Aussies Living Simply

off topic – IT ?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up off topic – IT ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SonyaSonya

Hi,

Completely off topic to ALS stuff, but I was wondering if any IT people here could help.

I’ve been getting emails from Yahoo! in my inbox about confirming my email address for a while now, I’ve ignored them as I imagine they are bogus and want my password, they usually come through as SPAM.

But today one came in the inbox saying they will close my account (one I use several times a day for my home business) unless I do this customer survey. This is what is says…

Dear Valued Member,

Due to the congestion in all Yahoo users and removal of all unused Yahoo Accounts,Yahoo would be shutting down all unused accounts,You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Info below after clicking the reply botton, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons..

User Name: ……………………………………..

Password:………………………………………….

Date Of Birth: ……………………………………

Alternate Email:…………………………………

Country Or Territory:………………………….

After Following the instructions in the sheet,your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.Thanks for your attention to this request.We apologize for any inconvenience.

ENDS

does that seem real, or is it a scam? I’ve tried to contact Yahoo and of course you can’t, but it came from this email address mail.bolt@yahoo.com

Any help would be great as I’d hate to have my account shut down.

Cheers,

Sonya

WozWoz

Shoot an email off to the Yahoo people and see what they say. If it is nefarious, they would certainly want to know.

robatclarerobatclare

Hi Sonya,

Straight away I’d call “scam”.

The reasons are:

– they want details in an email. Yahoo would ask you to login as normal and then confirm.

– the email address, while a yahoo.com account, could have been made up by anyone. e.g. I could sign up to yahoo as “secure.settings@yahoo.com” or similar so that it would look vaguely ok.

Never put username and password, bank account details etc in an email. Log in via your bookmarks or by typing in the address (yahoo.com).

Any confirmation stuff that they would like you to do will be at the login.

Also, if you login regularly, why would they want you to confirm login? They know that you log in regularly.

Hope this helps.

redhen2redhen2

yes, nobody legitimate would ever ask for a password.

i get similar emails weekly. i flick them to my isp (a small regional one) so that they can update their filters.

SonyaSonya

Thanks for that, just got a bit nervous at the thought of having my email contact cut off at prime booking time for my home business.

you ALSers are great

How do I contact Yahoo?

Sonya

BullseyeBullseye

I use sites similar to this for finding info on possible hoax emails http://www.hoax-slayer.com/

Search the site using a section of text from the body of the email or the title.

LearningLearning

Thankyou for that hoax link Bullseye. I cut’n’pasted Sonya’s email in there and it came up with 14 exact matches. They were targeting users on ebay, paypal, and banks including the Commonwealth Bank. I’ve bookmarked it. :tup:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.