that once he has retired and all the kids are doing their own thing and we are in a cooler climate we will get our second wind. i guess the important thing is to give it a go and to enjoy chasing your dream for as long as possible. and as far as the asparagus goes- take it with you!:metal::metal::D

BlueWren

You rock Sue!:metal: I will be 67 in a few days and DH 74 a few days later.Thankfully we are both in excellent health, but picture us oldies doing a pas de deux with our dome and then chasing the chooks if they escape underneath.The apricot tree may well outlive me too, but I am forever optimistic and I am about to plant a Moreton Bay Fig on our property.So perhaps in a hundred years time a happy selfsufficient family will still enjoy its shade, if some idiot hasn’t chopped it down.

Well, NOW I’m going to try to upload the promised dome pics, can’t be that hard.I am Techno Nana!:geek: Not!

BlueWren

Well, hopefully below you will see a pic of our geodesic dome before we put the wire on.THAT was a challenge, using small size mesh.

BlueWren

You don’t! If at first you don’t succeed…………

BlueWren

Second attempt.File type/size etc looks OK even to Techno Nana so I don’t know what the prob is.

BlueWren

This is getting really annoying for all of us! :shrug:Followed the Tutorial and my pics are JPEG 800×600 and 146.48Kb so should be OK? Maybe it’s the name. Where do I put that other than hit Browse and then Open the pic in MyPictures?

BlueWren

Time I logged off for a while …………:confused: my pics are only 118Kb not 146.48 as I said before.

sue e

i have the same problem bluewren.it could be the name. make sure there are no spaces or symbols in it(brackets, slashes etc) that’s what stuffed me up . so your picture name would be “ourchookdome” or similar. don’t give up! we wanna see pictures:D:D

BlueWren

Don’t look yet!

BlueWren

YES!YES! I AM TECHNO NANA! :clap:

Let me try that trick again.This one should be beginning work from the apricot tree out. Our soil is good but I’m hoping the tree won’t be a problem – I want natural shade in the summer for the veg, the chooks and me! The beds can be built no dig style if necessary.Have done that before and works great.

BlueWren

Bugger.Sorry guys.Maybe not Techno Nana after all …:o What did I do different – nothing as far as I know. Wish we could do a preview to avoid you putting up with this!!

BlueWren

:uhoh:You’re still with me!! My gosh, you ALSers are a patient lot.Please remember I am on Older Permie who plants Moreton Bay Fig trees….. and I’m really trying to get this right. It all looks good – file type, name, size , just like the dome pic – until I hit Post.

BlueWren

Yea! I did it! One more, then it’s :sleep: This one is a wider view of the whole site, all grassed.The area is larger than a la Woodrow as I wanted a large bed around the tree for some perrenials, herbs etc – yes,I know, it won’t be planted right up to the trunk . The paths are made from old perforated metal ceiling tiles laid over thick newsspaper and the path areas still remaining are covered in chip bark over newspaper .Us Old Permies need a bit of room to move. I have heavily mulched – more than in this pic – over newspaper or cardboard all the areas around the dome sites which will eventually be planted, hoping this will begin to get the grass dying off before I get there. You can see a couple of compost piles happening. And guess what? I lost my glasses for over a fortnight and where do you think I found them? Under one of the compost heaps when I turned it. :jawdrop: After a good wash and cool down they are just fine ……….

Well, I’m exhausted after all that tech effort so I’m hoping this will be over and out and “Goodnight!” Next pics will be CHOOKS!

dianne
    Participant

:clap: they are some gorgeous, big trees. Im jealous

kerrieb

Lavman

You’re set up looks great my hubby would love it. He finds my planting style a little to imformal for his taste.

BlueWren I’m jealous of your estabished fruit trees. Have a look at this website I found it for a school project for my DD a while ago it has all the owl calls recorded on it you can listen too.http://www.owlpages.com/sounds.php

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.