Aussies Living Simply

new firefox download came with sweet pack search bar?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up new firefox download came with sweet pack search bar?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

g’day all.

once again 1st post dissapeared

we downloaded and installed a fresh firefox browser for win 7, and sitting there is that sweet pack search bar, so we uninstalled. did not see any place where we asked for anymore than a standard download.

is there any help please?

len

purplehat

Poor Len.. I searched and came up with a couple of different sites. They’re suggestions looked good;

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-sweetim-toolbar/

http://www.knysnawebsitedesign.co.za/sweetpacks-toolbar-remove-it-kill-it/

Firefox doesn’t “come with” sweetpack (thank goodness!).. just looks like you havn’t fully removed it yet. That one site said your search results may be changed and aren’t showing useful sites to remove the problem! That might explain why you’re having trouble finding the solution.

I hope one of those websites helps you out. Sounds like a frustrating problem. (Another “Thank goodness I use Ubuntu” case!)

Anonymous

g’day purplehat,

well yes i suppose i certainly didn’t ask for teh intrusion.

that malware link from what i see maybe won’t help me as sweet whatever is not in my program files or in control panel remove software, searching finds nothing. this is how it was the first time around.

will have a look at teh otehr site later i did look at his site first up, don’t remember seeing much help then, i already ahve ccleaner.

anyhow until later

ta

len

Anonymous

ok so far so good,

i downlaoded and installed regseeker from that second site, it found all these HKEY sites that where redundant in some way a lot of them so i tagged all and deleted and saved tehm to a file, i lost my gadgets that came with win7 ie.,. clock, temperature, and usage meter might have been anotehr one not sure.

but wow no sweetpack toolbar visible on new firefox download.

big ta

len

purplehat

Thanks for letting me know Len! I happen to have a friend’s computer here to fix and guess what.. SweetIM. Joy. I’ll grab that regseeker too and see if I can get rid of it for them. 🙂

Anonymous

purplehat,

sounds like you are above me in knowledge of computers.

i think it took too much out in teh process i can’t instal teh gadgets on teh desktop and before when i went into webmail at bigpuddle beside teh area where you tick save info’ whatever that little ? mark icon is gone(internet explorer).

so any suggestions in thopse area for a fix will be much appreciated

len

purplehat

Hi Len,

There is only one thing I can think of.. you’re right, sometimes after removing infected files and such, windows can be missing files. I’m not sure if it’ll fix anything, but you can try the System File Checker. It’s part of most Windows systems.. From Wikipedia:

Usage

In Windows NT-based operating systems, System File Checker can be invoked via Command Prompt, with the following command:

sfc /scannow

Without having the computer infront of me, I’m kinda stuck for further ideas.

DH and I wanted to do this stuff for a living, but because we’re no good at charging for our services, our business has since closed. We only fix friends computers now (that way we don’t have to charge them any $$!!) :laugh:

Anonymous

great stuff purplehat,

wanting to help, i’d be the same repairing mowers would rather help than charge for time.

we have win 7 i will check out your suggestions not sure in ant to go the command prompt used to in the old days, before M$ emerged can you imagine a 40 meg HDD and i think 3 something of ram running dr doss, then m$ dos 6.

will let you know

len

purplehat

I think if you search the start bar for “run”.. then you can run “cmd” and should get the prompt.

I started out the same way, with an old XT and a monochrome monitor. 🙂 Then the family got a 386 and the whole world opened up. Couldn’t ever imagine filling a 1gb hdd – wondered why people got them! Got a 14.4k modem and a 1x CD ROM. Cost a small fortune at the time. Things have changed very quickly. Still mostly just waste time on the silly things. 😛

Anonymous

yeh my first was 286 with 5 something inch floppy and dot matrix printer no online then

len

Anonymous

g’day purplehat,

tried search etc.,. but can’t find a system file checker in win 7, wiki doesn’t mention win 7 either by teh looks of it.

len

Anonymous

well eventually got the scan going and it tells me it found no problems.

len

purplehat

Oh cool. I’ve been working on an XP machine, so I was in that mindset still. After having some issues today with themes and such, I can only suggest that there might be a service that has been turned off (like happened to the computer I was working on today).

I’ve given back the computer and am glad to be back in Ubuntu Linux land once again. 🙂

I hope you get yours working the way you want it soon. I know how frustrating they can be. We do it for love.. or more specifically, for friends who just happen to be electricians and solar installers. 😉 lol

Anonymous

maybe it’s time for me to look at ubuntu again, sort of sticking with M$ force of habit hey?

len

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.