Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

"No 'Poo"

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 419 total)
  • Author
    jaymesjaymes

I have a small one with bristles that I got from Woolies 😆 I’ve been wanting to get a larger brush for a while, but haven’t seen one that I don’t need to re-mortgage the house for :tdown:

mum2twinsmum2twins

Mason Pearson brushes are the Rolls Royce of hair brushes.

They are made of natural bristles and will set you back more than $100.

They have been around for a very very long time.

David Jones stock them.

annemareeannemaree

Good luck Purrsikat, they are hard to come by if you have thick hair. I use a ‘scalp’ brush from Stefan (bout $25) which actually gets through my hair, which most of them don’t. I’ve found it’s made a real difference to my oily scalp.

Anne-maree

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Ok Ok … It’s been 2 whole days now and my hair is bloody awful…. I have to go to work tomorrow so I’m not sure how I’ll go resisting the urge to wash it in the morning.

Suz, 3 months seems like a long way off…… :jawdrop:

AnjaAnja

How would those of us who suffer from dandruf go?

KirstyKirsty

I’m giving this a go:tup: question is I work in a really smelly enviroment…..how do I get the yuck smell out of my hair?

mum2twinsmum2twins

How would those of us who suffer from dandruf go?

In a notherthread…somewhere on here a very wise woman (forget who it was) pointed out that dandruff is actually a fungal/yeast problem.

Maybe try the yoghurt rinse as the acidophillous may be just the thing for your scalp.

KiewietKiewiet

I’ve been going without for most of the year -now and again I use a olive oils soap when I am grubby or feeling yuck but for the most part I just “water the mop”. My super itchy flaky scalp has cleared, and after about 4 weeks I noticed my hair was becoming soft but not oily. The worst part is getting over the initial stages and I found using a herb rinse really helped me feel cleaner.

Kirsty, what kind of smell do you have to cope with? My hair is really like a mop for all kinds of smells and a flowered vinegar or water with a few drops of essential oil or herbs usually helps. The rest of the time I just rinse with luke warm water. As a bonus I found that rinsing my hair when I got home has cut back on my hayfever :tup:

osakasuzosakasuz

Good luck Chezza and Kirsty!:hug:

You can use lots of things if you are worried about smell, in the end I just used water but here are some I also tried with some success:

* Boil the skin of a lemon in water, strain and use liquid as rinse (keep in fridge).

* Yogurt mixed with warm water (this smells yogury when drying, though).

* Vinegar with rosemary steeped in it for a few days, a weak solution, say 1 tbsp in 1 cup water.

* An egg yolk.

* Tea – black or green.

* Any herbal infusion you like (peppermint is nice)

I see an acupuncturist once a week and she often does ‘moxibustion’ (burning herbs to create heat over the body). When she is finished I smell like I have been smoking herbal cigarettes! A simple rinse with water gets that smell out of my hair. :tup:

purrsikatpurrsikat

Thanks for the advice on the hair brushes… :hug: :tup: much appreciated. I’ll go check those out.. not sure if i’ll spend $100 if I’m going to shave my mop off relatively soon anyway.. :uhoh: hmmmm…! 🙂

TamandcoTamandco

I have long hair and my daughter has long, fine and very curly hair. I bought our Mason Pearson from Myer for $139. It was worth every cent. I got the one with a mixture of boar bristles and nylon tufts. http://www.masonpearson.com/

AnjaAnja

OMG I think I am going to give it a go too! Its cool enough now that I can start wearing hats when I have to pick the kids up from school, so hopefully will hide the oilyness for the first few weeks.

How liberating would it be to not have to shampoo anymore! And one less expense at the stupormarket!

JakalumaJakaluma

I’m on day 3 – and my hair is already so oily and horrible. Have hats as my main arsenal;)

mum2twinsmum2twins

Yep I am on day 3 as well – so far my hair is looking ok :tup:

Will wait and see how we go over the next couple of days!

creekercreeker

To manage “smelly” hair, try putting a couple of drops of your fav essential oil onto your hairbrush before brushing. Rose is nice, or a citrus, or good old patchouli. Only a couple of drops though, otherwise it’s too overpowering, esp if you have long hair.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 419 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.