Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

New forum site

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    smurfysmurfy

Hi all,

No, I’m not bitchin’….love the new site. But, I am having trouble trying to move through it and find postings and new threads. This is probably due to poor internet skills….so pls, any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Smurfy.

caddiecaddie
    Participant

Me Too!!!!

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

When I log in, I click on ‘Forum’ up the top to get a list of the recent topics. Then I look beside the subject of each thread in the list for the number of new posts in green. These are all the new posts since you last logged in.

If you click on the green writing (eg (3 NEW)) then you will be taken to the new posts instead of the start of the thread.

Once I have worked my way down the list and there is no more green text beside the subjects, then I know I have caught up since I last looked.

There is heaps more to explore but this is all I do on most occasions…

ahningahning

Is there a way to set the first page you see when you open the site without logging in? I don’t log out of this site, and I usually visit it via https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/. In the olden days that took me to the forum index. Now it redirects (I presume) to Recent Topics. Is this a cookie thing? Undocumented feature? Unintended enhancement?? Not a problem, just a preference. Far more significant is that the new site is much faster; that’s terrific.

After 20 years in software I really enjoy watching other people’s pain 😉

Cheers,

Ahning

marzmarz

Hey Ahning, did you get my pm about the book?

Anonymous
    Inactive

ahning post=295559 wrote: Is there a way to set the first page you see when you open the site without logging in? I don’t log out of this site, and I usually visit it via https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/. In the olden days that took me to the forum index. Now it redirects (I presume) to Recent Topics. Is this a cookie thing? Undocumented feature? Unintended enhancement?? Not a problem, just a preference. Far more significant is that the new site is much faster; that’s terrific.

After 20 years in software I really enjoy watching other people’s pain 😉

Cheers,

Ahning

yeah the default for /forum is the recent topics… If you wanted to go to the index from a bookmark just use. /forum/index/

sunbirdsunbird

I’m a bit transient and haven’t been here for a while except for a quick visit just before the change. Then I had a quick visit a couple days ago, and tonight is my first experience of using the board. It’s laid out differently to most of the other forums I visit, but no doubt I will get used to it.

Took me a while but I finally located the Preview button, and I love the way it works where you can see the changes as you make them.

The formatting bar looks pretty interesting too, with lots of goodies to make a presentable post.

One thing I find frustrating is the (what to me is vague) “2months, 4days ago” thing. I prefer things in concrete terms and would much rather read a date, and make the elapsed time calculation myself automatically.

Otherwise I think the changes are going to be great, and I hope to be able to get to this forum a lot more than I have in the past.

jaydatoojaydatoo

I’ve lost my op re hardy goats. I mistakenly put it in another category (this one perhaps?) rather than backyard livestock and then I requested a moderated to please move it to the right category if possible but it seems to have disappeared. Usually I’m not internet dumb but the new board seems to have thrown me!!! If it is still out there floating around, could someone please link me to it as I can see it has a new post but I can’t get into it. Says it doesn’t exist or something like that when I look up my topics.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I don’t mind the new site but I do have one thing I’d like to see and that is a pop up or something to say that you have a PM…… Please 🙂

bushybushy

With you on that one Judi….need a flag or something.

Otherwise…totally brilliant, easy as for me and I’m a puter dummy.

So much quicker than the old one, Good work team.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

You just have to pop into ‘community’ or ‘your profile’ which drops down from running your mouse over the ‘settings’ tab and you will have a little red bell on your ‘inbox’ tab indicating the number of pm’s you have waiting 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

bushy post=296632 wrote: With you on that one Judi….need a flag or something.

It’s on Geoff’s chalk board 🙂

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Humbug post=296633 wrote: You just have to pop into ‘community’ or ‘your profile’ which drops down from running your mouse over the ‘settings’ tab and you will have a little red bell on your ‘inbox’ tab indicating the number of pm’s you have waiting 🙂

I know that but if you send one it can take others several days to look and then you wonder if they got it at all. Just if something gets their attention they will bother to look.

Thanks Dan

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Judi B post=296640 wrote:

You just have to pop into ‘community’ or ‘your profile’ which drops down from running your mouse over the ‘settings’ tab and you will have a little red bell on your ‘inbox’ tab indicating the number of pm’s you have waiting 🙂

I know that but if you send one it can take others several days to look and then you wonder if they got it at all. Just if something gets their attention they will bother to look.

Thanks Dan

Pardon me Judi B, I obviously misread your post :unsure:

gartenfeegartenfee

that would be great,agree on this one

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.