Aussies Living Simply

OK. No mandala chook systems near Kingaroy.Anywhere else?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock OK. No mandala chook systems near Kingaroy.Anywhere else?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    BlueWren

Hi all Does anyone anywhere have a Linda Woodrow chook rotation mandala system happening?:wave:

Sonya

I know I few people who have tried it and are now not using it for various reasons – the chooks work faster than the vegie grow, so the chooks are left on bare soil a lot of the time, not all the vegies are finished at the same time, which delays getting the dome onto that part of the garden…

We had a chook dome here when we moved here, but I never used it – no where safe for chooks to roost at night and only having a tarp covering it it was very hot in summer, flapping around scaring the chooks on windy days and miserable and wet in the rain.

We use a chook tractor system to start new beds and generally to clear areas, but not part of a rotation system.

Perhaps someone here has one working

Sonya

Sonya

Our chook tractor works really well – same size as our gardens beds plus there is a snake proof, dry, warm space for the chooks to sleep at night.

Sonya

Tamandco

Two of my friends are using the Linda Woodrow Chook dome mandala system. One is presently being established, but to the letter. The other is a little adlib. I’m sure my friend won’t mind if I post a few pics here…..

This first pic is of the incomplete chook dome. Originally it was symetrically perfect and the door fitted exactly, until a storm picked it up and blew it across the paddock. After much fiddling and many adjustments, it is now about as good as it’s going to be, much to my friend’s frustration. Somewhat mangled, but still functional.

Tamandco

Almost ready for the new residents.

Tamandco

Chook dome moved on. Residents happy!

Tamandco

From what I’ve understood, there were teething problems when the dome was first constructed according to LW’s instructions. In the end Ann (my friend) drilled the polypipe and wired them together. She is going to try a variation for her next dome. A second dome seems to be necessary for growing on youngsters or as a cockerel pen, if the chook project is to progress any further than simply using them as a garden cultivator/fertiliser.

When we first introduced the new chooks to the dome as it appeared in the middle photo, the Orps were a little older than the Araucanas, which were only 6 weeks of age. Unfortunately, even with physical windbreaks and shelters within the dome, Yarra Valley weather took its toll on the young birds with more than half of the original dozen dying within the first week. The remainder were taken promptly into the shed and kept on a heat mat until the inclement and unseasonal weather passed. They are thriving well now.

My other friend who implements this system uses hay bales (cut from her property) to make little houses within the chook dome. These are eventually incorporated into the mulch within the dome, but supplies particularly younger birds with much needed shelter. Melbourne residents really need to give consideration to the lack of shelter LW’s chook dome provides. Especially with the lighter breeds.

Hope this info helps. I’ll try and keep you all posted as to their progress and will try and get pics of my other friend’s adlib system.

lavman

Hi BlueWren,

We have had the mandala system for about ten years now and it works well for us, however we did make some much needed modifications to it and there is still another improvement which I would like to do when I have the time but all in all it is a good addition to the garden.

If you like I could take some pics of the system with the mods.

Cheers

Kev

BlueWren

Thankyou all so much, especially Tamando for all that info and pics. The hay bales around is a great idea, especially as my main worry is foxes.I have our dome nearly completed and the chooks ordered – all mature birds.I used a geodesic design for the dome and a double layer of black ag pipe around the base with the wire skirt clamped between them .All joins in the dome are screw fastened.The result I imagine is much sturdier than the Woodrow version albeit a two person to move design due to the extra weight.

We get some frost here – probably when my birds move in!- but otherwise I’m hoping the SE Queensland weather will be OK for the chooks.My dome is in an old orchard in a sheltered position, with an old large apricot tree in the centre of the site which will help with shade in summer for the chooks and the veg. I have never thought all the crops would finish on time for the Woodrow strict rotation but I have plenty of room to put the dome elsewhere and moved around as necesssary.Will help with the mowing!

Kev yes please.I’d be very interested in what you have done and plan to do..

I’ll add some pics to a new thread later and update it from time to time with our progress.

Judi B

We used a chook tractor made to the size of my garden beds just took DH and myself to move it around.

We didn’t have to worry about foxes as we had it in the fenced house yard close to the house.

I hope to get chooks again soon and let them do the weeding:lol:

baringapark

I used this system for some years. I had 2 domes. Sonya summed up a lot of the issues we had. Also the chooks cannot remove grass which runs down deep, so we had major weed issues with running grasses through the beds. I have dismantled one of the domes and use the second to grow cockerels on in.

My current system is using pigs to clear an area and then we will be copying roundthebends setup 😀 see this link https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=54&thread_id=5797

baringapark

here is a pic with our remaining dome housing cockerels and our fenced off area with pigs doing our gardening and their Kombi house 🙂

BlueWren

Hey! We used to have an ex -army Kombi like that! Great family car with four young kids. Room for my friend’s kids as well when we baby sat for each other. Great pig house too I should think. Your grass issue is interesting – I hadn’t reckoned on that. My whole site has running grass!!!!! :jawdrop:Might need a pig yet.

lavman

I’ll get onto it tomorrow BlueWren, I’ve run out of daylight today.

FeyWind

I’ve got one Blue Wren, put it on Kikuyu and with a bit of extra pulling in the first few rotations, we’re clear of it. I’ll post pictures at some stage, but am too busy now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.