Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Nettles in sheep poo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve ThomasSteve Thomas

I’ve about 1m3 of sheep poo that was collected from under a shearing shed a while ago.

Now that spring is here, nettles have sprung up from the pile , quite prolifically I might add.

At the moment it’s just a big pile, burning a hole in my lawn I’m sure. I plan on it going into the compost then the garden.

Will the composting process prevent the nettles coming once in the garden?

BelBel

It depends if the nettles have set seeds or not and how hot your compost is. If you pull out the nettles only and they don’t have seeds, they should break down nicely in the compost and not grow again. If they have set seed or if you plan on composting the manure as well, then you’ll need a hot compost system (a full compost pile of at least 1 m3). The hot compost will kill any seeds and stop them germinating. Did you know you can cook and eat nettles? Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from River Cottage uses them a fair bit. You can also make beers etc. You might also consider soaking your nettles/manure in a bin of water which will drown any seeds and also make a very potent and healthy weed/manure tea for your garden. Make sure you dilute it before you use it though.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I would use the nettles to make a nice & healthy pot of herbal tea for myself.. nettle is an effective blood cleanser, among other things :tup:

Steve ThomasSteve Thomas

Tea eh?

Mmmm

Thanks for he ideas more reading.

SnagsSnags

Nettles are gold

I wish I had some

http://oregonbd.org/Class/accum.htm

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Snags post=358244 wrote: Nettles are gold

I wish I had some

Yes they are!

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I’d be specifically planting any that came up

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Perhaps solarising the pile with black plastic might reduce the risk of them popping up where you dont want them to. I made the mistake of planting a clump in my vege patch- damn things spread by runners- EVERYWHERE!

Steve ThomasSteve Thomas

Thanks folks, tastey or not they are a weed to me (any unwanted plant, even a “good one” in the wrong place is a weed)

Started stacking the hot compost yesterday, sheep poo, horse poo and wood shavings, lawn clippings, kitchen waste, then the rain came. And it hasn’t quit long enough to get out again. Tomorrow perhaps.

Thanks again for the tips.

fruitfulfruitful

Apparently where nettle grows you can be assured you have good soil. I’ve been discovering the benefits of stinging nettle over the last few years and have started harvesting the leaves every year and drying them. This year I found out that as a tea stinging nettle gives good relief for hayfever and so I haven’t bought any medication for our hayfever which has presented us with quite a savings this year. I wish I’d realised that earlier because I would have tripled my efforts back at harvest time. It is also a good source of iron and I find that by drinking it daily I do not feel tired like I used to. I also dry them out completely and crush them into powder and use as a flavouring in foods, it tastes really nice in egg dishes, casseroles, pasta – well everything really. The sting of the nettle is also apparently soothed by the mallow plant that often appears growing nearby so I’ve heard. After picking it for a few years now the sting is much more mild to me and I don’t even need gloves when picking leaves.

Isabel Shippard has much of this information and more at her herb site here:

http://herbsarespecial.com.au/isabells_blog/nettle-many-uses-many-benefits.html

VanessaVanessa

Girl Friday are you talking about Nettles, because the ones I have spread by seeds, they dont spread by runners at all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.