Aussies Living Simply

Northey St Community Farm Winter Solstice

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Community Activism and Self Nurturing Communities Northey St Community Farm Winter Solstice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    j65363

Hi all,

Does anyone know if Northey St (Brisbane) is holding their winter solstice festival this year?

We went last year and it was great.

Thanks,

Jo

p.s sorry if I have posted in the wrong area, I wasn’t sure where to put this.

jcj57

If you saw the news this week, Northey Street was involved in the Brisbane Flooding, so maybe this will be a workshop to rebuild the garden.

jcj57

Northey Street City Farm was flooded with over two metres of water on Wednesday, 20 May. Many farm members (and our chickens) were evacuated from the netball courts via boat.

(Yes, that was us on TV!)

Today (Thursday, 21 May), 20 people are working away, in great spirits, to clean up. There will be much work required over the coming weeks. If you can help in any way (even bringing food or drink to the muddy volunteers), simply pay us a visit.

An official donation drive for replacement items will begin shortly. We are currently without a printer, photocopier, and many office items. If anyone can provide replacement equipment, we will gladly accept donations.

Phone communications are down, until at least Tuesday next week. In the meantime, if it’s urgent, please contact community [at] nscf.org.au or phone 0428 364103.

# The Sunday Organic Markets are still planned to go ahead as usual, although we might find ourselves shopping around flooded and washed-up cars! Final confirmation will be provided through this website on Saturday morning. Come down and support the Chai Cafe and Nursery (both with plenty of stock remaining!) and the organic growers, some of whom suffered damage from the floods. This is a great opportunity to support the community!

# Saturday Workshops have been postponed, as we’ll still be cleaning. Any course or workshop inquiries can be directed, in the short term, to Kym at kym.bj [at] optusnet.com.au or phone 0414 747030.

# Saturday’s PDC (Permaculture Design Certificate) will continue as usual.

http://www.northeystreetcityfarm.org.au/images/flood1.jpg

j65363

Oh gosh, I’m so sorry to hear that. How heart breaking for all the gardeners. I didn’t know that it had been flooded – guess that’s what I get for not watching the news…

thanks, Jo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.