Aussies Living Simply

New to the Forum and Australia!

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Introduce yourself New to the Forum and Australia!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    ClaireC

Thanks Andre and Fruitful :wave: Nice to meet you both.

I am looking into internet at the moment and thinking to sign up for clear networks satellite service, but we don’t have power at the site right now so it may be a month or more until I am fully up and running. I bought a vegetable oil generator in the UK and have shipped that to Australia with the rest of my belongings, so hopefully it will arrive by end of Feb so that we will at least have some power until we get the solar set up!

crystal

Hi claire,

Sounds like you are living the dream! Except the snakes, they arent in any good dreams i ever have!

BlueWren

Almost up, up and away Claire!! :tup: :clap:

Have a great trip over.Are you coming straight or having a stop over somewhere?Bit wet in QLD at the moment! Bit like home!

penny

Welcome to Australia Claire. It definitely is one of the best places in the world to live. Snakes are everywhere but are very shy? Anyway they will move most times when they here you coming. A good first aid course will stand you in good stead should you be unlucky enough to have a snake encounter. We have had our property for ten years and I have been lucky only once to see a snake, and I love them. We see where they have been so know they are about but don’t see them.

Sounds like you have a task ahead of you but what an adventure.

ClaireC

Hi everyone, thanks for the messages. I have just managed to get online in my new shed home after flying out almost 2 weeks ago. The snake evictions are going well, have been taking about 3 a day out of our home, mainly brown tree snakes and small eyes, but we also have a huge carpet python living on the log pile. On my first ever drive in, a juvenile cassowary ran up to the truck being chased by 3 dingos! Crazy. We still have no real power but i have bought a small gen and a rural mobile with 3G which thankfully will let me use the internet for now. Hoping to start ‘my patch’ this week once things are more settled.

Best wishes

Claire

ballamara

Hi ClaireC glad it’s you and not me with the snakes…they freak me out big time.

BlueWren

Hallo Claire!! And so glad to hear you made it all the way to the shed.Would have been some trip. :ohmy:

Hope it all goes really well and we shall be interested in your progress when you have time.I imagine you will both be very busy.

Hope the cassowary got away!

HT

Greeting Claire

Welcome to Oz and ALS,I was city girl who wanted to marry a farmer from when I was 8yrs of age I managed that 20+ years ago 🙂 Living in the bush can be a wonderful life but it can also be very isolating,physically and emotionally.Being married to your bestest friend and enjoying the simple things in life makes a huge difference.

My husband and I spoke about a moment in time we shared with one of our son’s over 20yrs ago,involving lighting up the farms rubbish tip and how much fun we had watching the aerosol cans explode and shoot off like fireworks,(not politically or ecologically correct now but it was what we did then)its time shared together because there is nobody else around that teaches you your strengths and weaknesses.

I look forward to reading your tales of rural life.

HT

fruitful

glad you arrived safe and sound Claire, can’t wait for you to get settled in and hopefully get some pictures up, sounds incredible – poor cassowary!!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.