Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Non-Grafted Passionfruit found in nursery

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Fruit, Vines, Nuts and Sprouts Non-Grafted Passionfruit found in nursery

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

Over the weekend I went to Virginia Nursery (in SA) and found that they had quite a few passionfruit vines for sale (Black, Banana, and Pandora).

They all state on the label that they are grown from seed and hence on their own rootstock, they were labeled as “on the table”http://www.faceysnursery.com.au/onthetable/on-the-table

So if anyone was on the look out for non-grafted passionfruit, now might be the time to start looking.

Vanessa

BelBel

Thanks for the heads-up Vanessa :hug: My vines are grown from seed and have finally taken off after I gave them some fertiliser and pulled the bindweed from them. Did you buy some passionfruit vines for yourself?

Anonymous

g’day vanessa,

we only ever plant seedlings, they do well.

len

jaden62jaden62

I just went to the site you posted Vanessa, & was having a look around – it was great to see some recipes there, particularly a couple for stevia.

However, I looked at the lillypilly, and the first sentence says “A small evergreen tree or large shrub” and then it goes on to say it grows 4-10m. If that’s “small”, I’d really hate to see “large”!

mudhenmudhen

lol, yes, the lilly pilly in my backyard is definitely not a shrub! But there are quite a few different varieties out there, so maybe some are more shrub-like. They are a popular hedging and topiary plant in many of the newer suburbs here in Adelaide, so it’s not that often that you see them with fruit on because they are kept trimmed back regularly. Mine needs to be cut back quite hard as it will soon get too big for the space it’s in, and probably already is. Doesn’t seem to have much by way of flowers or fruit this year, it seems to be heavier fruiting every second year. If you are looking to buy one, see if you can find one without seeds or with very small seeds. When doing things with the fruit, the seeds are the most time consuming thing.

WombatWombat

Non grafted passionfruit is a great idea!

We have a grafted one growing along the back deck and the rootstock has made a determined event to toss us out of the house 3 times already :laugh:

Nev

BobbeeBobbee

Wombat post=354045 wrote: Non grafted passionfruit is a great idea!

We have a grafted one growing along the back deck and the rootstock has made a determined event to toss us out of the house 3 times already :laugh:

Nev

:laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo:

jaden62jaden62

Mudhen, I love the fact that there are areas that have lillypillys as street plants, but because most people don’t know what they are, they don’t know that the berries are edible. More for me to make jam from!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.