Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Multiplier Leeks

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Wanted Multiplier Leeks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    alicealice

Does anyone know where I could get some perennial or multiplier leeks?

SnagsSnags

They all multiply if you leave them in the ground

It has been said that leeks are a true perennial, even though they are generally referred to as biennials.

If left in the ground, leeks can multiply by small lateral growths that often develop little, roundish bulbs at the base of the leek stem.

Nip out the flower stems and this bonus crop, of leek bulbs will grow.

These small white bulbs will form at the base of the plant, and if you harvest them in early summer you can use them as onions or shallots.

http://www.sacgardens.org/sustaingarden/leek.html

BobbeeBobbee

Thanks for that info Snags. :tup:

I keep my leeks ‘going’ by cutting the leek off above the ground instead of pulling the whole leek out roots and all.

After a while, and sometimes quite quickly really, more leeks will grow from the bottom of the first cut leek. Sometimes just one leek and sometimes two leeks.

I have some plants still growing into their third year.

🙂

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

You must have cut too deeply if you got a leak Bobbs. 😉

Sorry… 🙂

DinyDiny

Green Harvest sells these.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I think Kookaburra Organics do.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

While it is true that you can treat any leek as a perennial, the multiplier leeks are very different.

Mine flower most years but have only ever produced viable seed once and I am reasonably sure that was a cross with giant russian garlic (which is also a type of perennial leek). The perennial leeks produce dozens and dozens of offsets from the base each year, regular leeks only produce a small number. Mine die down to bulbs where I live in the heat of summer, before we moved here they never died down and used to grow all year. They also do not get quite as large as many regular varieties of leek.

Places like gumtree or allclassifieds have perennial leek pretty often. There seems to be some for sale there now.

BobbeeBobbee

Steve post=361102 wrote: You must have cut too deeply if you got a leak Bobbs. 😉

Sorry… 🙂

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don’t be sorry Steve, go for it ………

🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Mukluk post=361160 wrote: While it is true that you can treat any leek as a perennial, the multiplier leeks are very different.

Mine flower most years but have only ever produced viable seed once and I am reasonably sure that was a cross with giant russian garlic (which is also a type of perennial leek). The perennial leeks produce dozens and dozens of offsets from the base each year, regular leeks only produce a small number. Mine die down to bulbs where I live in the heat of summer, before we moved here they never died down and used to grow all year. They also do not get quite as large as many regular varieties of leek.

Places like gumtree or allclassifieds have perennial leek pretty often. There seems to be some for sale there now.

Thanks for that info Mukluk, I had no idea that an actual perennial leek was available. I shall have a look around and hopefully buy some.

🙂

KasaliaKasalia

Bobbee sent you a message, did you get it?

BobbeeBobbee

Thank you Kasalia.  I only managed to re enter the site this evening and I have read you message but I still haven’t worked out how to answer a pm.

I very much like what you said and will have another go over the weekend at trying to send an answer.

🙂

KasaliaKasalia

Ha Ha got it don’t we sound mysterious lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.