Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

"No 'Poo"

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 419 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

I only use a small lump of carb soda Crystal, about the size of a 10 cent coin, and nothing else. You could maybe rinse your hair again with just water in case you left a wee bit of the carb soda on your scalp.

If you have made up a mixture in a container perhaps you could add more water to weaken it a bit. Trial and error is the way to go maybe. :shrug:

It’s nice to have compliments re your hair so soon. :woohoo:

Also some ess oils can irritate skin or you may have made to strong a mix.

Personally I only use oil (coconut) when my hair is dry and only when I need it. And I add the ess oil also when hair is dry, I rub a few drops on my hands and then rub my hands through my hair.

Good luck with your journey. :tup:

:hug:

crystalcrystal

ok, i will try watering down my mix a bit, i know theres none left in my hair, i rinsed very well! I only put 3 drops of the oil in 1L of water, so maybe its something in the oil. It was a peppermint blend of some sort… lol. I might try the rub through hair thing as the ends feel quite dry, and our weather is quite dry this week. I’ll look for coconut oil though!

Thanks again guys, got another compliment from SIL just before… shes skeptical, thinks i used real shampoo!

BobbeeBobbee

Crystal before I ‘got into’ the coconut oil I would condition my hair with olive oil. I used it the same way, a little on one hand rub hands together and then rub hands through hair. Works very well.

I occasionally give myself a condition ‘treatment’. I use quite a lot of my oil of choice (coconut oil for me) and rub it well into scalp and hair with special attention to any trouble spots.

Leave it on my hair for a couple of hours and then wash out.

crystalcrystal

i might give that a try bobbee. I dont have olive oil till tues when i shop but i reckon a bit of canola would do ok…

crystalcrystal

Still struggling with gross unbrushable hair. Havent oiled it yet so will do it tonight as i cant stand my hair!

mauzimauzi

Gee I have been lucky. Over a month now with “no poo” and my hair is so much better. I have not had to do anything bar rinse with water. Certainly will not be going back to poo. One of the really interesting things is the amount of body. I have fine hair and it was looking a bit thin (no comments now about age 😆 but now looks much better. I have naturally wavy hair and that also seems to be increasing. So glad I gave it a try. Thanks to als members.

KristyKristy

I started trying this, but hair was too greasy (added too much coconut oil lol), and had a job interview, so used shampoo, but hope to be able to go no poo sometime in the near future with perhaps just a dash of bi-carb or oil 🙂 Would be so much quicker and cheaper.

GrethGreth

Advice from my hairdresser, brush lots, wash your brush daily and your hair weekly.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

It’s been around 4 years now … :jawdrop:

If there was anything wrong with this concept, no doubt some sort of problem would have occurred.

All going strong here :tup: :tup:

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I tried no poo for six months and it just didn’t work for me. I have no idea why, it just was so gunky. I ended up getting a big chop and the hairdresser insisted on washing my hair. That first day was fluffy but I went back to no poo and hated it! :jawdrop: So now I wash my hair every three days with moo goo shampoo and conditioner (sulphate-free), it looks and feels fine and sometimes I get compliments. I so wanted it to work though – I’m considering trying again.

luciatasmanluciatasman

Years ago I tried making my own shampoos and they were yuk! Now I only shampoo my hair occasionally. Most days I just use 1 Tbls bi-carb mixed with 1 cup warm water, pour over hair, massage then rinse out.Then for conditioner mix 1 Tbls organic apple cider vinegar with 1 cup warm water, also massage in a little then rinse out. The first couple of times I used it my hair came out clean but a little bit lanky. The more I did it the better my hair got, now its great! I have very fine hair and had to use lots of prods to try to control it and thicken it – now I don’t need any – especially hairspray as it feels so much thicker and healthier! :tup:

I keep a jug in the shower which double up for everyone to rinse any soap off the shower tiles. I only use poo if I’m away and don’t have bi-carb etc with me.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I’ve decided to give it a go again but with a different strategy. I’ve got extremely fine, curly hair and I cannot brush it and normally need products to get rid of the pom pom frizz. Yesterday I washed it and did not put in any products at all (I look like a Pomeranian) and my plan is to buy a brush and brush my hair before every shower. I am wondering if I can distribute the oils a bit I might be able to do away with any products at all. I think that’s why it didn’t work before… It was always frizzy so I had to defrizz with some oil or honey and it sat on top of my hair and the dirt stuck to it. It always looked dirty. If I brush my hair and rinse it every day then some of the dirt might brush out and the sebum might defrizz a little. Only one way to find out…

KristyKristy

Miaowzen post=345452 wrote: I’ve decided to give it a go again but with a different strategy. I’ve got extremely fine, curly hair and I cannot brush it and normally need products to get rid of the pom pom frizz. Yesterday I washed it and did not put in any products at all (I look like a Pomeranian) and my plan is to buy a brush and brush my hair before every shower. I am wondering if I can distribute the oils a bit I might be able to do away with any products at all. I think that’s why it didn’t work before… It was always frizzy so I had to defrizz with some oil or honey and it sat on top of my hair and the dirt stuck to it. It always looked dirty. If I brush my hair and rinse it every day then some of the dirt might brush out and the sebum might defrizz a little. Only one way to find out…

I have found coconut oil is fantastic for helping out dry, frizzy hair. I sometimes use it just before I am about to have a shower. I rub it through (it’s better if you have time to let it soak), then I wash it out with shampoo, I haven’t tried it with the no poo method, but coconut oil, does seem to make my hair feel amazing. I have used olive oil and it never worked as well.

BobbeeBobbee

I went to a funeral today (distant friend of the family) and saw folk I haven’t seen for a few years. The wife told me how great my hair looked. You should have seen the look on her face when I said I only used water and once a month carb soda to wash it AND no shampoos and conditioners. Then she became very interested and asked a few pertinent questions as she is having problems with her own hair.

Like Andre I have been doing this for a few years now and it is obviously the right way for me to clean my hair. My hair is soft and bouncy and when I need to, I use coconut oil as a conditioner. I just rub a little of the oil on my hands and rub my hands through my hair, as mentioned in another post.

My scalp used to get something rather like psoriasis (which I have elsewhere) and was always itchy, my hair needed more and more conditioner to stop it from being so dry it felt like straw, and my hair used to be so ‘fly away’ that I was embarrased and used to wear it tied back in a funny ponytail thingy or screwed up in a bun thingy.

There is no way I am going back to shampoo and conditioner.

PS: I always used so-called ‘good’ quality hair products. Now I use the very best available, :cheer: carb soda, water and coconut oil. :woohoo:

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I tried all sorts of things in the six months, including coconut oil. I found it didn’t soak into my hair, but sat on top and collected dirt. I tried a strand test once to see how absorbent my hair is. The test is you take a piece of hair and put it in a glass of water. If it sinks straight away then use as much oil as you like because it will all soak in. If it takes longer, say 5 minutes to sink then your hair has low absorbency and oils won’t work. I found that after 30 minutes my hair still didn’t sink so I tipped out the water and called it a day.

It would be an interesting study to see if the people who apply oil have hair that sinks quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 419 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.