Aussies Living Simply

My little patch of feralaide.

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE The Garden Log My little patch of feralaide.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 287 total)
  • Author
    froot_loopz

On the 25th of September 2009, I bought my first bit of Australia, a suburban semi, in one of the worst area according to some, in Adelaide, this is my backyard, on that date.

this is what it looked like by the middle of summer 2009/2010

froot_loopz

June/July 2010, I decided, I was going to start a vegie patch, peas, brocolli and cabbage to start with. We stood in wet clay, dug out weed, and whatever else was in an area of a backyard and seeded peas, straight into the ground.

However, it wasnt long after that, I got crook, it took all my effort to go to work, come home feed the kids, and then Id go to bed.

So it was left to become over run with weeds again 🙁

froot_loopz

I didnt touch the garden in any way or form till summer of 2010/2011 and I found a use for tyres LOL

froot_loopz

Ive been thinking for a while about a vegie patch, primarily to help us get through the Christmas school holidays, I have no income, besides my single parent pension for about 9 weeks from mid Dec, to mid Feb, and its tough.

so my friend ( me ex, the reason I am here in SA ) took me for a trip, wasnt telling me where we were going but he told me to bring my purse ROFL.

the upshot was, I came home with these (they were seconds, half price)

and the start of our new vegie garden 🙂

froot_loopz

last weekend we filled them with soil, that we had delivered, my two teens, were not impressed being kicked out of bed on a sunday morning to move soil ROFL. I was being told where to go with the camera 🙂

froot_loopz

We filled 3 of those tubs, and a bath.

this weekend I started planting

tomatoes, strawberries, parsley, lettuce and chives.

Ive decided I dont have enough tubs, so may head back to buy some more.

Today, we built a garden shed, still needs to be tied down, and the doors arent on it yet.

I also plan on building a chook, run/coop in the next couple of weeks.

If you are still reading this, thank you 🙂

Steve

Still reading froot_loopz! Looking good.

I’m amazed at how dry your yard got in three months!

I love the flowers in the tyres. Are they petunias?

froot_loopz

petunas but not normal ones, and another sort of flowering plant

they are all dead now, about to be repotted with something that doesnt need replacing at the end of every season

the sprinklers going into the tyres were my first ever attempt at it

I have another 8 or so tyres to go up another the other side of the yard, near my shed

busylizzie

Well done Fruity Loopz :clap: your yard is coming along nicely, love the title :tup:

Hey not a bad ex to have, helping you out like that, even the kids helping you is great, might not have wanted to do it, but they were and Im sure they will enjoy growing and harvesting fresh vegies. Isnt it funny when you grow a few veg and wanting to live a more sustainable lifestyle and you get branded with being a hippy, thankfully people not like that around here everyone thinks its great being more self sufficient. Look forward to more updates on your garden. 🙂

Cheers

Lizzie

gypsyoak

looks great! that looks like a massive block!

froot_loopz

the grassed area is over 400 squares.

then we have some concrete.

some days I look at it and think, Im gonna concrete the whole lot ROFL

Its the one thing I hated about the place, when I bought it, a huge backyard

but if I can put it to practical use, it wont be so bad

Hummer

froot_loopz post=320562 wrote: the grassed area is over 400 squares.

then we have some concrete.

some days I look at it and think, Im gonna concrete the whole lot ROFL

Its the one thing I hated about the place, when I bought it, a huge backyard

but if I can put it to practical use, it wont be so bad

Ooooh don’t hate it FL.. some people would give anything to have a heap of space like that :tup:

You could turn it in to a lovely lush oasis. Go for it 🙂

lavman

Hi fl keep the posts coming, the good thing about a big open space is that you can design it the way you want, the possibilities are endless, maybe try strawberries in your tyres.

I love the pic of your teens :tup: no need for words the picture says it all :laugh:

Cheers

Kev

Iduna

Wow, that back yard is about 4x the total space I have to work with and yours is flat.

The fruit trees, vines and cains I could plant there……

Kristy

Love the backyard, it’s coming along very nicely 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 287 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.