Aussies Living Simply

NSW/ACT Weather next 4 days!

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up NSW/ACT Weather next 4 days!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollows

A heads up to those in southern NSW, Canberra areas if you haven’t heard already:

Severe Weather Warning

for flash flooding

for people in the Upper Western, Australian Capital Territory, Riverina, Lower Western, Central West Slopes & Plains, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains and Southern Tablelands forecast districts

Issued at 4:39 am EDT on Tuesday 28 February 2012.

Weather Situation

A slow moving cloud band has developed overnight across southwestern New South Wales in response to a strong upper level disturbance moving over the state. As the cloud thickens rain is expected to become widespread over the southwest of the state. Rain will be very heavy at times and isolated thunderstorms are also possible throughout this area.

24 hour totals of between 30 to 80 mm are expected over a broad area of southern New South Wales on Tuesday, with some locations receiving in excess of 100 mm during this time frame.

This cloud band is expected to extend northward and eastward late Tuesday/early Wednesday. Very heavy rainfall is expected to continue in the same districts and may extend further eastwards into the central ranges and adjacent coastal districts. This will be monitored and Severe Weather Warnings be issued for additional areas as the situation unfolds.

Rain and thunderstorms which may lead to flash flooding is forecast for the Australian Capital Territory, Riverina, Lower Western, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains and Southern Tablelands forecast districts, western parts of the Upper Western and southern parts of Central West Slopes & Plains forecast districts.

53mm fell at White Cliffs since 9 am Monday.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

Don’t drive, ride or walk through flood water.

Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.

If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.

For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.

The next warning will be issued by 11:00 am EDT Tuesday.

Wollongong and towns south of Wollongong are expected to get heavy falls Wed-Thurs.

Robyne

Missed us yet again we watched all the black clouds move away yesterday.

We haven’t had rain in our part for over 6 weeks now, We so need a good rain fall

Hope all in the front of the rain are safe

mistyhollows

Update:

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/severe.shtml

Another good place to keep an eye on is the Weatherzone forum.

Bullseye

I dunno what else to say other than prepare and stay safe.

mistyhollows

As I’m south of Nowra just above the 525 amount we’re in for a little swim me thinks. You really can turn off the tap now Bullseye :blink: . I did see that map earlier today 🙁

I rang the insurance company today and we’re fully covered :whistle: . Even covered the dog :laugh:

The chicken coop is above the flood line and they will be high and dry as they can be locked up off the ground. I wonder what’s going to be left of the orchard though :jawdrop:

My brother’s place backs on to a river. Wouldn’t like to be them at all.

mistyhollows

The dam is full, chicken area has a river running through it, back paddock has water coming up and we’ve had 50.4ml in the last 24hrs. With the next large rain band just coming over from Goulburn. The road in to our area is starting to go under and there is a creek that does over flow in flash flood conditions over the road. I have to go through there in the next hr to get the kids from school. I’m hoping the next rain band stalls over Goulburn for a bit 🙁

BlueWren

Keep safe mh.All gets very scary when the rain just keeps coming…… :hug: :hug:

mistyhollows

Yes, it’s a little ominous over the next few days. Just checked weatherzone and the worst is apparently yet to come in the next 24/48 hrs :dry: . The ground was already saturated from the rain we had the other week so it’s just running off where it can and pooling on top now. Chickens had a ball in it this morning though 😆

karyn26

Hi MH thanks for the heads up.

We have had a lot of rain here also I’m 40klms NE of Wagga,our rain started Tues,our tanks were overflowing then.

I had to drive to work Tues arvo in a heavy downpour 70-80klms ,water on the road in 2 places just down from my place.

We have a dirt service road out front and it brings in a lot of water,the detour we put in last time it rained like this has failed in one spot.

I have been at work since Tues arvo and wasnt sure if I’d get home today,I need to touch base with my place.

I brought all my overnight gear home incase I dont get back in.It hasnt stopped raining allmorning and the poor dogs havent had brekky yet.I’ll go out soon and feed them.

I put my BOB up on a board the other day and I’m glad I did cause the water run-off has flooded that garden.

I will need to check the tomatoes just hope they arent ruined.

Havent heard from Weaver as to how she is doing with all this rain,as Albury had floods around,plus near her town there is a big creek dont know if it goes near her place,but it did flood badly the other year.

So everyone stay safe.

Robyne where are you situated,you can have the rest of what we’re supposed to be getting we’ve had plenty.

carolf

Have just been out to read the gauge again, it was full again 117ml since last night bringing us a total of 293 ml since Sunday Night.

weaver

We arent doing too badly. It has been raining all week but not too much until the last couple of days. I went into town to work this morning but decided to come home again cos it was so wet and there is a lot of water starting to build up on the roads. we are on a very slight slope so we dont tend to flood but the paths to the house are all under water (not much fun sloshing through that). The chook and duck yards are sloppy mud so as soon as it stops raining a bit I will throw some bales of straw in there to soak it all up.

The creeks near us are very high but we wont get flooded just cut off from town if they spill over (that hasnt happened in the time we have lived here)

mistyhollows

We’ve had just under 110ml this week in total. Yesterday we had quite heavy rain and the roads were flooded into here but still driveable. Thankfully, most of it has pushed south of us now as a low pressure system forms down near Merimbula. It does move up the coast though overnight which could increase falls quite a bit along with the wind. The wind is what concerns me now. With the ground so waterlogged we may get trees down and there is certainly no shortage of them around here. Would stock up the woodpile though :tup: .9

I’ve never seen this on the weather station here though dew point is 24.8 temp is 25.5. Humidity is 97%. Air pressure is 987.5.

Bobbee

Hope all concerned in flood areas stay safe, also stock and hope the gardens are able to be salvaged. :hug:

Thanks for the updates folk. Hang in there. :hug:

:hug:

Gianna

Hope you’re all doing ok guys and girls. :hug:

karyn26

We havent had any rain since yesterday afternoon,so the water on the roads has receeded.The small town 20mins away from us is cut in 2 by flood waters.

There’s not as much sloshy water around today it’s drained away.

My wick bed of carrot seedlings was flooded yesterday,they have bounced back today and I’ve put a tarp over it today incase it rains again.

It’s very windy here today,our trees are ok the big old kurrajong tree down the back might drop a limb but we dont have trees that fall over.The ones across the road might being eucalypts.

DH had to put the backup for the solar hot water on last night.

Hope everyone is enjoying the lull in the rain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.