Aussies Living Simply

Natural deodorants? Who uses them successfully?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Natural deodorants? Who uses them successfully?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

Over the years I had tried to give up chemical deodorants, without much luck, then as a compromise i thought I would use a “deodorant”, rather than an “antiperspirant” deodorant….do you know how hard it is to find a non-antiperspirant deodorant for women in a regular shop???? Anyone would think that us females aren’t supposed to sweat LOL.

I tried the crystal stick ones which only seemed to half work, then I decided to try bicarb…..being too lazy to make my own (and not convinced that it would actually work), i just put the bi-carb in an old film container with a couple of drops of essential oil (lemongrass was what I had on hand) and gave it a stir with a toothpick to mix it through and break up any lumps which formed.

I have to say that this works better than any commercial deodorant I have ever used, no “pong” (even after a sweaty day working in the garden) and none of those yellow deodorant stains on the armpits of my clothes.

I think it would probably be a bit more user friendly if it was made into more of a “cream” consistency with the addition of some coconut oil (which apparently has its own anti bacterial properties), but using it dry works for me, and I don’t have to worry about using too much oil and having oil stains in my armpits.

Interested to hear others thoughts and successes (and failures) on this.

Note, there are a few other threads on this topic but considering they are quite old and have been dormant for some time I thought I would start up a new one.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I’ve been using half and half cornflour and bi-carb for quite a few years now,

get 1/2cup of each, sieve 3 times to make sure it’s mixed in sufficiently but quite happy with it

VanessaVanessa

Can I ask why you mix the cornflour in?

KristyKristy

I use the crystal ones and have found they are the only thing that works really well for me. I haven’t tried bi-carb, but as the crystal works well and lasts forever, happy with that 🙂

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Vanessa post=359595 wrote: Can I ask why you mix the cornflour in?

well it came as the recipe – something about not being able to use bi-carb on it’s own, too abrasive?? – it’s been years so can’t rightly tell you?

I just do it, works great :tup:

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Kristy post=359597 wrote: I use the crystal ones and have found they are the only thing that works really well for me. I haven’t tried bi-carb, but as the crystal works well and lasts forever, happy with that 🙂

they do work great, just dexcept when you drop it on the floor a week after you got it, and it breaks into little pieces 🙁

worked good for me too when I used to use it, lasts at least 2yrs

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I successfully use the crystal as well 🙂

I have tried the bicarb/cornflour method, but found after a few weeks it began to irritate my skin. I do realise that I could have cut back on the amount of bicarb used, but decided to try the crystal & have used it ever since… it’s been years!

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

everyones skin is different, what works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another,

I have used the crystal in the past and was also very happy with it – if you don’t drop and break it, it can last for years – just don’t drop it lol

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

That is very true calliecat 🙂

I have actually dropped mine.. slippery little suckers when wet, lol, but was lucky enough that it didn’t shatter.. it has a small chunk out of it & a lot of cracks through it that don’t seem to reach the outside. It has been like that for over 12 months.

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

I have been thinking of giving up traditional deodorants for a while now. I think the crystal may be my choice. Is there a particular one you would recommend, oh, and of course a rough idea of what I would need to pay?

mudhenmudhen

I’ve been using the Miessence roll on for a few years now, when I remember to use it. I tried the crystal stick but then read that they might not be any better for you than regular deo, so switched. The roll on works well generally but there are times when I get extremely nervous and sweat and there doesn’t seem to be anything to counteract that nervous pong! Doesn’t happen very often, thankfully.

Any men reading this thread? I’d love to have a good natural men’s deo recommended. Roll ons don’t work (lol too much hair gets caught in them apparently!), they wont use a stick type as my dh and boys are addicted to the horrible aerosol sprays. I’d love to have an alternative to offer, ESP for my youngest who is the most open to change.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

earthwalker post=359622 wrote: I have been thinking of giving up traditional deodorants for a while now. I think the crystal may be my choice. Is there a particular one you would recommend, oh, and of course a rough idea of what I would need to pay?

chemist line, natdeo – or deonat??

costs around $10 but it does literally last for years

that is the one I used

very plain cover, red and blue writing

or not lol – not sure of any others available, but this is the one I used

http://www.chemistdirect.com.au/deonat-crystal-deodorant-stick-100ghttp://www.chemistdirect.com.au/deonat-crystal-deodorant-stick-100g

mudhen, – is that also a chemist line?? please,

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I have no idea what a crystal deodorant is, off to google

BronBron

the only thing I’ve found that works well is bicarb soda. Just dampen under the arms and pat some on. I seldom have to reapply 🙂

BelBel

I tried the crystal stick but it did not work for me at all. Haven’t tried bi-carb, but might give it a go. Do you use some sort of shaker or just dab some on from a container with damp fingers?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.