Aussies Living Simply

Negativity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Wazza

Reading some threads on ALS, I often wonder why different people look at the same situation and have extremely varying reactions. For instance, some look at Peak Oil and see the end of the world. Others see it as a wonderful opportunity for us to build a new, post-industrial, pollution-free, sustainable Earth. If you look at the ‘doom and gloom’ threads on here, it’s fairly obvious that pessimists outweigh the optimists. Why?

Well, I think that our brains have an automatic negativity bias. Back in our cave-dwelling days we lived by one simple rule – eat lunch every day, but don’t be lunch. Trusting, happy-go-lucky souls like me, who tripped merrily around smelling the flowers and admiring the beauty of nature, got eaten. Those people whose minds were not primed to immediately target danger didn’t pass their genes on through the evolutionary chain. So our brains, over time, became more deeply ingrained with the bias toward focusing on threats and negativity.

These days we don’t have to worry about becoming lunch for something else (unless we go surfing at certain WA beaches), but our brains are still wired to look at any situation and imagine the worse possible outcome. I may be naive, but I’m a glass half-full person and an eternal optimist. Look back in human history and see who has made the greatest contribution to our advancement and enlightenment. Generally, they were positive thinking people, not those cowering in fear of what may or may not happen. To paraphrase one of President Obama’s recent statements, I believe that humanity’s best days are yet to come. However, if the doomsayers’ theories are correct, my genes won’t be suitable for survival and I’ll be cactus (or lunch). But in the meantime, I’m enjoying life to the fullest. So, c’mon some of you ALSers. Lighten up! Stockpiling for war? Get into the garden. Sow a few vegie seeds, pick some lush red tomatoes and stop to smell the roses. Life’s not all that bad!

I enjoy open and robust discussion and don’t mind people having a go back at me. If you write a provocative post, you have to expect a bit of flak. But bear in mind, while I don’t mind people ‘returning fire’, (after all, it’s your democratic right to free speech), the site moderators don’t always see it that way. They have been issued with special ALS keyboards, which contain a big red button marked “locked thread” and their fingers are poised over it.

I don’t post on here much these days, but I login once a week or so and enjoy reading the various threads. It’s always nice to know there are other like-minded people out there and that I’m not a freak or a weirdo. Someone was asking what happened to Wombat. Yeah Nev, where are you mate? There are a lot of other people I miss too. I guess it’s the transitory nature of the internet – what they call the ‘churn’ factor. Peace, light and blessings to you all.

Steve
    Keymaster

Well written Wazza, I enjoyed reading that!

Life goes on as they say and people move on. But I’ll always welcome their input as they pass by. I have much to thank both present and past members for… 🙂

Erthgirl

Righto… I’m off to plant my seedlings… thanks for inspiring me. I enjoy your posts… :hug: :hug:

mossy

Well said, I couldn’t agree more 🙂

mistyhollows

:hug: Wazza. I do agree with you which is I why I spent the better part of today in the garden 😉 and did nothing else 🙁 and still have to go and do that nothing else….and I like to think I have faith that if anything happens like QLD last year people would help each other out. I still like to think my family would be ok though and it’s nice to think I have that relatively small insurance policy in my cupboard to get us through a month or two if it came to that.

For me, there is always that element of doubt and while I agree it shouldn’t rule your life by any stretch there is nothing wrong with being prepared. Now off to get the BOB photos sorted so you can see what I’ve been doing today 😉

BlueWren

Was just thinking yesterday when someone asked “Where’s Wombat” , where’s Wazza? And I know that could be anywhere in our wide land! Good to hear from you again.

…..and I just sent a message to Wombat through their blog , just to hope all is well, and to say we miss them,but of course they have the right stay silent.

mauzi

So well said Wazza. :clap: :clap:

You are definitely not a freak or a wierdo, probably one of the sanest people I have had the pleasure to contact through the internet.

I am in the enviable position of choosing this life style because I love it….love the earth…love growing things….love breeding animals….love good food :D: …..just love the lifestyle, full stop. We choose this lifestyle long before we had ever heard of peak oil, climate change etc and regardless of what happens in the world, would choose to live this way and seek out and share with like minded people.

We are well prepared for most situations, better than most I suspect, but that is not the reason we live this way and while it is a consideration, I do hope many others also “choose” this lifestyle as well.

I have a firm belief in action from “inspiration” rather than action from “fear” and tend to stay away from threads that have a tendency to dwell on negativity and negative motivation. Just my choice. I have to say that the moderators do an excellent job as well.

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

Wazza post=337778 wrote: They have been issued with special ALS keyboards, which contain a big red button marked “locked thread” and their fingers are poised over it.

Oh don’t be so ridiculous!

The button’s blue.

Hummer
    Keymaster

Wazza post=337778 wrote:

I may be naive, but I’m a glass half-full person and an eternal optimist. Look back in human history and see who has made the greatest contribution to our advancement and enlightenment. Generally, they were positive thinking people, not those cowering in fear of what may or may not happen. To paraphrase one of President Obama’s recent statements, I believe that humanity’s best days are yet to come. However, if the doomsayers’ theories are correct, my genes won’t be suitable for survival and I’ll be cactus (or lunch).

Bahahaha.. good read Wazza :laugh:

I am a glass half full kinda girl too.. we can both be lunch together :clap:

Anonymous
    Inactive

yeah I’m a glass half full kinda person as well..

Locked threads don’t come lightly, and some times they aren’t because we want to lock them. In some cases the majority win, but on others, it is more a case of catch it before it gets away… We do try and leave things be, but some folks just don’t take no for an answer, regardless of the conversion.. There is always someone who knows or has done better than you. Locks are to try and get people back to the glass half full discussions. Not dwell on the political state of the US or of boat people etc etc..

I started this website 8 and half years ago, so I could talk to folks about gardening, making sauce, cheese, soap and what ever was in season.. The site grown somewhat and it has had it’s share of ups and down.. If anyone has been a long time member of any forum on the internet you’ll know that ALS doesn’t differ from them either.. But we battle on and I must say the mods have been pretty bored of late 🙂 I think the ALS Keyboards have nearly all been decommissioned. 🙂

The site has gone through some major infrastructure changes in the last couple of weeks and I thank everyone for the emails and msg’s of support. Myself and the other Admin nerds (Namely Geoff and Dave ) are now just about to embark on yet another major upgrade of the site, which will probablu see a bit of a look and feel change, and it should be a lot faster and easier to navigate.. Fingers crossed I’ll have more on this in a few weeks..

Anyway, sorry to hi-jack the thread.. …. that is all 🙂

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

Seems my tongue in cheek fine blue print on my previous post was missed.

Wazza

Hi Dan. Lovely to hear from you and thank you so much for creating this wonderful website. But, hang on. You say:

Myself and the other Admin nerds (Namely Geoff and Dave ) are now just about to embark on yet another major upgrade of the site, which will probably see a bit of a look and feel change, and it should be a lot faster and easier to navigate.

Well, excuse this old fellow (you can mouse over my birthdate) but if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wazza post=337829 wrote: Well, excuse this old fellow (you can mouse over my birthdate) but if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

That’s the thing there is a lot of hidden stuff that is broke.. and the open source software that we currently use for this website will be not support soon (eg, patch updates for security and what not)

We are about 3 major versions behind. By getting the upgrade done it will as a side effect fix up some of the speed issues and some other minor issues.. The upgrade isn’t as large as the last one, where we went from one particular software package to another. We will be staying with the same software just moving to a much newer version.. From a back end point of view it will be like moving from Windows XP to windows 7.. The forum and general layout of the site will not change much.. I know how you oldies hate change :blush:

Wazza

I know how you oldies hate change.

Heck! And I thought migrating from Windows 3 to windows 95 was the highlight of my computing experience. Yet, I’m running windows XP on this PC and Windows 7 on the laptop, but I’m blowed if I can see a huge improvement in the OS. Although the internet speed has improved by light years.

calliecat
    Participant

and I’m getting fed up of having to log in every time LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.