Aussies Living Simply

New Chook House

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    silentC

Thought I’d pop up some shots of the new chook house. The design is based on a few things I thought would be nice and stuff I had lying around.

I think it’s big enough for 12 chooks but it would be a tight squeeze. Better for 6 to 8 I think. I’ve got 5 now and they can all fit on one of the two perches, but one poor thing gets pushed off to the lower perch by the others.

The floor is mesh for ventilation and ease of cleaning and will be covered with straw in winter. They don’t like walking on it, so I gave in and put a walkway in front of the nesting boxes.

I made it so that the whole of one side opens up for cleaning. The floor lifts out as do the perches. It’s waist high to make it easier on my back and gives them a bit of security.

The entrance is a ramp which is lowered onto the ground via a rope and pulley set up. I’m going to fence an adjacent area over the next 12 months and will move them into that section so I can use the old one for garden. I’ve set up the fencing around the house itself so I can direct them into whichever area I want them by opening small gates (which I haven’t made yet).

Would love any feedback. They’ve been in it since Monday night and seem happy enough except for the wire floor, which I was never sure about anyway.

BlueWren

That all looks very practical silentC.12 might be pushing their friendships a bit! Not a bad woodpile either!

silentC

>12 might be pushing their friendships a bit!

Yes and I probably don’t need a dozen eggs a day either 🙂

Bobbee

It sounds good but I can’t see the pics unfortunately. 🙁

:tup:

silentC

Hmmm, maybe I didn’t link them right. Is that better?

Bobbee

That’s fantastic, thank you. :clap:

Looks like a veritable chooken palace to me silentC, well done. I agree it looks somewhat too small for 12 occupants though.

I love how they made it known that the flooring didn’t meet with their approval, and good lad that you are you gave them a decent pathway. I don’t blame them for not wanting to walk on the wire. Why not give them straw or hay on it now? Oh I forgot, it’s for ventalition while the weather is hot!!! :S (I think that’s what you said :blush: ).

Anyway I give it the :tup: .

🙂

silentC

Yeah I was always a bit sceptical about the wire. I saw some chook houses on the net that had wire floors and I suppose they get used to it. A couple of mine did walk around on it OK. I think the main problem was they could see the ground through it and so were nervous to walk on it. They would hop from the top perch to the lower perch and then across to the nesting box, then out the door. Was funny to watch but it was taking them ages to get out each morning.

I guess they would have gotten used to it eventually but it doesn’t really hurt the design to have a solid floor where they walk. The main part is under the perches where they poop most.

It works OK, most of it falls through and I just give it a shake every now and then to dislodge any that doesn’t. Then all I have to do is rake it up every now and then. I’ll put straw on the ground underneath and then I can just rake up the lot and throw it on the compost. In winter the straw will be on top of the mesh and I’ll just pull that out and do the same.

Because it’s fairly small, I thought it would be good to have plenty of ventilation this time of year. It gets fairly hot, high 20’s low 30’s during the day and can be hot and humid well into the evenings. Bit of an experiment so we’ll see how it goes.

Someone has pointed out to me that a fox could grab a chook by the toe from underneath, so I may add another bit of mesh with a 2″ gap between so that if there does happen to be a visitor he won’t be able to reach them through it. Not that they’d be standing on the wire anyway, but if I don’t do it and it happens I’ll have to live with the “told you so’s” and a chook called Stumpy.

Bobbee

I hadn’t thought of that and I guess I should have, I have seen the evidence of a young chicken being grabbed by a fox and pulled, hollus bollus, through the wire….not at all nice. 🙁

The foxes can also grab any part of a chook, feathers or head and yank on it through wire netting, the chook, at the very least, loses some feathers (or it’s head). And the poor things go through a ‘shock’ episode even with the fox so close much less being hurt or killed. 🙁

Bloody foxes, such beautiful creatures but with such a propensity for killing!

silentC

I suppose they have to eat like anything else. We just have to make it hard for them and hopefully they’ll move on to easier pickings.

I’ve only seen one fox in the last 6 1/2 years but I’m sure they’re out there. No-one around here has had any chooks taken as far as I know – don’t want to be the first.

We’re probably more at risk from stray dogs around here. Neighbour across the road lost 3 sheep to them a couple of years ago. There is a house up the road which is home to some real mongrels that get out and go roaming in a pack every now and then. And since our dog died just before Christmas, there’s nothing to stop them wandering onto our property. I’ve also had an influx of rabbits and wallabies who have been eating the tops of all the carrots and the young tomato plants. I think a new dog is in order…

froot_loopz

It looks great.

Bobbee

A new dog sounds just the ticket silentC, but he will take a while to grow into the job, that is of course, if you intend to get a puppy.

Hope you get it soonish and show us some pics, I think most folk on here, or a lot of them at least, enjoy pics. I know I do. 🙂

Bel

Fantatic chicken coop! :tup:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.