Aussies Living Simply

NEW: gabs from Enfield, SA

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Introduce yourself NEW: gabs from Enfield, SA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Gabs247Gabs247

Hi all,

stumbled across this forum whilst googling randomly.

we’re building a new house in Enfield, SA and trying to mix cost, sustainability and practicality into the build; it’s been tough, and there are plenty of compromises, but we think it should be good. still waiting for the foundations to go down, plenty of delays, but it has given me time to think about the garden.

i always wanted fruit trees and a vegie patch, but recently my wife stumbled across Deep Green Permaculture (check out Angelo’s blog if you haven’t already seen it). It got me really inspired about Permaculture, and got me questioning some of the techniques that I’d grown up with. This has led me on to many more things, such as Aquaponics, Wicking Beds, Vertical Gardens, etc.

i guess one of the difficult things is where do you start. looking for people with similar ideals, and working out what they did wrong and what they did right. also, trying to share tips as well as resources if possible, as starting up is a big expense (especially with Aquaponics). Angelo really gets behind the Permaculture philosophy, saying that he has given away hundreds of dollars worth of plants/food to visitors that he’d probably not use anyway.

anyway, i’m rambling.

cheers,

gabs

IdunaIduna

Hello and welcome.

Hello and welcome from down south

BelBel

Hi Gabs and welcome. You’re not far from me! It’s amazing what you can fit onto a small (or large) block in suburbia. We had an aquaponics system from Practical Aquaponics until last week when we sold it. We were very happy with it, but it doesn’t fit in with our short-term plans for moving to a property. If you buy the right system, it will need very little input to keep it going. I don’t think we’d tested the water in ours for over a year, the system was so balanced it just kept going. The fish were nearly plate size 🙁 Enjoy your building! And I hope you enjoy the site 🙂

KristyKristy

Welcome Gabs, this is such a fantastic site, I’m sure you will find all sorts of information that will be helpful. I saw information about duckponics, which was recycling the ducks swimming water for growing veggies in, something I need to have another look into.

Hope the building is going smoothly

Hi and welcome…. Joel Salatin says to not do anything you can’t afford and that’s a great place to start… If you can start hoarding compost materials and/or start composting go for it… Just in piles along your boundary so they can break down once the weather warms up… A couple of chooks is doable as well..

Gabs247Gabs247

Kristy, I started reading you thread last night, what a fantastic experience you had getting it going so quickly it seemed (although haven’t finished reading yet). Great photos too. I do so hope to blog when things get going.

No, unfortunately, things are moving very slowly still, many delays including weather atm.

I have recylcing in mind, but there will be a compromise between sustainability, practicability, aesthetics and budget…I have ideas, like growing vines over water tanks, fences, etc. But hoping to find people willing to share/trade with me as I go along, have already had some plants donated by family, friends, FreeCycle and via SeedSavers, so taht’s a start! Living with my parents while we build, and trying to build up their compost heap and using my mum’s planting beds 😀

I want to start acquiring plants/trees ASAP, in hope we can start planting next Winter/Spring (NOTE, I’m a novice so google is my friend with this stuff).

cheers,

gabs

mudhenmudhen

Welcome from another in NE Adelaide — like Bel, not far from you at all. You can get cheap fruit trees from a fellow who sells at the Gepps Cross Markets. I bought citrus from him last year for $10 each, he often has a decent little variety. The ABC carpark market is coming up again on October 12, the plants aren’t necessarily cheap but there’s some good quality, great variety and certainly bargains to be had at the end of the day. I’m happy to share herbs that I have too much of, but will wait to offer till you’re more settled.

KristyKristy

That’s frustrating when things are going to slowly and delays etc, fully understand as I have built once myself a small unit and took much longer then we expected!

I did put in a lot of effort when I first moved in to get rubbish removed, the land levelled etc, but the last year I have been demotivated and only just getting back into it again this last month!

Mudhen I have always wanted to see the ABC carpark market. Do you think it would be worth a trip from Callington to visit? Do they have many plants you don’t see eleswhere?

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Hi and welcome, everyone here is a helpful freindly bunch.

Guess Im off to gepps in the next fortnight or so, thanks mudhen

mudhenmudhen

Sorry to hijack your thread Gabs!

Kirsty, I love the ABC market for the variety that’s there. There are a lot of commercial sellers, but some home grown ones as well. The rare fruit society always has a stall and they have a good choice of unusual fruit trees. I wasn’t able to find herbs like comfrey at any of the usual hardware store / garden centres but found it there. Lots of in season veggie seedlings at reasonable prices and lots of more established plants, natives and exotics. It’s not huge but if you combine it with other things to do in town, I think it’s worth the visit.

Froot_loopz, if you can get to Gepps Cross markets I think you’ll love it. They’re open till 2pm and I only usually get there after 1 when there are lots of bargains to be had. I’ve often got big boxes of fruit for a few dollars at the end of the day. One of my best buys was a styro box of corn for $10. I baked the lot in the husks in the oven for about 15 – 20 mins then cut it off the kernels and froze them in zip lock bags. Mandys and navel ornages are cheap at the moment.

Gabs247Gabs247

no problems, I found this: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/07/24/3594172.htm?site=adelaide&program=adelaide_weekends

The Herb propagating event sounds good too, and my wife will probably like the Camelia one.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Hi Gabs, welcome 🙂

VanessaVanessa

Hi Gabs, welcome from another SA’er….although I am a bit more North than Enfield.

I’m sure you will find lots of like minded (and very helpful) people here.

It might be a bit far for you but I am involved with Transition Gawler which is about “Transitioning” from comsumerist, oil reliant lifestyles to those more community and sustainability focused. Basically dealing with the whole climate change/peak oil issues, in a positive way, “doing what we can now” sort of thing. We are only new but we have recently organised a Garden and Produce Share (fruit and veg swap) where we meet and share any excess we have. If you are intereseted in this sort of thing we have a website http://transitiongawler.org/ and we also have a facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/TransitionGawler) and a chat group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/133074643541406/) which if you are into facebook you would be more than welcome (and anyone else) to join.

Even if people aren’t in the area it is nice to think that maybe we could be inspiring others to do something, and with the internet we are all only a click away from each other.

Again Welcome to the site.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I saw the Garden and Produce swap in Gawler mentioned on facebook the other day.

Im quite interested in this

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.