Aussies Living Simply

Music quilt

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING The Crafts Music quilt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

This is my latest quilt finish – a quilt with a music theme given as a graduating present to a couple of Salvation Army officers.

What are you working on?

Attached files

BelBel

That quilt is beautiful Earthmotherwithin! Many hours of work there, I imagine!

My sister is 13 weeks pregnant, so I plan to make a quilt for her baby soon. I’ve bought a heap of ties in silver and purple which are her favourite colours and plan to use the fabric from those to make the quilt. I also have the silver bridesmaid dress I wore for her wedding which I’ll use in there too (it’s not suitable to wear again). The only thing is that they’re finding out the sex of the baby at 18 weeks and I’m wondering if it might be too ‘girly’ for a boy….. I plan to use a star pattern I picked up on craftsy.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Sounds lovely Bel – and will be full of sentiment too!

RommieRommie

Wow! Great work! :tup:

BronBron

That’s quite amazing!

I’m trying to encourage my 14 yr old to start sewing with the purpose of making a bit of pocket money. I can sew but not neatly enough, but she can sew a straight line very well! Hoping to convince her to keep learning as it may put her through uni or whatever.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Bron, sewing is a lovely skill to have. I am so glad that my High School taught me the basics.

Your 14 year old might find some inspiration on Pinterest. My DIL finds all sorts of help and ideas there.

There are also great tutorials on YouTube so that you can learn lots of stuff.

I note a lot of younger people are now interested in either making their own clothes from scratch or ‘upcycling’ their op shop clothes.

dierichdierich
    Participant

I’ve never had the patience for sewing, so can only admire people who do such fabulous quilts!

I have picked up the knitting needles this week for the first time in years to knit myself a big jacket. So far, so good, I hope the enthusiasm doesn’t wear off when I get back to work, or the weather improves making me want to be outside again!

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Good luck with the knitting, dierich!

porgeyporgey

It looks lovely and what a great cause, hearty congratulations EMW.

I have a young rather rebellious cousin who is going through a loud singing phase at the moment but who is so tone deaf it makes fingers on the blackboard a choral delight. I refer to him as a Treble Without a Cause and just hopes he finds a better channel to express his boundless energy.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

porgey, I don’t think that a music quilt would fix his tone! LOL

porgeyporgey

Probably not but I hope it may open his eyes, as opposed to his tonsils, to something beautiful.

luvinhluvinh

wow o wow

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

What a beauty….such a lot of work in that one and the colours are lovely. :tup: I am attempting to finish a string quilt for my DIL, a wagga for my sister and a few more couch quilts out of sarongs picked up at Op Shops.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

That is interesting, Earthwalker. I have looked at sarongs and wondered about using them in a quilt!

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

Sarong couch quilts are excellent for practicing quilting techniques/stitches, rather than messing around with scraps or attempting something new on a more expensive project. I will try and attach one I made recently.

The top is a sarong, for batting I used an old single bed cotton mattress protector and the backing is a piece of vintage sheeting, for binding I just used some cotton drill offcuts from another project.

Attached files

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.