Aussies Living Simply

No 'paste

• This topic has 58 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JinjaJinja.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    fruitfulfruitful

In an effort to become more self reliant and not use products that I can’t reproduce myself (bicarb, can’t get past the toothbrush tho) I have discovered that you can brush your teeth with Aloe Vera. Simply peel the outer layer of the leaf, wash off the nastier outer gel and use the inner gel on your toothbrush, it even froths up. Does a great job, especially for sensitive gums. The only thing I haven’t fine tuned is how to keep a leaf in the bathroom without drying up after one or two uses. An airtight container helps but I’m thinking of potting up a plant and perhaps bringing it inside? or near the back door for easy access, also there is the bother of having to strip the leaf and wash it etc every night before brushing. I don’t know if my aloe is the barbadensis variety which is the first aid one but I figure it doesn’t really matter for my teeth!? Also the gel is slimy(ish) so that may put some people off too.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Wow, I might give that a try fruitful, I have lots of aloe vera around. Thanks for sharing 🙂

You can keep aloe leaves going for longer if you put them in the fridge too.

fruitfulfruitful

Oh thanks Humbug, perhaps and airtight container in the fridge might work. I’ll give that a go.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

bump 😀

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I have found a simple recipe that I thought I would share, it involves useing coconut oil. I use coconut oil for almost everything.. I am going to make it today 🙂

http://crestcottagecreations.blogspot.com/2011/03/toothpaste.html

fruitfulfruitful

hey there humbug, did you try the aloe vera?? what did you think?? did anyone else give it a try??

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

fruitful post=306931 wrote: hey there humbug, did you try the aloe vera?? what did you think?? did anyone else give it a try??

I did give it a go fruitful and I must say, it was quite odd.. but yes I could get used to it and it’s a very handy thing to know. It was a great tip you shared 🙂

fruitfulfruitful

yes, humbug, odd is a good descriptive word for it. i guess we are just so used to toothpaste in a tube that anything else is “odd”. i’ve also got a recipe for a body wash/shampoo with lemon myrtle tea that gets mixed in with the aloe gel. no quantities. kept in the fridge if not used straight away.

just have to find lemon myrtle tea now.

these recipes came from the how can i be prepared with self sufficiency and survival foods by isabell shippard.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Cool, Humbug

And what did it taste like?

What was ‘odd’?

Did you manage to keep it fresh / or use a fresh ‘leaf’ each time?

Having said that, surely it can’t be as ‘jaw-clenching’ an experience/taste than straight bi-carb.. 😆 < note the smiley has no teeth 🙂

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Andre post=307121 wrote: Cool, Humbug

And what did it taste like?

What was ‘odd’?

Did you manage to keep it fresh / or use a fresh ‘leaf’ each time?

Having said that, surely it can’t be as ‘jaw-clenching’ an experience/taste than straight bi-carb.. 😆 < note the smiley has no teeth 🙂

G’day Andre 🙂

It certainly was nowhere near as ‘jaw clenching’ as using bi-carb, lol..

It was odd in the sense of putting some gooey plant inards on my tooth brush and cleaning my teeth, kinda odd.. I guess. You will have to try it to understand.

It is fairly tasteless.. in fact I have wondered if I scraped the gel from the leaf, mushed it up and added some spearmint essential oil, how that would go :whistle:

Depending on the size of the leaf it can keep for a few days to a week in the fridge in an air tight container. It gradually dries and hardens.

Do you have some ? I would be happy to send you a leaf or 2 and you can try it for yourself, just let me know.

The evil smiley has teeth … or is that one big tooth 😛

renewrenew

Hi Andre,

This is my first post on Aussies Living Simply but as I’m also using bicarb as toothpaste (with a squeeze of lemon juice) as a substitute to toothpaste I thought I’d send this email. Not sure how far in advance I can put the “paste” together – any ideas? – so at this stage am making it up daily. It’s only been a few months so haven’t been to the dentist yet. I’m guessing dentists would much rather we use commercial toothpaste but I’m finding my teeth feel cleaner – and you certainly get used to the “tangy” taste of the bicarb.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Hey there renew..

Welcome to ALS.. make up a new post in the Introduction folder.. and tell us all about yourself..

No idea about how long the lemon juice will last … sorry about that.

Maybe make up a small batch and put it in a small bottle/vial/tube and test it out.

I dare say the taste wouldn’t get worse… :laugh:

kerriebkerrieb

I had someone buy some castille (olive soap) for brushing their teeth. Not sure what my dentist would think about it.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Thought I’d bump this up .. especially for the newbies 🙂

I did get a check-up with the dentist recently. …

I should floss more, as some of my teeth are close together and brushing alone doesn’t quite clean sufficiently. I also needed to replace an old filling.

So .. other than that, my teeth are fine.

It has been almost 2 years since my teeth have seen such stuff as Colgate (on a regular basis). It has been 99.9% bicarb. The only times I use ‘real’ toothpaste is when I’m visiting, and don’t have access to the bicarb.

Any newbies interested? What are your thoughts?

:whistle:

JayneJayne

Thanks for bumping this Andre,

Just today I was in the shop buying toothpaste and loath not really knowing what it is I am cleaning my teeth with, probably ingesting it and paying too many dollars for the experience. You have inspired me to give bicarb a go. I used to use the ‘bi-carb’ store bought toothpaste, which once you got used to the taste was just fine.

I grew up a fluoride kid and my teeth have been ok except for the odd decay between the teeth, so same as you Andre I have been told by my dentist to floss. I have also been advised to use a fluoride mouthwash. Now we live off grid, on tank water I am a little concerned about my lack of fluoride although some may say I am better off without it??? Not sure where I stand on the whole fluoride debate but I will be trying some bicarb soon anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.