Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

MY COOKBOOK CHALLENGE

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE ALS Challenge Series MY COOKBOOK CHALLENGE

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Forest RavenForest Raven

Hi Dianne,

How’s the challenge going? I did end up making my own curry paste, probably extra motivation coming from this challenge! I just had to keep telling myself it wouldn’t take too long, and it didn’t!

Now, why on earth make your own curry paste, it’s pretty cheap in the supermarket! And after buying the ingredients I’m sure it’s cheaper to buy prepared stuff than make it yourself! But it’s about controlling the ingredients that go into it. I have a bit of an intolerance to onions, garlic and the like, and of course you can’t buy any without those ingredients! And curry is my quick ‘go-to’ meal. Seems to go from prep to mouth in half an hour, and you can throw just about anything into it. Plus, Mr FR likes his food spicy.

I wanted to use my May Kaidee cookbook (picked up in Thailand, so genuine!), but it had very few ingredients, and the garlic seemed pretty important. So then I turned to my Vegan Now cookbook which had a paste with a substantial ingredients list. I kept the chilli seeds in (as per May Kaidee), and omitted the spring onions.

The verdict? Yum! It has a really good lime tang to it…but not much heat, not even to my medium level of preference. I will have to remember to add chilli powder when I cook up the next lot! It made three little tubs (1/4 cup?) that I have frozen, plus about the same, maybe a little more that got cooked into that night’s dinner. I have green chillis still, so green chilli paste shall be coming up in a day or two.

mudhenmudhen

Hey Forest Raven, care to share your curry paste recipe? I have a couple of Indian cookbooks by Charmaine Solomon that I’ve used here and there, and really appreciated being able to mix my own spices too. I have a manual coffee grinder that was a total failure for grinding coffee(took way too long with too much effort), but may try and clean it so I can use it as a spice grinder.

Forest RavenForest Raven

Hi Mudhen,

This was the first time I had used it. I used my green chillis to make green curry paste tonight. I tasted a smidgen of paste and it burnt my mouth. But once cooked in the curry with coconut milk, most of the heat was gone, though it was slightly spicier than the red. The boys actually didn’t add any tobasco on it! But pretty mild all the same. Really depends on the chillis you get! So I now have a little stack of greens in the freezer now! 🙂

The recipe is on page 182 of Vegan Now, by Lynda Stoner who supposedly is an Australian model…or so I’ve been told.

1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp fennel (I assumed seeds)

1 tsp peppercorns

4 cloves

20 x chillis (red or green), seeds removed (I left my seeds in, hoping for heat!)

1/4 cup olive oil

2 large shallots (spring onions), peeled and sliced

1 bunch coriander, chopped

1 stalk lemon grass, chopped finely

2 slices ginger

1/4 grated nutmeg

zest of half a lime

squeeze of lime juice

pinch of salt

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate.

I actually used the mini bowl attachment for my stick blender. Most things were chopped up well enough, though I did catch a couple of peppercorns between my teeth. Oh, and tonight I forgot the oil, which explains something, but was still pretty good!

Enjoy!

Forest RavenForest Raven

Whoops, the back of the book tells me that Lynda is an Australian actress, in ‘The Young Doctors’ and ‘Cop Shop’, and is Eve Wilder in ‘Prisoner’.

BelBel

I cooked a green mango salad tonight from Luke Nguyen’s ‘The Songs of Sapa’ cookbook. It was delicious! I’ve been really enjoying buying seasonal ingredients from the market and using them to shape my meals. Last night I cooked a creamy mushroom pasta with 4 different types of mushroom from the market (enoki, oyster, button & one either Asian type I can’t remember the name of right now). It was also yummy! I love the market.

diannedianne
    Participant

:wave: Hi everyone, been off line with a dodgie modam :angry: :angry: :angry:

decided to work today :shrug: blo##dy computers, anyway…

thoses currie pastes look good :tup:

I have been slack and not made anything else yet, been to stressed about having no net- no ALS 🙁 :huh: :angry:

Shall try something soon and be back. hopfully :S

AuroraOzAuroraOz

Just saw this today and it looks like a great idea! I have about 2 shelves worth of cookbooks at home and i do use some of them so i don’t feel to bad about them but this might motivate me to use the ones i tend to ignore more often than not. It is a bit hard as i’m only cooking for myself so if it’s not able to be frozen it may get thrown out if i get sick of eating it so i usually stick to things that freeze well.

pennypenny

One of the DS gave me Jamie Oliver’s 30 Min Recipes and I am trying them out. It spurred me on to put my own herb garden in and all his recipes use easily available ingredients. So far all have worked really well. They did take me a bit longer than 30 mins the fastest has been 45 min so far but I am improving. I like his ideas about serving-he used the cooking utensil where he can.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

mudhenmudhen

Hey Penny, I bought that recently for my DH and 3 teenage boys. I really wondered about the 30 mins, especially for people who aren’t exactly gourmet chefs already lol! Let me know what worked well for you, we haven’t used it at all YET!

Gosh, I had this idea recently too, probably also inspired by the movie and by packing my gorgeous recipe books into boxes to take to the new house. I’m in for this challenge too, maybe one night a week will be recipe book night. Thanks :).

AuroraOzAuroraOz

I’ve borrowed a copy of Jamies book from the library and am liking his ideas, so it looks like i might have to get my own copy as i have to give the library one back soon. It’s good to know that i’m not the only one who has found the recipes take longer than 30 mins 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.