Aussies Living Simply

New property – just can't live there yet!

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Property Tales New property – just can't live there yet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    AshilleongAshilleong

G and I have managed to find our dream property, after a mammoth interstate search.

I post occasionally, but not regularly, mostly keeping an eye on the ‘recent’ tab and contributing now and then. I love the idea of simplifying and have been taking small steps to do so. We bought a house in Perth a few years ago, but had to move to a minimg town for work (I’m a teacher, my husband is a trainee geologist), which meant having lodgers in our Perth house. It’s interesting when people post about ‘landlords’ and how they are pushing people out of the housing market as I don’t feel that way at all. One of the couple in our house is in a wheelchair and they spent a year and a half trying to find a house to live in as they have a modest income and a surprising number of people won’t rent to someone in a wheelchair due to a fear of wall damage. They get cheap rent as they are only lodging (but get to use the house on their own most the time as we get home rarely) and we get someone keeping an eye on the place. Recent trips down have turned me off living in the city – it feels like everything is getting…nasty.

Anyway, after a few years of living in the desert, we went on holiday to the Northern Rivers area of NSW – and it felt like releasing a breath you didn’t know you were holding in. I totally fell in love with the communities and villages. It took two years, but we finally found the place of our dreams – 5 acres with a creek running through. The house needs work, but I don’t think I would have been happy with something that was ‘perfect’

We can’t live there yet (and have become landlords again!) as we would need to sell the Perth house. The minimg sector isn’t stable enough for us to keep it, which means saying goodbye to our wonderful lodgers. It’s still going to take some time for us to get that house ready for sale so we are looking at moving over at the end of next year. We are also hoping to start a family at the same time as I would like to raise kids in a simular environment to that which I grew up – plenty of trees to climb and nature to explore.

Anyway, I thought I’d share a bit about us and our hopes. This forum is great as there are so many people from different backgrounds and at different life stages. It makes me optimistic that community may still exist and that we are not alone in thinking that ‘better’ does not necessarily mean ‘more’.

Attached files

BelBel

Oh, wow! That place looks great! What’s the work that needs to be done? It sure is beautiful and in such a gorgeous setting. I know the feeling about wanting to raise the kids in the great outdoors. Mine are 6 & 8 yrs old now and we’re going to move to the Adelaide Hills, if only we can find the right property (and they’ll sell it to us!). Good luck with your housing adventures – getting a house ready for sale sure can be a pain! And good luck with your dream of starting a family. See you around the site 🙂

AshilleongAshilleong

Some of the rooms and doors were only painted in primer (then lived in) so there are some uncleanable handprints and the ensuite and kitchen needs work – what is there is serviceable, but G has his heart set on cooking with gas, so we’ll need to get a bottle fitted etc and there are some….interesting… defects in the plastering, especially the corners – mostly minor things that we’re happy doing and not unexpected as the house was owner built.

Some things, like the mountain gouat driveway may not be easily remedied (or fixed at all_

I want to put in veggie gardens and keep native bees – which are fascinating – and Mr G wants to look at setting up ponds for organic table fish.

The right property took abut 2 years of looking and a fair few hiccoughs, but we knew it when we walked in. Having it there waiting helps when the workday is a little too interesting. It’s nice to have somewhere to at least mentally escape to.

Attached files

BelBel

What a lovely view! Sounds like most of your ‘fix-ups’ are fairly minor, which is a good thing. When do you think you’ll be able to move in?

I’d love to have bees as well – if we move to a property, we’ll definitely have some. We have an aquaponics system here at the moment with some fairly big silver perch. We’ve had good success with jade perch and rainbow trout in the past as well. The fish are lovely to eat and the veggies grow so much quicker with the waste ‘fertiliser’ from the fish.

diannedianne
    Participant

WOW!!!! I can see why you would want to live there, beautiful.

# Bel… WHEN you move

JilstaJilsta
    Participant

Stunning property

Your fix up jobs sound like standard problems around my house. Ours is a mudbrick and as lots of querky issues but will never be straight edges and perfection.

I would move into your stunning house as is , probably would even pitch a tent inside if i had to, the surrounding environment is just stunning. We are looking to relocate in the hope that we can find an environment similar to yours

Well done on finding such a beautiful property

Jill

AshilleongAshilleong

Thank you. I would move in in a heartbeat if we didn’t have to finish up another year of work here. Bad timing for us, but we weren’t about to let this one slip away!

We got to sleep in it two nights before we had to return for work – camp chairs, blow up mattress – sometimes there’s a weird feel to houses the first time you sleep in them, but I didn;t get that here.

Didn’t sleep much though, spent the early morning walking through the house ust touching the walls and look at everything, knowing it would be some time until I could do so again.

It does mean that I’m waiting all the time, like “When we move, that’s when my life will begin”

Funny how things work out – 10 years ago I would have said I’d be living in a flat in San Francisco, and here I am now yearning for a 3bedroom house with a creek!

The other thing is that I’ve always been really resistant to having kids. I’m stubborn and deeply contrary (one of the reasons I’ve never properly learnt to drive) and the more pressure my family keeps putting on me to have kids the more resistant I feel. Now I’m coming around to the idea (I really do need to be left to do things in my own time) I don’t feel like I can talk to anyone about it -I know what they’ll be like and I’m trying not to lash out and retreat from the idea. The house has opened up a door to a life I really didn’t think I’d want to lead.

Attached files

BelBel

Is that your kitchen? Wow!! I bet you can’t wait to move in – I’d be excited to be living there. A year will fly!

It sounds like the house has come along at the perfect time in your life. I had always wanted children, but understand for some it is an idea that ‘grows on you’. A few colleagues didn’t have children til their 30’s because they didn’t actually think they wanted any, then had a couple in quick succession. Having had them, they say they couldn’t imagine life without them. I can relate to stubborn-ness too, though, being quite head-strong myself….

JilstaJilsta
    Participant

As Bel says a year will fly. Plenty of time though to plan and prepare, including decisions on having children. When we are settled and happy we tend to make better decisions whatever they be. And really the longer we are on the planet the longer we learn and discover and that’s why our desires change. I am desperate to move from what I thought was going to be my utopia but after 3 years here I have learnt that the facade of the region and town is not a true reflection of the community. A lesson learned 🙂 However on a positive note in preparation for moving here I discovered this site and community – and have learned so much, so it wasn’t all a disaster

Where is your property is the region a similar landscape to your property? Or have you found a Brigadoon (name of old movie) nestled in the landscape?

Jill

AshilleongAshilleong

Yes and no. The property is near Murwillumbah, which is part of a volcano caldera (although the caldera part has been disputed by some geologists). Directly in front of it is farmland (attached picture) and directly behind is a 100 acre property that is mostly rainforrest – we need to make friends with this guy. Behind that is the Border Ranges/Springbok National Park.

This is a high growth area, especially by the coast, which unfortunately has a high level of unemployment. There is a substantial ‘older’ population as well as many of the young people move away. I’m a research brain and I’ve been looking into the cencus and community plan data but while that can give you statistics, sometimes it’s not that useful. High Growth means, potentially, more housing development but this shouldn’t affect us too much as the house is in the middle of the plot and the surrounding plots are not easy to build on.

Community is one of the reasons we’re moving and I’m really hoping it’s a good fit for us, but that’s one of the things you can’t possibly know until you’ve lived there, regardless of what you try to find out online. I’m trying to look into where I can volunteer when over there and I know that Tweed has a rollerderby group that I can try to join.

Part of the push to live simpler is due to the fact that one property we were looking at didn’t have rubish collection. This made be think of how much waste we produce on a weekly basis and how we can cut down. This house – which MrG is calling ‘Serentity Valley’ because he has a warped sense of humour and is a geek- has rubbish collection, but the driveway is all stupid kinds of steep and this really reinforces the desire to cut down on waste (but hey, at least I’ll get fit). I hate supermarkets. Growing your own and reusing means fewer trips and I’m all over that!

Attached files

BelBel

Community is one of the reasons we are looking to move too. I like the idea of swapping/sharing ideas and produce with people nearby. We’ve already noticed that our potential new neighbours have cattle and we’re hoping to have a few head of sheep, so maybe we can swap beef for lamb….

We won’t have waste collection either! It certainly does make you think about what you throw away.

Wishing you all the best on your journey. How exciting!

Have you been watching Gourmet Farmer/River Cottage or any of those types of shows? I’ve found that they really inspired us to just make the move!

JilstaJilsta
    Participant

Oh Wow the landscape is stunning, lucky you

Jill

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Congratulations! Its a beautiful area around there (its our favourite camping area).

AshilleongAshilleong

Where do you usually camp? We’ve stayed in one of tha caravan sites, but would love to know more about some other places to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCdTMVRlyBM&feature=youtu.be We filmed it when we did our initial inspection (the stuff in the house is not ours) Best watched with the sound off as there is an annoying tap the whole way through and my heavy breathing as I climb one of the steeper tracks.

BobbeeBobbee

It looks great to me Ashilleong. :tup:

With lots of scope for imagination for gardening. Good luck with it all.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.