Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

No 'paste

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Hi all

Similar to the No ‘poo thread … has anyone reduced/substituted what they use to brush teeth?

If so … how and what?

About a year ago, I decided to just dab the tooth brush in some bicarb and see what happens.

Okay, it tasted aweful, but after the initial shock, you get used to it.

That was a year ago.

I recently visited the dentist only to hear he was bored and there was nothing for him to do.

My teeth – with no toothpaste for over 12 months – had a clean bill of health.

I suspect that the town water, with it’s government added fluoride, may have had a part to play (mind you, my water tends to be coffee flavoured :side: ) and I have one sugar.

Those ALSers purely on rain/dam/bore water might have different results.

What is your story?

B)

luvinluvin

i use rain water with bicarb,no problems,my grandbabes do not mind using it here,but not at home

have not heard of too many using it

BlueWrenBlueWren

I use a product I get online from Trusted Health Products, USA .It’s called ORA MD The Mouth Doctor and is 100% Botanical Oils of peppermint,spearmint and almond.I have used it for years because I don’t trust the stuff in toothpaste.I don’t have good teeth but have had no decay since using this product, which is also very good for gums.There may be a similar product available in Oz but I am very happy with Ora MD.

zippyzippy

I use Grant’s toothpaste. It has a pic of a Koala on the front. It’s the only non-sulfate, non-fluride paste I can find. It’s all good stuff and tastes rather nice. I’d never get the kids to use bi-carb! works a treat though.

Even all the “natural, organic” etc etc pastes still have sulfates which diddle with your hormones and fertility.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

I went the bicarb method in an effort to simplify my life, to reduce my requirements for visiting the stupidmarket.

Now … If only I could make/produce my own bicarb …….

:silly:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

my recipe is

2/3c bi-carb

4tspns sea salt

pure peppermint essential oil

mix it all together and make into a paste

I have been using this for a fair while now

karyn26karyn26

calliecat what do you store this mix in once made

and how long does it last eg go stale

where do you locate pure peppermint ess oil

my dentist has me on a sensitive t/paste and thye can be quite expensive between different brands.

I grew up in a water flourdation area and the dentist where I am now commented on my teeth and the childrens when we first saw him.

Apparently we are on bore water not 100% sure as there are too many conflicting stories around this town about our water.

BronBron

my first 5 years were on fluoridated water (and i was formula fed, so got lots of the stuff) and my teeth were awful. ditto both my sisters.

one child has bad teeth due to her dairy allergy (it wasn’t till she was 3 that i worked it out 🙁 ) so far her adult teeth are ok (via the xray), so hopefully our regime of teeth cleaning daily, organic eating and using an ionic toothbrush is working.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

karyn26 post=299661 wrote: calliecat what do you store this mix in once made

and how long does it last eg go stale

where do you locate pure peppermint ess oil

my dentist has me on a sensitive t/paste and thye can be quite expensive between different brands.

I grew up in a water flourdation area and the dentist where I am now commented on my teeth and the childrens when we first saw him.

Apparently we are on bore water not 100% sure as there are too many conflicting stories around this town about our water.

I just mix and keep in a small plastic container that sits on my bathroom cabinet – it has a lid on so doesn’t go off or store it in a small jar

pure peppermint ess oil try the chemist

karyn26karyn26

Thanks calliecat,

Bron what is an ionic toothbrush?

gleanertgleanert

I have read not to use straight salt on teeth as it removes the enamel:ohmy:

If you still want to use salt then its best to use salt water.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

gleanert post=299829 wrote: I have read not to use straight salt on teeth as it removes the enamel

I have actually heard this about the bi carb. Some teeth are more susceptible than others I believe.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Ah well

I will let you know when my teeth fall out.

I had sensitive teeth before I started the bicarb.

Perhaps I’ll adopt the paste mix mentioned earlier … :whistle:

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I am sure your dentist would have informed you of any enamel going astray, I don’t think you have any problems Andre 🙂

bushybushy

I use straight bi carb powder, dip brush in several times during cleaning, tastes ok and gives a better clean than paste

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.