Aussies Living Simply

Newbie…tread gently!

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Introduce yourself Newbie…tread gently!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Lizzie1681

Pea straw is suitable for use in no-digs, right? Sorry for the dumb question but googling ‘lucerne suppliers’ (as per the site I mentioned in the original post) got me nowhere. Then happened across some pea straw in Big W of all places – one small bale says it does 10m square and is only around $10.

And will commercial moo poo do okay for the fertilizer component? I don’t have access to fresh manure (at least not now, though relatives have a farm and the inlaws are passing along the message to set aside a couple of bags for us). In fact, pretty much everything (at least at first) will need to be commercially purchased…

Cheers,

Lizzie

Bobbee

Lizzie,

As to the suitability of pea straw for what you want – I have no idea.

What I have been told on this site is – no question is a dumb question

-if we don’t know something we have to ask to find out…:tup:

I buy certified organic moo poo. I assume that is good stuff.

Scarecrow’s Garden as mentioned a couple of times above is really helpful and inspiring. :tup:

Have fun. :metal:

Lizzie1681

Scarecrow’s blog went straight into my Google Reader subscription list, LOL.

Anyone favour a particular brand of (commercial) vegie seed? I know some of you would mail order but I’m kind of limited with that – I’d want to sow before they arrived anyhow.

Cheers,

Lizzie

jaymes

Hi Lizzie, have fun with the garden πŸ˜€

Lady Bee

Lizzie, you might be lucky to find some Eden seeds, they turn up in the oddest of places, for instance there’s a bulk foods place in Albury that have them, and also a gift/candle/soap/collectables type place in Bright. Now I know that neither of them are any good to you; I use them more to illustrate the odd places you may find some.

Shame you’ve just missed our “seed swap”.

I’ve had fairly good results with Yates seeds, most of the time they’ve been fine, some just haven’t germinated, but that could well be me. πŸ˜€

What do you have the choice of near where you are?

Lizzie1681

Well lets see – I must admit, I have just perused the seed shelf at Bunnings at present but there are Yates (of course), Diggers Club I think and what’s the other main commercial one? Two or three anyway.

Hey, do you think kitty litter boxes would make good seed germinating trays? NEW of course! LOL. How much of your (everyone’s) seed raising stuff comes from recycled materials at home? Was just thinking the other day that the little tray I get these mini pizza things from the Woolies bakery in would be great little mini-greenhouses – kind of like a clam-shell setup. Gosh, I’m clever, LOL. At one point (when I was considering container gardening) I bought a (black) recycling crate because of the depth and price (cheap, compared to traditional pots). Probably won’t use that for vegies now because I eventually read black=fried vegies from heat rentention but at the time I was rather chuffed at my ingenuity. Any other weird and wonderful container ideas? Not so much needed now for the growing, but always interested for the seed raising bit.

Cheers,

Lizzie

Madryn

Hi Lizzie,

I’ve just joined too, so a welcome to both of us I guess! Although I’m new to the site, I’m an old hand at organic garden, and just thought maybe to mention a couple of things.

Old tyres do indeed leach nasties into the soil, as another correspondent suggested. Not a good idea near food crops, clean soil or waterways.

I use old apple bins (I’m from Tassie) but maybe someone near you uses big wooden fruit bins or crates you can beg or buy – these make terrific raised beds, and compost bins. Also old water tanks are great cut down to size. Try your local tip-shop.

Another terrific method is making “bins” out of straw bales. These are great for water retention and wind barriers, and at the end of the season, just break them up and use them as mulch! Cheap. light, easy and look good too!

Madryn

Madryn

Me again, regarding seed suppliers, read recently that Yates are now owned by Monsanto, a big evil American company pushing GMO’s and toxic agricultural chemicals. Beware!

Madryn

djc

Lizzie

Kitty litter boxes are fine just don’t forget to put drainage holes in the bottom and if you use raised beds don’t make them too long or too wide(4×1.5m recommended in most places). I grow potatoes in old buckets. We’re just coming into autumn here in UK and I’ve just palnted my seed potatoes and carrots ready for pulling Christmas day!

Welcome to the site. I love it and still learn things after 25 years of growing and log on as often as possible although mostly through the night your time(10.30am here 7.30pm your time)

bystarlight

Welcome Lizzie!!! Great to see you are so interested in veggie gardening – something which I am still new to but love completely. I am tryign to sow some of my veggie seeds in egg cartons at the moment. That way when they grow, I can just plant them still in their egg compartment.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.