Aussies Living Simply

Nature just amazes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    peterh

It never ceases to amaze me how quick nature is to move in when given a chance. When we purchased our little stone cottage the block was in a reasonably barren and poor state. Much of it still is. My first job was to create my composting beds. Along a small dividing iron fence I built 3 bays so I could have a constant rotating composting regime on the go. These are open beds covered with cardboard to keep moisture in. Within a short time the first blue tongue lizard appeared from somewhere and has taken up permanent residence there amongst the vast array of decomposer insects that made the beds home. After developing only a small part of the block and getting lots of mulch around at last count we had four blue tongues about of various sizes. This is while the block is still pretty well not developed.

The great surprise I got today was when topping up the latest active compost bin I discovered a frog under the cardboard cover. We have had our first rains in quite some time over the past day or so. I am still digging what I hope will be a frog pond when finished, and the back of the block really has nothing but some new fruit trees in it as the vegie beds are still under construction. For such a small habitat change as the composting bins so much is revolving around them. Get rid of the plastic fantastics and create some good old fashioned compost systems. You too may be amazed at what makes your place home.

cheers

gringo

G’day Peter,

Sounds like u are starting the long, complex but fascinating journey about what makes your own piece of “sustainable living” happen for you.

Enjoy the journey:tup:

plumtree

The whole process of composting is in itself fasinating! Peter is enjoying the added benefits of having wildlife move in. We have a rule that we never put in potato scraps, onions or pumpkin seeds. We have 3 beds that are approx 2m x 4m and the ‘stuff’ that comes out is miraculous. I do not want to highjack your thread but just want to agree on the many bebefits of going to trouble of composting!

PS your place sounds wonderful, please tell us more.

scarecrow

Hi Peter

Great to see you writing a log about your garden activities.

Sure looks like you will get frogs in that pond. The kids will love that! :tup:

I’m glad you’re getting help here about those sleeping trees.

Also for that citrus tree, white oil should help clear up the scale and probably other pests too. Here are some sites with homemade white oil recipes. But don’t make up too much coz you’ll only need enough for one tree! and don’t spray in hot weather so this week looks like a good time..

http://www.abc.net.au/illawarra/stories/s1179626.htm

there’s another recipe here:

http://www.abc.net.au/riverina/stories/s970811.htm

BTW Thanx for the mulberry jam it tastes great!! 😀

peterh

Well vegie bed 7 of 8 is now ready for planting. Scarecrow thanks again for the seedlings, most were planted out today. We decided the bed next to the back water tank would become a herb bed. Close to the rainwater for keeping things going. Also gets a bit of shade in the afternoon.

With many rabbits inhabiting the vacant blocks next door I am hoping my repairs to the fences will hold them out.

As much as I like Galahs they are beginning to get destructive on the Almond. maybe get the kids swing under it for awhile.

For those in SA does anyone know if there is a group that can help get rid of sparrows? I had a sparow eradication program help remove them when I lived in the NT and hoping something similar about here. Their agressive behaviour keeps the native birds away.

cheers

kathy

We have hares in the adjoining bushland that are the size of my dogs. Ive even seen them during the day. I know they would dearly love to come over and sample my veges but the 2 staffies do border patrol and keep them on their side of the fence. Keeps them busy at night. So if you keep a dog in that back yard it might keep the rabbits at bay

peterh

Good idea Kathy, only problem my red heeler, ridgeback, dingo cross which sounds like she should be a good rabbiter is just a tad lazy. Only thing she scares is people who haven’t been licked to death by her.:lol:

peterh

Well the long dormant plum has finally decided to wake up. Good growth at last.

Now if only the pear would follow suit……..

peterh

Cruising about the vegies of late I have discovered another of the great advantages of open bed composting. The wild tomato and pumpkin surprise. As open compost beds generate less heat they destroy fewer seeds. Yes i know this means a few weeds but picking the odd weed is good exercise. This is far outweighed by the growth of these little self sown gems that pop up around the place. Being a bit eclectic in my vegie design if they are strong enough to grow them let them. Probably do better than some of my own propagating efforts.:lol:

peterh

Well the local fox discovered that our house is no longer vacant – last night about 2 AM got up to a noise near the back door. Opened it and sure enough a fox was under the verandah snooping about. The surprise was my normally lazy dog which has up until now ignored every other form of life that visits (thank goodness as she leaves the blue tongues alone), shot past me and was in hot pursuit of fleeing fox. Fox was far too fast but at least it got a scare.

Of course this means i will need to be a lot more vigilant in locking up the chooks of a night. 😆

becca

Love reading about your garden, Peter, and I don’t know if I mentioned but I think your avatar is great too! Glad to hear that the fox hasn’t taken any chooks yet, it’s so devastating when that happens.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.