Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Muesli Bars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    boy wranglerboy wrangler

I’m looking for a recipe for Muesli Bars.

The guy on Better Homes and Gardens did one on the last episode but I didn’t write it down and I can’t find it on the website.

Anyone got a tried and true recipe?

osakasuzosakasuz

That recipe is in the current issue of the magazine….

BelBel

I want the BHG recipe too – it looked yummo! I make a weetbix slice that’s quite nice and never fails. I’ve just started experimenting with it by using other dried fruit instead of sultanas (eg apricots) and it’s really nice. Will try some nuts/seeds in the next batch. Here goes:

Ingredients:

1 cup SR flour

5 weet bix, crushed

1 cup dessicated coconut

4 Tbsp margarine (about 75 grams)

2/3 cup sugar

1 beaten egg

1 cup sultanas

1 Tbsp golden syrup or honey

Method:

Preheat overn to 150 degrees celcius. Grease baking tin and line bottom with greased baking paper. Mix margarine, sugar and honey together (I melt it together). Add sultanas, egg & coconut. Mix in flour and weetbix. Press mixture into baking tin. Bake 20-25 mins. Cut into squares whie warm but leave in tin til cool.

You can add icing once cool if you like.

You can also also divide the mixture in half and spread a thin layer of jam in the middle. Mmmmm.

BelBel

This is another recipe I haven’t had a chance to try yet – it was in an old edition of Grass Roots.

FRUIT BARS

400g dried apricot halves (soaked over night)

200g raisins & sultanas (soaked over night)

200g mixed nuts

150g dessicated coconut

100g wholemeal flour

100g regular oats

75ml soya or olive oil

75ml apple juice concentrate

1 tsp almond essence

50g pumpkin seeds

50g sesame seeds

50g sunflour seeds

Method:

Heat oven to 150 degrees celcius. Grease a 25×30 cm cake tin and line with paper. Mix all ingredients together by hand until it forms soft pliable mixture. Add more liquid if required. Pour into tin, flatten with hands. Bake 30-40 mins or until browned. Cut when cool

HerbmanHerbman

I have a BHG magazine here … the recipe is:

Low GI muesli bars

1 cup desiccated coconut

1/2 cup wheatgerm

1 1/4 cup rolled oats

1/4 cup oat bran

2 tbsp sesame seeds

1/4 cup sunflower seeds

1/4 cup pumpkin

1/4 cup pecans, chopped

1/4 cup almonds, chopped

1/4 cup dried apricots, diced

1/3 cup raisins

1/4 cup dried peaches, sliced

200g unsalted butter

1/2 cup honey

1 cup low GI sugar

Line 28cm slice tray with baking paper.

Combine coconut, wheatgerm, oats, oat bran, seeds and nuts, and spread on an oven tray. Toast under hot grill for 5 mins. Remove and mix in dried fruit.

Put butter, honey and sugar in heavy-based pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 8 minutes until bubbles slow and caramel forms a soft ball when dropped in a cup of cold water. Stir caramel into museli mixture.

Working quickly, press combined mixture into prepared tray. Lay a sheet of baking paper on top and press firmly with a flat tray to compress slice.

Allow to cool then cut into pieces with an oiled knife.

Store in airtight containers and eat within 7 days.

(Better Homes and Gardens September 2009 p. 126)

BelBel

Thanks Herbman!! :hug:

boy wranglerboy wrangler

thanks Herman! I might cut some of the sugar back though. Lord knows my two year old doesn’t need all that sugar as well as all the dried fruit!

Your two recipes look good too Bel!

VanessaVanessa

I believe you can watch the segment again off the web here

If that doesnt work you should be able to get to it from their home page

boy wranglerboy wrangler

wow thanks vanessa, I searched everywhere last night!

i made these bars with DS1 this arvo and while they’re not completely set I snuck a taste and they are good! we didn’t have sesame seeds so I left them out, the only nuts we had were macadamias in the freezer and the only dried fruit we had were sultanas and apricots but they seem to have worked!

awalshawalsh

Hi there

I invented this last weekend (no butter, oil or eggs)

1 c Wholemeal SR Flour

1 tbs raw sugar

1 tbs honey

1 c soy milk

1 c mixed dry fruit/nuts seeds (cranberries, goji, sultanas, mango pepitas, rough chopped almonds/cashews) (anything works well)

1 c rolled oats

Mix all together, press into lined tray, bake 180C for about 20mins.

When cool, drizzle with melted choc & cut into squares.

mummaknowsmummaknows

This is the mueslie bars i make, i cut them into long fingers and freeze. I like it too cause no butter or sugar

2 cup rolled oats

2 cup of cornflakes, crushed a bit. (You need 4 cups of cereal in total, i have also used weetbix, cherios, mueslie, i use up all them ‘bits’ nobody seems to eat)

1 cup desicated coconut

1 and half cup of ‘goodies’. nuts, seeds, dry fruit, choc bits etc.

2 eggs

1 tin sweetened conensed milk

2 large tablespoons of either honey or golden syrup

Oven at 180, and greese and line a lamington tin

mix all dry together

beat eggs

i find if i warm the condensed milk and honey it mixes through the dry ingredients better.

Mix everything together and press into tin, bake for about half hour then turn down oven, and leave door ajar to dry them out if you want them a bit crunchy.

let cool in tin and slice.

boy wranglerboy wrangler

awalsh & mummaknows those recipes look great too.

after picking at the BHG ones all arvo, i’ve realised they really are too sweet. my little man (and me either really) doesn’t need that much sweetness (he’s so sweet already ha ha:tongue:) so we’ll be trying another recipe once these are gone.

keep them coming, i want to road test them all!

mudhenmudhen

A friend gave me a recipe for Florentine Slice which I have been using to make muesli bars for the last couple of months. Supply is unable to keep up with demand! It’s a very rough recipe, so I’ll do my best to make it understandable. My girlfriend melts a whole block of chocolate onto a slice tray (the one I use is about 25 x 33 cm) then adds the topping. I’ve simplified that to simply spreading a bag of choc bits onto the baking paper lined tray. The muesli mix changes everytime I make it depending on which child is nearest the kitchen, but as a general rule it needs to add up to not more than 5 cups. I start with 1 – 1 1/2 cups oatmeal, 1 cup of puffed rice, and 2 or so cups of any mixed nuts and seeds — we like almonds, pecans, peanuts, sunflower and sesame seeds. Often add 1/2 – 1 cup of dried fruit — craisins, dried apricots, sultanas. This is then mixed with 1 tin of sweetened cond milk (I make my own) and blobbed on top of the choc bits. Press down to compress, then bake at 150 C for about 1/2 hr. Longer cooking makes it crunchier, but can get a bit too stiff if really browned. We really love the nuts and seeds, but you could even buy pre-mixed muesli and use that, or use cornflakes, crushed weet-bix or whatever.

Happy testing!

boy wranglerboy wrangler

ok, in my quest for muesli bars i’m going to give all of these recipes a go! I’ll let you know how we go! so far I’ve made the BHG one and it was soooooo sweet, far too sweet for my 2 year old!

Yesterday we gave Bel’s weet bix slice a go and it was yummy! easy to make, DS loved crushing up the weet bix (finally something constructive for his destructo nature ;)) and we adding pepitas and sunflower seeds too. the only problem is they are really dry and crumbly. i cut them about 5 mins after they’d come out of the oven, and left in tin to cool. I’m thinking maybe another egg? anyway, we’re salvaging what we can to eat as muesli bars and the rest we’ll eat as cereal for breaky – yum!

BelBel

I cooked the BHG museli bars this week, but I used half the amount of sugar (and used raw sugar). I didn’t use nuts cos they’re not allowed at kindy, but I added craisins and chopped dates. Yummo! Next time I’m going to halve the honey as well cos they were still quite sweet. :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.